User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2012, 05:29 PM   #31
Questor
More Undestructable

Oddometer: 4,105
Good on ya Mate!

I did the same sort of thing some 8-10 years ago.

I was in China on business, and kept seeing all the moped and small motorcycles being used for transportation and carrying things...

Then I walked past a BMW dealership in Bangkok...

Well that afternoon I was on E-bay...
A few hours later I had bought a BMW F650GS and it was being shipped to my parents house in the US.

A week or so later I got a phone call from my Dad.
"Um, son? A truck just dropped off a motorcycle. Do you know anything about this?"

"Well... actually, I bought that bike while I was in China and um..."

"Son, you don't know how to ride a motorcycle..."

"I know. But how hard can it be?"

- Long pause -

Anyway, some eight years later Adventure Motorcycling has become my life and my job... and it's the best thing that has ever happened to me.

I've seen so many wonderful places, met so many great people, and have so many memories of things I have done, both smart and "not so much".

I can't imagine life any other way.

So, I applaud you're impulsiveness.

Thanks for your Ride Report, and welcome to the ADV asylum.

Q~
Questor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:39 PM   #32
billyt53
Phast Phossil

Oddometer: 593
Great RR mate. Had me in stitches. I probably wouldn't do the drunken ebay purchase but I applaud you for having the balls to carry it out. Great stuff. Enjoy you travels.

Billy

South America on Two Wheels
Another photography book by me
billyt53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:28 PM   #33
oldtrucks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by motrin's my buddy View Post
I think "Oldtrucks" only helped pick my bike up once. The worse dropping of my bike was just after I put gas in the tank at Stovepipe wells. I pulled 10 feet away from the pump and just fell over. Don't know why, didn't hurt anything, just fell over in front of the store and gas station and everyone that was there. Thank God I had the support of my old friend "Oldtrucks" who walked up from the pump and ask "why did you do that?" How do you respond to just falling over for no reason? .

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowe2815 View Post
I havent dropped my bike at a petrol station yet but i have fallen over myself. I had been for a ride and pulled in, fueled up and paid when i went to climb back on i think my pants had slipped down a little and the low hanging crutch limited my leg movement. My boot hit my seat and i went tumbling backwards like some drunken fool and landed on my arse between two petrol pumps while 3 kids and their mother laughed like loons at me.
Motrin's My Buddy is right, a genuine parallel universe exists, at the very least you two were separated at birth.

I know this much, you share the same attitude and that's going to get you through when you run out of talent
oldtrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:21 AM   #34
Gramp-Z
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 789
Damn , that made my day ! Great first report . Always like reports from down under , wish I could come down and ride for a year or so . Welcome to the fun . My favorite line was ...... “Well that would just be a waste of good food, he’ll be dead in a couple of hours” Hope to see many more reports from you , like your style .
Old Man plays with his Wee
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=608068
Gramp-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:22 PM   #35
Isgro
Free ranging...

Oddometer: 48
Great ride report. Too f'ing funny. I look forward to more RRs from ya.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:47 PM   #36
Rainshadow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 370
Translator!

First off, great ride report. As someone who's just come back to riding after a 30 year layoff I can totally appreciate and enjoy your writing! Just a couple of things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowe2815 View Post
I'm thinking that someone in Oz has a real sense of humor to name an iced coffee drink "The Stubby". I'd hate to see what the extra large size is named....

Second:

Quote:
get the soap dodging inmates firmly on the gristle.
Can you translate this into Amerikan? I think I want to laugh about it, but I'm thinking maybe I want to cringe instead...could be a bit of both?

More ride reports please!
Rainshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:15 AM   #37
crowe2815 OP
kenoath

Oddometer: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainshadow View Post
First off, great ride report. As someone who's just come back to riding after a 30 year layoff I can totally appreciate and enjoy your writing! Just a couple of things.

