User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2012, 08:45 PM   #1
Nanuq OP
Aventurer by Trade

Oddometer: 1,061
Harley xr1200x modified

Has anybody modified a Harley xr1200x for long distance riding? If so how did you modify it for the long hall?
2008 KLR 685- Iron Butt Association #44803
Trippin' in the Yukon & the AK!

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth" - Steve McQueen
Nanuq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:08 AM   #2
Nadgett
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 545
I installed the tall Harley windshield and a Corbin seat on my XR1200. Here's an article that takes it a bit further:

http://www.hotbikeweb.com/tech/1001_...rer/index.html
Nadgett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:00 AM   #3
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,231
I'll most likely go with a 1-pc saddle like this Corbin once I've got a bit more coin saved up.

Other than that, the usual assortment of soft luggage. I've had a bunch of naked bikes so a windscreen isn't a must-have just yet but it may make the wish-list.

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:48 PM   #4
MitchG
Iron Collector

Oddometer: 429
Just started with a 2010 XR1200, Will probably take the better part of the summer to complete. Was wanting to do this for awile but the iminent release of the TKC 80 in the 180/55/17 size made it a go now. The Corbin G&L is the only logical choice at this time unless you go custom....Still pondering this one. Lets keep this thread alive for XR & XRX lovers. Will post on this thread as progress happens.

MitchG screwed with this post 05-03-2012 at 12:54 PM
MitchG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 04:14 AM   #5
rudolf35
Warped & Twisted Mind

Oddometer: 790
Thumb XR1200 on road trip

I have a 09 1200 and had it to the Canadian border coming from TX. The XR did extremely well and is a good long distance bike once the Ergos are sorted.

On mine I added:

Corbin seat raised 2"
Night Design 2" lowered pegs (not lower than the stock feeler nub on the stock pegs)
Spitfire wind screen
Polly Heaters heated grips
Powerlet power outlet
Avon grips
Assortment of soft luggage
Ventura rack system

In Duluth, MN

rudolf35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:53 AM   #6
n8dawg6
krunkin'

Oddometer: 212
kind of curious about this myself. The two things that force me to get off mine are (1) handlebar buzz eventually putting my hands to sleep, and (2) legs folded up underneath me going to sleep. the buzz is worse at 80 mph than 60, so maybe i just need to slow down. the taller seat won't work for me either b/c i'm already tiptoeing it. but maybe the lower pegs would help some.

thing is, i love the stock setup for short range hooligan riding.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:06 PM   #7
Nadgett
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 545
I've had the Corbin G & L on mine for a while now. My wife and daughter say it's more comfortable than the stock seat, but still not great for long rides. I find with the Corbin seat I can move around more than with the stock seat, so can stay a bit more comfortable on longer rides. I also find that I'm sitting about an inch farther back, so I had to adjust the handlebars a bit.

Nadgett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 01:52 PM   #8
rudolf35
Warped & Twisted Mind

Cool2 Did not mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8dawg6 View Post
kind of curious about this myself. The two things that force me to get off mine are (1) handlebar buzz eventually putting my hands to sleep, and (2) legs folded up underneath me going to sleep. the buzz is worse at 80 mph than 60, so maybe i just need to slow down. the taller seat won't work for me either b/c i'm already tiptoeing it. but maybe the lower pegs would help some.

thing is, i love the stock setup for short range hooligan riding.
The one other addon I did not mention, was the adding a four tooth size increase on the front primary pulley. Gives a tiny bit less off line but calms the motor down at 70+. It is almost like a 6th gear; best mod I did to the XR.

EDITED - I had typed two tooth primary increase, should have been a 4 tooth increase!

rudolf35 screwed with this post 05-09-2012 at 08:43 AM Reason: Typo
Old 05-04-2012, 03:08 PM   #9
MitchG
Iron Collector

rudolf35...You said " Corbin seat raised 2"". Do you mean the Corbin seat raised the seat hight 2" or you had an extra 2" added to the seat at the factory? Looks like I'll be going with the Corbin G&L as well. Would you sugest any custom padding modifications to be made at the factory(more driver/passenger padding or a chnge in foam density, etc)? Agreed, the "Scotty Mod" primary gearing change is appreciated by most people on the highway.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:15 PM   #10
rudolf35
Warped & Twisted Mind

Wicked Corbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchG View Post
rudolf35...You said " Corbin seat raised 2"". Do you mean the Corbin seat raised the seat hight 2" or you had an extra 2" added to the seat at the factory? Looks like I'll be going with the Corbin G&L as well. Would you sugest any custom padding modifications to be made at the factory(more driver/passenger padding or a chnge in foam density, etc)? Agreed, the "Scotty Mod" primary gearing change is appreciated by most people on the highway.
I only got the riders seat mine is a solo bike. The Corbin factory raised the seat (added 2" of padding). I see you are part of the XR owners board, Scotty mod, you can see that the mod is he way to go on the XR the way I use it; the way you plan to use it.

Also, Pilot Road 2 or 3's are the tire for this bike. Stick well in rain and dry and they last. I got 13.5k out of my rear!

Old 05-04-2012, 08:39 PM   #11
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,231
I'm going back and forth between getting the PR2's or 3's, or the Metzler Roadtec Z6's. Got 4100 out of the stock Dunlops but that's right down to the cord at that point; good edge-to-edge wear but I'm on superslab every day commuting, squaring off tires unfortunately.

I think engine guards are next, then seat. I'm 5'4" (yard gnome proportions) so I'm already mostly up against the tank; I slide back a bit to change positions or to get a bit more forward lean. Still, I think a seat upgrade is going to be a must at some point. Maybe one of Barb's seat pads as an interim solution.

Not sure about the Scotty Mod just yet. Maybe later, when I'm doing more multi-day trips on superslab. Right now I'm commuting with the occasional weekender to the mountains--about 4 hours from me each way, so no problem with the current setup.

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:20 PM   #12
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photog View Post
I'm going back and forth between getting the PR2's or 3's, or the Metzler Roadtec Z6's. Got 4100 out of the stock Dunlops but that's right down to the cord at that point; good edge-to-edge wear but I'm on superslab every day commuting, squaring off tires unfortunately.

I.

Road II they are a little more durable, the Z6s and Angels last better than a sport tire, but they still square with too much slab abuse. I put something like 12,000 miles of slab on a set of Road IIs, and that was New Mexico summer heated roads that killed Pilot Powers in 4200 miles.

Disclaimer* I don't know what kind of tires the XR likes, but the Road II seem to last a bit longer than the Road IIIs as far as I've seen.
Tripped1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:56 PM   #13
MitchG
Iron Collector

Rudolf35...With all the baggage loaded on your bike I just assumed you had the Corbin G&L not the solo seat. Now I understand the extra 2" you added(I would have done the same and run the solo seat but will be taking my teenage kids with me on some trips so must go two up. Am also considering the Night Design lowered pegs, where they a direct bolt on? Love the heated grips on my Beemer and would love to use them but with 1" bars I'll take a look at the Pollys.

Thanks for the tire recommendations guys.....Rudolf35, 13.5K out of a rear! I think you set a new record! Bravo! As I use this bike both on & off road, I'm mounting tires on two sets of wheels(complete with brake discs) so I can switch back and forth with minimum fuss. Currently working on quick change, no tools needed axles.
Old 05-05-2012, 05:08 AM   #14
rudolf35
Warped & Twisted Mind

Wicked Polly and Scotty Mod

The Polly Heaters are the way to go. I have them on the XR,V-Rod and had them on my Ulysses. Bit of a pain installing but the first time you use them they bring a smile to your face.

I use my bike local and for trips and the Scotty Mod let's me run around town in 3rd without over reving or lugging.

Take a serious look at the Ventura rack system! It flat out works. Their bags are bit pricy thus the use of aftermarket bags.

This is what the XR can do on trips:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=727865

Old 05-08-2012, 06:52 PM   #15
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,136
Rudolf, the Scotty mod is a 34 tooth to a 38 tooth conversion. Did you really do just a two tooth? Didn't know that was an option. If so, that might be the ticket for me. I did the 4 tooth Scotty mod and took it off after a thousand miles. Just not my thing. Took too much hooligan out of my hooligan bike. Gave me a 4 speed sporty with an overdrive. Now, if I can find 95+ hp, it may go back on. ;)

I routinely ride 400+ mile day rides (4400 niles in 4 months of ownership. Usually ride it one day a week.) Stock bars are comfortable but I'm gonna go lower and less pullback.
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote