Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2012, 10:23 PM   #61
Nevada
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
Triumph Sprint ST. 955 or 1050.
The VFRs are great also.
Both the VFRs and Sprints can be tweaked on ergos. If you want a half-faired bike, the Sprint RS (955 triple) is great and can be had for low bucks.

Were it me though, I'd go with the Tiger 800 of the "middleweight ST" given your criteria.
Nevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:58 PM   #62
SnappNBrrap
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
VFR thats my dream bike. butter smooth V4, comfortable, powerful, pretty good wind protection stock, fantastic looking, and handles very well.

09 Yamaha FZ6 in Faster Blue
SnappNBrrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:03 PM   #63
Butters OP
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,341
Well, I'm not yet sure if it's what I want or need, but I'm likely going to meet up with an Ohio rider in PA and possibly swap the K for a V . . .(Strom). It's a no-commitment meet and ride, so it may help me decide if a bigger adventure type bike is right or if I should lean more toward something like the VFR.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:38 PM   #64
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,459
Ducati ST3

IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:29 AM   #65
jas67
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by thfraser View Post
I had a '07 Guzzi Norge and sold it before I got my Tiger. I found it a very nice bike.

Motor - I love the Triumph Triples. The Norge has a good motor, but mine pinged a lot more than I liked, and although it was pretty good in the torque department, the trumpet just has a better motor. The 1050 motor spins up faster than either my 955 or the Guzzi
The Guzzitech reflash will cure the pinging problem. The previous owner of my Breva 1100 (basically the same bike as the Norge, less fairings, and 100cc less) had the same problem, as well as just generally not great fueling at all RPMs. He got the Guzzitech reflash, and that cured all. My Breva has the optional gel seat, which makes it (and the Norge) an all-day-comfortable bike.

The 90-degree V-twin is smooth, yet has character lacking in many 4-cylinder engines. It has good torque throughout the rev range, and pulls strong the whole way to redline. Don't expect Harley-like torque below 3,500 RPM, these twins are tuned to make their best power from 3,500-7,500. The Breva has a nice relaxed cruise RPM of about 4,000 at 70, although, it really loves to cruise at 85 .

Yes, the dealer network is kind of thin, but Guzzis are very simple bikes to work on. If you do you own work, parts aren't a problem, as there are several very good dealers who will ship to you (M.P.H. cycles, Harper's Moto, and Rider's Hill to name a few). I don't know about the later 8-valve motor, but the 4-valve (2 per cylinder) motor is very simple to work on. Valve adjustments are a simple set-screw/lock nut affair, and with only 4 valves total (vs. say, 16 on your typical inline four), it is a relatively quick job, with no shims to buy. All Guzzi's are air (& oil) cooled, so no cooling system maintenance.
Honda: 01 VFR800, 93 VFR400R(NC30), plus many vintage Hondas.
Scooters: 2007 Vespa GTS250ie, 2009 Kymco Agility 125
jas67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:19 AM   #66
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,459
Speaking of pinging...

A friend of mine has a new Tiger with three burned pistons...

Triumph is fighting waranty coverage...

IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:29 PM   #67
Butters OP
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,341
I traded the K75 for a 2005 V-Strom 1000 today. It wasn't really what I expected and wasn't exactly what I wanted, but I did like it a lot. Both of us left happy.

It is definitely way more toward "tourer" than "sport", but I think it is going to scratch the itch for awhile. It cruises the highway much better than the K75. On twisty back roads, I really didn't think it handled any better but I was also riding an unfamiliar bike. The suspension does feel better over the road though - I guess 20 years of advancements is worth something. I think for both myself and the other rider, it was simply a chance to ride another bike for awhile.

But now I need to buy some crap and make it my own.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:37 AM   #68
Scott of the Sahara
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
Good for you. The V Strom was out for me because I couldn't touch the ground while sitting on it. I rode my friend's K-75 a couple of years ago just when I was getting back into riding. I loved it. I rode it again last spring (1 year ago). He lives in France.
Scott of the Sahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:32 AM   #69
ag_streak
Tiene Ruta Cuarenta?

Oddometer: 3,138
I always tell everyone the vstrom makes a great sport tourer. One of the most comortable bikes I ever rode, and yes, thete is a TON of crap available!

Improve your cosmic karma here!
ag_streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:39 AM   #70
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by ag_streak View Post
I always tell everyone the vstrom makes a great sport tourer. One of the most comortable bikes I ever rode, and yes, thete is a TON of crap available!
The also look surprisingly less vomitous with the factory lowers installed.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:48 PM   #71
Alton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
Now that it doesn't matter anymore and I'm wishing I had read to the bottom of the thread first........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters View Post
Tiger 1050: ... what really hit me was how big it is - nice looking, but big ...

Bandit 1250: ... I'm not real fond of the 550 pound weight, but all that low end grunt is really appealing.

I don't think you can really go wrong with ANY of the bikes you have listed. However, since I've owned both of these bikes, I'll put in my $0.02 on them.

The Tiger: It is tall, but very manageable and a hell of a good time. The view over traffic is nice up there. :) I would test ride it before writing it off for size.

The Bandit: I've owned both a 1200 and a 1250, and I can tell you that unless you expect to throw it around like a GSXR, you'll never notice that weight. The Tiger is 100 lbs lighter, but the "butt feel" is about the same for both of them since the Bandit carries its weight lower. Both bikes have lots of low down grunt, but the bandit has more, which carries it off the line in superb fashion even with the extra 100 lbs.

Alton screwed with this post 05-01-2012 at 12:49 PM Reason: Realized I'm late to the party.
Alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:14 AM   #72
ag_streak
Tiene Ruta Cuarenta?

Oddometer: 3,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alton View Post
... the Bandit carries its weight lower. Both bikes have lots of low down grunt, but the bandit has more, which carries it off the line in superb fashion even with the extra 100 lbs.

I agree. If you consider the 1250 Bandit as a sport-tourer and compare it to factory-made sport-tourers like the FJR1300, ST1300, or R1200RT, it's a featherweight. Not to mention a bargain.

Improve your cosmic karma here!
ag_streak is offline   Reply With Quote