"There are a few old land rovers out the front of the toy museum that should get the soap dodging inmates firmly on the gristle"

Can you translate this into Amerikan? I think I want to laugh about it, but I'm thinking maybe I want to cringe instead...could be a bit of both?

More ride reports please!
Thanks to every one for the comments they are much appreciated.

Rainshadow
Our english friends are often refered to as "soap dodgers" down here, and "firmly on the gristle" is just another way to say they a sporting an erection.

So in translation it would read something like

Here is a photo of some old landrovers that may cause people from england to become sexually aroused (because they are for some unknown reason proud of the bloody things)

Here is a little more explanation on the soap dodger origins from the urban dictionary

Soap Dodger

A slang term for people from england. During the early to mid 20th century the english were famous for only washing once a year. The english considered bathing to be bad for the health. Hence the expression that they were adept at dodging the soap.

And finally, i certainly hope to be able to post many more RR in the future

crowe2815 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:07 PM   #38
Rainshadow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 370
Thanks for the edumacation

I'm not sure that the Brits ever stopped dodging soap...we all know that they are adept at dodging dentists as well. Apologies to Her Majesty's Subjects, but I'm friends with too many of your ex-pat countrymen here in Oregon to let that one slide without a bit of commentary.

"Firmly on the gristle" has just jumped the pond and is now going to be used freely and frequently here in Bend, Oregon. I expect it to spread like a virus.
Rainshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:39 PM   #39
SixOneGiraffe
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Though at the time parts of your adventure may not have seemed fun, they were entertaining as hell to read about.

Please make another inebriated eBay purchase: a helmet cam so we can hear and see of your adventures while some of them are happening!!

Thanks for sharing your RR!!
SixOneGiraffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:53 AM   #40
Balia
Slow

Oddometer: 89
Mate, 2 things.

One-put a warning in the title-DON'T READ THIS AT WORK. No way is the boss going to believe I'm writing up my monthly report if he walked into the office when I was reading this.
Balia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:48 PM   #41
ABritOnMaui
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainshadow View Post
I'm not sure that the Brits ever stopped dodging soap...we all know that they are adept at dodging dentists as well. Apologies to Her Majesty's Subjects, but I'm friends with too many of your ex-pat countrymen here in Oregon to let that one slide without a bit of commentary.

"Firmly on the gristle" has just jumped the pond and is now going to be used freely and frequently here in Bend, Oregon. I expect it to spread like a virus.
That's ok :) We know you salad¹ \ education² dodgers like to make fun of our teeth! I'm not entirely sure the 20th century quote is accurate, 19th would be far more appropriate. I shall put the mistake down to your education system being as poor as your health system³ ;)

¹
http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/he...health-obesity
http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/fo...ds-restaurants

²
http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/ed...pending-of-gdp

³
http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/he...ing-per-person
https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat.../2102rank.html
https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat.../2091rank.html
https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat.../2223rank.html

Edited: Was looking for some stats on how bad english teeth were :) Found some rather more disturbing stats on my own comments. Discussion is best limited to CS&M, but wow :( I thought things were better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crampfan View Post
We have the same trouble here. What I don't understand is If it's called tourist season, why can't I shoot them

ABritOnMaui screwed with this post 05-14-2012 at 05:42 PM
ABritOnMaui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 04:56 AM   #42
Nick4R4
Ride On....

Oddometer: 119
Thumb

Hats off to ya mate, I read my share of RR's but never have wet myself laughing. Your style of writing,
"say it as you see it" was enough to make me just want to read more and not worry about any pics.

Sure hope you post more or even just have a yarn.

Onya
Nick4R4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:38 AM   #43
GordyOZ
Lesser grey wobbler

Oddometer: 280
Read this today and larfed my head off, hope you have enjoyed many more excursions, Myself and my wife used to live in the house just up the hill from the hospital turn off in Andamooka when she was teaching at the school and I was buggerising around with mono's over at the dam, love that country and hope to get back over there and play in the flinders/lake eyre zone again soon