Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2011, 10:10 AM   #151
k7 OP
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBeBe View Post
Forgot about this thread. I was going to post this and forgot to as well. Earlier in the year I was over my mother's house and my stepdad was watching a Mets game. Being a Yankees fan I never watch the Mets but in this game Matt Downs hit a late inning pinch hit homerun. I remembered the name from this thread, and wondered how he was doing. Seems like pretty good with a .284 average and playing all over the field. Every team needs a guy like that.
Cool story!

Agreed - knowing Matt, he'll embrace that role and succeed at it. I can't help but watch in amazement at his progress. Think about it - he was a pitcher in college, earned a shot at 3rd base for his senior year, wasn't drafted until the 36th round behind well over 1,000 players, watched the Giants give a 15 year old a $2.1M bonus (only to be accused of murder, did pretty well at high A ball, moved to low A and then AAA, was invited as a non-roster player to spring series and worked his way up to the bigs last year where he played with the Giants long enough to win a NLCS and WS ring. Now, he's got a shot at adding more positions to his skills and earn more playing time.

It's pretty damn cool.
k7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:29 PM   #152
k7 OP
Ancien cyclist

quick update

Matt appears to be firmly entrenched as a back-up player for Houston. The depth chart has him at six different positions. He did have HR's in back-to-back games recently when he subbed for Carlos Lee at first base. He's doing pretty well and it'll be nice when he swings through PHX later in the summer.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:42 PM   #153
RLK

Oddometer: 6,303
Double Downs. Its amazing to read all four years of his story. I'm coming back around to baseball. Its a great passtime.

The Astros come to Denver next week. I can't get there then but we are going Sat. for Rocks v Braves. $15 for left field first level if bought at King Soopers. That's a fair price for a fun day.

Here's to Matt's success in 2012 and to good guys doing good everywhere.

-Juanito on the Yahoo!
RLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:26 PM   #154
k7 OP
Ancien cyclist

2 home runs....

Glad you enjoyed it - hard to believe we've been keeping this alive since 2008!

For your viewing pleasure.........

In Cincy - off the end of his bat to the opposite side:

linky

Let's just say that he got every bit of a knuckleball that didn't:

linky
Old 05-03-2012, 10:11 PM   #155
RLK

Oddometer: 6,303
Where's the Monk?

The kid is doing it right. It took him all of 23 seconds to round the bases. That's hustle, not gloatin' time. I like it. I like these clips too. If you can measure the time from contact to seats and the distance you can estimate the speed of the ball through the air. The first clip it might go 100 fps! The second one sounds like a broken bat! Atta boy Double Downs!

-Juanito on the Yahoo!
RLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:16 AM   #156
k7 OP
Ancien cyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLK View Post
Where's the Monk?

The kid is doing it right. It took him all of 23 seconds to round the bases. That's hustle, not gloatin' time. I like it. I like these clips too. If you can measure the time from contact to seats and the distance you can estimate the speed of the ball through the air. The first clip it might go 100 fps! The second one sounds like a broken bat! Atta boy Double Downs!
I think Kevin has cut w-a-y back on his posting here. I've seen him on FB occasionally. I miss Waxy - he was a good guy and I wish he'd come back. Not sure why or what happened but that's life I suppose.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:43 AM   #157
k7 OP
Ancien cyclist

One chapter closes, another opens!

Link

Wow - can't believe that this thread has been going this long. Last year, Matt was with the Marlins' farm club but I don't believe he played a lot. I suppose it was the beginning of the end.

It's nice to see Matt starting a new chapter as a coach:
11/7/13 – Marion Military Institute is excited to announce the hiring of Matt Downs as their Head Baseball Coach, effective immediately. Matt Downs graduated from Bibb County High School, where he played in two state championship games, winning the 4A state title in 2001. He spent one year at Shelton State as a pitcher/infielder before being drafted in the 25th round by the Pittsburgh Pirates in the 2003 MLB June Amateur Draft. He chose not to sign with the Pirates and accepted a baseball scholarship to the University of Alabama. Downs played his last three years at UA where he helped Alabama win the Southeastern Conference Championship in 2006. He earned a Player of the Week Award that May after his strong hitting performance against the University of Tennessee helped Alabama clinch the championship. Downs hit .290 (81-for-279) with seven home runs and 67 RBI in his 80-game career at UA, with the majority of his playing time coming as a senior in 2006.

Matt Downs was drafted out of Alabama by the San Francisco Giants in 2006 in the 36th round. Downs reached the major leagues in 2009, starting at second base temporarily for the Giants during that season. He played a few games with them in 2010 before he was claimed off waivers by the Houston Astros that August. Downs spent the entire 2011 season in the major leagues, batting .276 and leading the major leagues with 15 pinch-hit runs batted in (RBI). Following the 2012 season, the Astros made him a free agent and he signed a minor league contract with the Miami Marlins in 2013.

Downs has worked as a pitching coach, field and hitting instructor at all levels.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:11 AM   #158
MikeyT
Krusty Olde Pharte™

Oddometer: 5,128
I've been casually following this thread. It looks like Matt gave it the old college try. He has the NLCS and WS rings, which few of us have ever done. Good luck to him in his coaching career.

99 Shadow Spirit 1100

"Non Illegitimi Carborundum"
MikeyT is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: