User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2012, 11:04 AM   #1
bobfab OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,227
1981 KE100 - Rolling the Dice

Hey guys, so i copied this thread from my personal message board and apologize if the context is vague or not to the level of detail expected on this site!

So this week i saw an ad on CL for a 1981 Kawasaki KE100. It was 300$ OBO and quite far away. But on a whim i emailed the guy and told him if he delivered i would pay $300. the photos werent great and the guy sounded relatively knowledgeable. But hell if he was willing to take the time to deliver it i figured i could roll the dice. Well roll the dice i did and its looking like 11 to the RIGHT!

When delivered the guy said it started but wouldnt run. We fired it and he was indeed correct it stalls almost immediately. However i noticed that there was no gas in the fuel line. The guy said he never even filled it up, sure enough it looked low but there should have been flow in the line. My thought: That the float valve was stuck causing an air backup in the fuel line. So rather than trying to rise the price with the guy there. I kept quiet and thanked him for the bike.

Tonight for the first time i got to dig into it. After removing the engine cover (the carb is inside the engine case!) and tapping on the carb bowl, i was able to get fuel flow through the line. Just a little gummed up. I put the choke on gave it a couple kicks and BAM lift off!

It is far too loud to be playing with at this hour with all the nieghbors, but next daytime oppurtunity we are looking good!

The rear tire is also thrashed. New DOT approved dualsport tire and tube $30. God these things are cheap.

The suspension looks to have the stiffness and travel of a pogo stickbut it seems to be complete, stock and in good condition. The bike weighs all of 150# and is on a good day 8 horsepower. From the factory this was a street legal bike, but it appears all the running gear is removed. Maybe someday, but for now this is the chick/learners bike and it will be super fun with enough camping and liquid courage. Hopefully test outing in 2 weekends.

My question for the inmates (That i think came up in another thread last week), should there be some sort of baffle or spark arrestor in the muffler of this KE100. Right now it is a full diameter opening at the end of the tailpipe and its awful loud! Suggestions?

bobfab screwed with this post 05-01-2012 at 09:53 PM
bobfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:06 AM   #2
bobfab OP
Beastly Adventurer

I am also looking for suggestions or mcgyver tips for trying to get the plastic to shine back to red. With a little armor all it comes back to red until it dries.

Repro plastics?
Old 05-01-2012, 08:31 PM   #3
anonny
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,391
The only way I have seen old plastic shine is by heating with a heat gun, it's a dangerous method as too much heat and it looks like crap, just enough and it looks brand new. Do you feel lucky punk? Well do ya?

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:58 PM   #4
bobfab OP
Beastly Adventurer

So i monkied with it a little tonight with little sucess. The bike would occasionally start and run for about 30 seconds then stall. I cleaned the carb last night and it defintely ran best first kick today almost holding an idle off choke. But since then it has been erratic and occasionally starts. I have three hypothesizes:

1. Water in the gas - i have no idea where the bike had been stored and how old the gas is. I did add some but not much.

2. Float height - There should not be any air major air in the fuel lines prior to the carb right? We get good flow once i disconnect the fuel line to the carb and open the petcock. The carb overflow lines are also clean and flow freely. Frankly im a little stumped.

3. Oil Pump - I have read on various internet sources that it is easy for the throttle cable for the oil pump to get a little bound up and pump too much oil. It was tough to tell from the short time it was running if it was "too" smokey. I kinda doubt it though,.

Any suggestions are appreciated, these things are so simple yet complicated at the same time
Old 05-02-2012, 12:26 AM   #5
Hunsta
Have guns will hunt

Oddometer: 5,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfab View Post
So i monkied with it a little tonight with little sucess. The bike would occasionally start and run for about 30 seconds then stall. I cleaned the carb last night and it defintely ran best first kick today almost holding an idle off choke. But since then it has been erratic and occasionally starts. I have three hypothesizes:

1. Water in the gas - i have no idea where the bike had been stored and how old the gas is. I did add some but not much.

Dump the fuel out of it for a start. If your unsure how old it is, best to start with fresh fuel. Id also put a new plug in it and either put a carby kit through it or fully disassemble the carb and give it a good clean. And put a new piece of fuel line in.
From there if it still plays up then you can go onto the next area.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:19 AM   #6
bobfab OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunsta View Post
Dump the fuel out of it for a start. If your unsure how old it is, best to start with fresh fuel. Id also put a new plug in it and either put a carby kit through it or fully disassemble the carb and give it a good clean. And put a new piece of fuel line in.
From there if it still plays up then you can go onto the next area.
Yeah, the more i have been thinking about it, i am going to drain and add fresh fuel. I had a CRF230 once that would start everytime but die for an undefined reason, clean carb etc... Turned out that it was just some water in the tank.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:14 AM   #7
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,290
You can sand lightly and polish plastic just like metal with 220+ a few higher grit papers and then use plastic polish. I do this on all used bikes I get that have plastic and it can make the plastic look new.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:44 AM   #8
thelen60
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Honda makes a plastic polish that is fairly effective. I used it on my 300EX some years ago and it took a lot of the scratches out. The quad was only a few years though, so I was not dealing with faded plastic. Your local dealer should have it, unless they stopped making it. No guarantees, just a suggestion. I'm sure that you could use a buffing compound as well. Personally, I would probably just leave it. It's a 30 year old dirt bike and it looks pretty damn good.

2cents...

Edit: I actually was going to pick one of these up awhile ago. It was in rough shape for less than $100, but it was sold before I had the chance. I'm looking for a 2 stroke (100-200cc) to fix up for pennies. I've seen a handful of the TS185 for under $100 on CL. Hoping to grab two of them and combine them into (hopefully) one functioning bike. It's been way too long since I had anything fun to play with off road.
thelen60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:53 AM   #9
gloud
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
The stinger/muffler part you are missing is actually two parts you will have to look inside the muffler and see which you are missing. I only remember the end piece which if I remember is a necked down tube with and end cap with an opening about half open.
http://www.cmsnl.com/kawasaki-1981-k...8.html#results for a pic.
gloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:58 AM   #10
bobfab OP
Beastly Adventurer

I will have to look again, but based off the diagram you posted it isnt looking good for either peices last i looked

Got a new tire for the beast yesterday, hopefully the tube arrives today so i can spoon it on. Out of town this weekend but next i am trying to bring it camping for a shakedown! Helps if its running and rolling first though
Old 05-03-2012, 06:10 PM   #11
hoffa509
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Use this: Mother's back to black

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...content=value4

I used it on the oxidized plastics for my KLR and it worked great? Works on all colors.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:15 PM   #12
Neil E.
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 266
It is common to have some air in the fuel line. Depends on the curvature of the line. On a horizontal run, an air bubble can stay trapped, but it should be a bubble not a completely empty line. If you pull the fuel line off the carb and open the petcock, you should get a solid stream of fuel. When it's connected only a tiny dribble actually goes into the carb once the float bowl is full.
Once you have good fuel and good flow to the bowl, if it keeps stalling you need to clean out the pilot jet. On modern carbs it sits vertically in a hole that is offset about 3/8" from the main jet and you need a small screwdriver to get it out. The main jet is hex shaped and is centered in the carb body. Your carb might be a bit different, see if you can find a parts diagram.
The engine won't run right if all the baffle parts are missing.
Neil E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:34 PM   #13
Shocktower
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil E. View Post
It is common to have some air in the fuel line. Depends on the curvature of the line. On a horizontal run, an air bubble can stay trapped, but it should be a bubble not a completely empty line. If you pull the fuel line off the carb and open the petcock, you should get a solid stream of fuel. When it's connected only a tiny dribble actually goes into the carb once the float bowl is full.
Once you have good fuel and good flow to the bowl, if it keeps stalling you need to clean out the pilot jet. On modern carbs it sits vertically in a hole that is offset about 3/8" from the main jet and you need a small screwdriver to get it out. The main jet is hex shaped and is centered in the carb body. Your carb might be a bit different, see if you can find a parts diagram.
The engine won't run right if all the baffle parts are missing.

Neil is correct Pilot jet is one of the main problem on 99% of bikes running only with the choke on for a diagram on the Carb go to www.sudco.com they have every carb diagram and most specks . BTW you got a good deal on that bike

'08 KTM 530 EXC
79 RD 400 Daytona
Shocktower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:52 AM   #14
bobfab OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks for the advice guys. My first inclination was a clogged pilot jet, however i have cleaned it pretty thoroughly twice. I realize that sometimes they just cannot be cleaned, but i think i got this one...

I have been out of town the past couple days and havent had a chance to monkey with it. Hopefully some time allows tonight for fresh gas!

Got the new tire and tube for the rear too!