Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2012, 04:47 AM   #1516
Wallachian Spikes
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 682
Quote:
Originally Posted by pachap View Post
Due to this and some other reasons I made the decision not to deal with this dealer some time ago. I go in there every now and then to see something I might like to buy from another dealer.

That said, the more I think on it I may put a deposit down on one to make sure I get it. I am about sold on it, but I need to kick it around a little more. I called another dealer that is about a little over an hour away to ask about it. He told me that he would be getting some in, but couldn't tell me if they would be the manual or DCT versions. So I'm not taking a chance on a deposit with that dealer if he is going to try and stick me with a DCT.
I don't think the DCT version will be available in the U.S. but, it's possible that your Honda dealer knows more about this bike than some anonymus dip**** on the interwebs.
Wallachian Spikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 04:49 AM   #1517
Towjam
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallachian Spikes View Post
I don't think the DCT version will be available in the U.S....
It will be.

"I had to lay her down." - from the Latin phrase meaning "I fell over."
Towjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 04:59 AM   #1518
Wallachian Spikes
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towjam View Post
It will be.
I'm glad to hear that, even though I'm not interested in it. More choices can only be a good thing.
Wallachian Spikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:31 AM   #1519
HarveyM
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Dct

It's on the Honda website with pricing, so Honda USA thinks it's coming sometime.
http://powersports.honda.com/2012/nc700x/options.aspx

I'm not surprised some riders dislike it- Seems to me it's basically a Honda Jazz in motorcycle form; Cheap, basic, and functional. Let's hope it's as reliable. Personally, as a Vespa rider, I like it, and want a test ride.
HarveyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:46 AM   #1520
MKorn
2whl Addict

Oddometer: 689
Damn .... ya'll will argue about anything!
02 Nighthawk 750 (sold)
06 DRz 400s
MKorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:42 AM   #1521
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by limeymike View Post
A dullville with new plastic, still dull, parts bin design. The adventure motorcycle market is one of the fastest growing segments so Honda wants some of it. Unfortunately they are giving us a few new plastic pieces aimed to look like other adventure bikes, it is very disappointing. Over the past 10 years or so Honda more than any other japanese manufacturer has missed the boat with bike design for the US market. If you want to pose down the boulevard on a friday night on your pretend ADV plastic elephant then this is the motorcycle for you.
It is to adventure riding what the Mustang II 4 cylinder was to muscle cars. Honda should bow their corporate heads in shame, this is the best you can do?

While I agree with the basic sentiment of Honda going kinda loopy these past few years I would say that the judgement on the NC700X is a little bit off.

It would appear that even amongst the three models, they have a fair number of different non-sharing parts, and being that they are all a new, unique, clean sheet design with, as far as I can tell, no parts interchangeable between any other Honda ever made, (let alone a Deauville), I believe "parts bin" is really not appropriate.
L.B.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:19 AM   #1522
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprale View Post
About the only new Honda that excites me today is the Dullville. I finally had a chance to fondle one at a local stealership and it was surprisingly comfortable, actually a nearly perfect fit for me. I'd have one of those as an urban commuter easily, maybe even as my next bike, keeping the Strom for the long stretches of gravel that coax me out of the city.
Not new, been available over there for years... and they've ceased bringing them to the USA.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:12 PM   #1523
Worroll
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 721
So should we start a pool weather there will be a 2013 N700X?

I say no. They'll sell a few. And that's it. These are motorcycles, not Honda Civics, they don't sell numbers based on practicality, unless there is some real fun backing it up. There are plenty of practical bikes that may have less MPG, but have a lot more fun.
2011 Sprint GT, 2000 Moto Guzzi Jackal, 1981 Honda CB750F, 1957 BSA Bantam D3 restoration project, Past bikes -2008 Kawasaki KLR650, 1986 Honda Shadow VT1100C, 1998 Honda Shadow Aero VT1100C3, 2006 Yamaha FZ6, 2006 Kawasaki ZX-14,1980 Yamaha XT500
Worroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:53 PM   #1524
HarveyM
n00b

Oddometer: 4
I think it’ll sell in Europe. In the US & Canada? I’m thinking it might last a couple years, like the GL500-650 Silverwings, Pacific Coast, or GB500. Maybe, just maybe there’s a little niche for commuters, even here.
HarveyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 01:36 PM   #1525
JamesG
Rabid Poster

Oddometer: 10,946
Suzuki didn't think the SV-650 would sell very well in N. America.
JamesG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 01:48 PM   #1526
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 15,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveyM View Post
I think it’ll sell in Europe. In the US & Canada? I’m thinking it might last a couple years, like the GL500-650 Silverwings, Pacific Coast, or GB500. Maybe, just maybe there’s a little niche for commuters, even here.
In continental Europe, regular folks use scooters all the time. For those that want to upgrade to a bike with similar mpg and longer range, plus the cost-conscious commuters, it will sell imho.

The big issue here is the price of gas; a recent survey said the average family is now spending more on gas than on food.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:25 PM   #1527
JamesG
Rabid Poster

Oddometer: 10,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKorn View Post
Damn .... ya'll will argue about anything!

No we don't!
JamesG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:31 PM   #1528
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,034
I wonder how difficult it would be to turbocharge one of these things...

I dearly, dearly, loved my CX500Turbo!
L.B.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:34 PM   #1529
Wuwei
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,108
I like "parts bin specials." A lot more than unique, one-offs, that last a year or two and then you can never find parts for the thing ever again. Actually, I think more bikes could be created this way at lower cost. I like what Kawasaki has done with the 650 motor in the Ninja and the Versys. Two different bikes for different customers, but the same basic mechanicals. I'd love to see some of the single-cylider dirt bike and dual sport engines used for creating interesting street bikes, like a Kawasaki or Honda or Suzuki 650 single.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:43 PM   #1530
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_rev View Post
In continental Europe, regular folks use scooters all the time. For those that want to upgrade to a bike with similar mpg and longer range, plus the cost-conscious commuters, it will sell imho.

The big issue here is the price of gas; a recent survey said the average family is now spending more on gas than on food.
+1,

Biggest growing segment is scooters where I live. People are looking at ways of saving money after paying way too much for houses and getting themselves way too far in debt.

Scooters offer some form of protection for the "office gear". These bikes also offer some storage for the "over gear" that doesn't have to be dealt with at work as well.

Been there done that. A "recreational vehicle" just doesn't really cut it as an all rounder and a 125 scooter doesn't either.

You can get a 250 to make this kind of power, true, but it is a really draining experience if you have to sit on a high revving gear shifting high strung 250 for hours a day.

In a previous life, having to commute on freeways, urban gridlock, up hills and having to deal with speeds ranging from stop start for 45 minutes to 130Km/h on the freeways for a total of 1-2 hours each day this looks ideal for most peoples needs.

On the weekends out west, I could shell out another 15K on a "fun" bike but then that's another 15K top shell out. Then I could get a bigger car and a trailer so I could tow the "fun" bike out to the good roads to avoid the long boring bits that's not so much fun on the fun bike. I have seen it. It happens.

I could also depreciate the crap out of my fun bike by using it in not so fun traffic and spend big on tires that re being chewed up.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote