MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:10 AM   #887
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post
so not this Monday, but next Monday is the big day.
Poor bike...
Good luck and may the truth win! Its funny how GOV works. If you were to have an accident and hit a town pole, park bench, town vehicle, or other town/gov property, they ALWAYS come up with a ridiculous amount of money for the repair. They figure in the salary of officers that had to respond to the scene, all the employees of the crew that did the repairs, retail for the replacement property but when it comes to PAYING for the actions of THEIR employees, nothing anyone else owns is worth anything, it might as well be a 40 year old pinto with 4 flats. bastards.

and I just looked at this again. Do you have any friends that would walk in front of the court house with these images on some signs? THAT would make the news.
Make up a sign..."Whats next? Your baby in a stroller??" That would make some waves...
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:36 AM   #888
ABritOnMaui
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100mpg View Post
it might as well be a 40 year old pinto with 4 flats. bastards.
Which they then fine you for, plus the spare being flat :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crampfan View Post
We have the same trouble here. What I don't understand is If it's called tourist season, why can't I shoot them
ABritOnMaui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:07 AM   #889
shelion
Goddess of Fire

Oddometer: 359
Holy carp! Having just read through the last 30 pages of this thread (read the first 30 last year!), I am amazed.

As to the city appealing, all I can say is this: the county in which I live in Maryland is also self-insured. My husband is a county employee and has had a few dealings with county risk management as a result of workplace injuries. In one of his last go rounds with those asshats, he found out that the risk management office budget works like this: they are given a pot of money for settling claims. Any money left in the pot at the end of the fiscal year, the employees split as a bonus. So they do their absolute best to pay out as little as possible so they get fatter bonuses. It's a highly f*ed up incentive system.

I hope your next day in court will be the end of this saga and that you receive a hefty check.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:36 PM   #890
eatpasta OP
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 9,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelion View Post
In one of his last go rounds with those asshats, he found out that the risk management office budget works like this: they are given a pot of money for settling claims. Any money left in the pot at the end of the fiscal year, the employees split as a bonus. So they do their absolute best to pay out as little as possible so they get fatter bonuses. It's a highly f*ed up incentive system. .
WHAT?!?!?!?!?

are you freakin kidding me!?
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
Old 05-08-2012, 02:41 PM   #891
TxLoneRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Quote:
Holy carp! Having just read through the last 30 pages of this thread (read the first 30 last year!), I am amazed.

As to the city appealing, all I can say is this: the county in which I live in Maryland is also self-insured. My husband is a county employee and has had a few dealings with county risk management as a result of workplace injuries. In one of his last go rounds with those asshats, he found out that the risk management office budget works like this: they are given a pot of money for settling claims. Any money left in the pot at the end of the fiscal year, the employees split as a bonus. So they do their absolute best to pay out as little as possible so they get fatter bonuses. It's a highly f*ed up incentive system.

I hope your next day in court will be the end of this saga and that you receive a hefty check.
I see nothing wrong with this, on ONE condition. All funds are held until all litigation from the year has been resolved.

So if the department are complete ass hats, and a case takes 10 years to resolve, all funds for the year of the incident are held in a trust for 10 years.

I guess.

After all, in my experience, doing the right thing does not seem to be good enough for many. People seem to be a lot more coin operated these days.

And since I am taking up bandwidth anyway, I'll add in my best wishes for a better resolution than you have almost had in your grasp.
TxLoneRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:00 AM   #892
howell_jd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Submit a Freedom of Information Act Request

It may be worthwhile to submit a FOIA (Freedom of Information Act) request to obtain historic (if not comparable) claims/settlements/litigations for the city involving privately owned vehicles - obviously motorcycles being most comparable...and especially poignant if those claims involve the opposite of your situation to demonstrate "gouging" of citizens (as 100mpg notes).

Good luck of course - and best wishes for a positive outcome in your favor!

Jonathan

1972 KMZ "Dnepr" MB650, 2003 BMW F650CS, 2011 Yamaha Vino Classic
howell_jd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:38 AM   #893
wmax351
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by howell_jd View Post
It may be worthwhile to submit a FOIA (Freedom of Information Act) request to obtain historic (if not comparable) claims/settlements/litigations for the city involving privately owned vehicles - obviously motorcycles being most comparable...and especially poignant if those claims involve the opposite of your situation to demonstrate "gouging" of citizens (as 100mpg notes).

Good luck of course - and best wishes for a positive outcome in your favor!

Jonathan

Good point! He has more access here as well: A Subpoena is very helpful to squeeze records that otherwise would be hard to get.

California also has some sunshine laws, which make this further easier.
wmax351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:09 PM   #894
DCrider
Live from THE Hill

Oddometer: 3,970
yes FOIA their ass, it may not lead to much but will annoy them for a week or so.

Maybe time to get that John Stossel guy involved, do a story on "The Fleecing of the Pasta" or "Mowed Justice"...serious good luck...again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmax351 View Post
Good point! He has more access here as well: A Subpoena is very helpful to squeeze records that otherwise would be hard to get.

California also has some sunshine laws, which make this further easier.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:36 PM   #895
eatpasta OP
Lawnmower Target

This is wholly in the hands of my lawyers at this point. We should - however - have a dialog in the future about an ADV think tank for just about anything.....tons of ideas flow out of this site!

and speaking of lawyers, Steve (the guy thats been helping me all this time) and his partner and I are going to have a meeting of sorts tomorrow to run down what's happening on Monday. Im not sure what their plan of attack is but many of bases have already been covered.
From what I have read there is tons of space for nitpicking such as what was stated above about finding out what they have charged private parties, the whole harassment aspect of the appeal etc etc so Im not sure if they plan on taking advantage of any of those things or not.

anyways....it sure seems close now.

Im going to wear my pinstripe suit.

Quote:
Old 05-09-2012, 10:02 PM   #896
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post
Im going to wear my pinstripe suit.

Vertical or horizontal stripes?

NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:12 PM   #897
truk84
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
good luck mate!
Old 05-10-2012, 09:46 AM   #898
eatpasta OP
Lawnmower Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
Vertical or horizontal stripes?

BA DA BOOM.....

todays the meeting with the lawyers.... should be interesting
Quote:
Old 05-10-2012, 09:47 AM   #899
eatpasta OP
Lawnmower Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by truk84 View Post
good luck mate!
Thanks!

Quote:
Old 05-13-2012, 04:16 PM   #900
shelion
Goddess of Fire

Oddometer: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLoneRider View Post
Quote:

I see nothing wrong with this, on ONE condition. All funds are held until all litigation from the year has been resolved.

So if the department are complete ass hats, and a case takes 10 years to resolve, all funds for the year of the incident are held in a trust for 10 years.

I guess.

After all, in my experience, doing the right thing does not seem to be good enough for many. People seem to be a lot more coin operated these days.

And since I am taking up bandwidth anyway, I'll add in my best wishes for a better resolution than you have almost had in your grasp.
So how is that not making the employees coin operated as well, as they now have a money motivator?

I think there are far more people like EatPasta, that are just seeking reasonable costs recovered, than people that just see dollar signs.

shelion screwed with this post 05-16-2012 at 11:40 AM
shelion is offline   Reply With Quote