ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2012, 02:08 PM   #1
crackhead OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,250
Any upland bird hunters around?

I know it's a bit early, but I'm trying to get things squared away for the upcoming season. If there are any upland hunters in here and you guys gan cet me pointed in the right direction to walk fields and tell lies this year, Id appreciate it. PM me.
crackhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 04:39 PM   #2
mlyamkaw
Drill Baby Drill

Oddometer: 535
I am getting into it again after 10 years away from it. Got a new dog to train for the fall at the moment. In Wenatchee, so I don't think I can help, but interested to know myself.
14 KTM 500 EXC
mlyamkaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:03 PM   #3
Watercat
. . . gravity sucks

Oddometer: 1,531
See link for Western WA pheasant release program, Eastern WA pheasant enhancement program . . . . . .

http://fortress.wa.gov/dfw/gispublic...SP/startup.jsp

Otherwise there's gotta be a lot of local knowledge of real upland bird paradise over there in Eastern WA . . . . .

Key is obtaining permission to hunt from farmers who don't lease out to gun clubs.

Hungarian partridge abound in some areas if your willing to walk (climb) a lot in rugged canyons . . . . . .

Local info like where the birds reside is often very well kept (guarded by locals) within their local hunting communities.

Very long drive to Eastern WA for you tho.

Good luck.

" . . . discovery channel has been shit for over a decade . . . this (ADVrider) is actually good." - OldAndBusted

Expect the unexpected! - Skunked & DfunkD

2006 Husky TE 610
2005 Big Strom
2010 THRUXTON

Watercat screwed with this post 05-04-2012 at 07:09 PM
Watercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 12:26 AM   #4
Tirespin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
I usually drive to the east slopes of the cascades, basically to the Columbia river, for chukar and quail. There's any number of good areas out there. Here on the west side, there's reputed to be good grouse hunting.

For springtime exercise it's a real pain to find large areas to range. Most trails in even in the national forest require dogs to be on leash (due to leading to wilderness areas?!?), so you take you chances there. I like to use the pheasant release sites during the off season to get chance exposure to birds plus a lot of wide open running, but they're mostly closed to dogs now due to nesting season, which at least is a good reason for closure so I respect that rule.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:35 AM   #5
hayshaker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 386
For the best bird hunting go to the Dakotas or similar. I am amazed at the birds there every year and I live in the Columbia Basin. Chuckar is still my favorite but man those things are tough to get. Thats why I started training retrievers so I didn't have to chase downed birds downhill when hunting the Snake River.

MLYAMKAW....didn't know you hunted? Shoot trap at all?

Riding @ Vantage today btw...

TONY

George, WA
hayshaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 02:39 PM   #6
mlyamkaw
Drill Baby Drill

Yeah Tony, I haven't hunted since I sold the dealership 13 years ago. Got a new Griffon WP and plan to start again in the fall. Used to do trap shooting, and will at least do it enough to get the rust off. We have a place right next to our work, but I have never been there...Will have to holler at you when season is on, but I suspect I will see you riding before then.
Would have come down for a ride today had I known. Went out to Coulee City for a Hunt Test for Pointers at Pitts Game Farm. Not much to see, but I thought I could pick up some tips.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayshaker View Post
MLYAMKAW....didn't know you hunted? Shoot trap at all?

Riding @ Vantage today btw...

TONY
14 KTM 500 EXC
Old 05-05-2012, 07:19 PM   #7
hayshaker
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlyamkaw View Post
Yeah Tony, I haven't hunted since I sold the dealership 13 years ago. Got a new Griffon WP and plan to start again in the fall. Used to do trap shooting, and will at least do it enough to get the rust off. We have a place right next to our work, but I have never been there...Will have to holler at you when season is on, but I suspect I will see you riding before then.
Would have come down for a ride today had I known. Went out to Coulee City for a Hunt Test for Pointers at Pitts Game Farm. Not much to see, but I thought I could pick up some tips.
No notice about todays ride....bad on me! Lots of people out there and we did about 60 miles.

Griffon is a cool dog, I'd love to see it sometime and point you to some my old hot spots in the area. My last dog was a Visla. She was not a bad dog but was a bit to dainty for Chukars. My pasture is perfect for early gun dog training. The 200' width and electric fence teaches limits. Hand signals and whistle are the way to go. Are you doing the training or sending it out?

Wa. State Sub-Junior Trap Shooting Champ

George, WA
Old 05-06-2012, 12:51 AM   #8
IpponDuro
Now with Camel Toe

Oddometer: 1,005
Hey Crackhead

If you wanna hunt for the Forest Grouse talk to Tom Edison he knows where the Dumb ones live.

My dog Beamer will run into the woods and get um.

But Beamer would much rather swim for his birds.

A Western Washington Pheasent liscence is like 90 bucks, so buying one of those is up there with a Discover pass in my book. So I'm not much help in that department. But if you wanna shot at the birds that land in the water hit me up I'll point ya in the right direction or haul ya out to the blind and call a bunch into ya once or twice.

Just don't forget the Boat Driver keeps the Banded ones

IpponDuro screwed with this post 05-06-2012 at 12:57 AM
IpponDuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:50 AM   #9
crackhead OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,250
Hey Travis, thanks for the offer. I used to waterfowl quite a bit in Colorado, but getting up at 0330 on my days off to stand in ass deep frozen water just lost its allure to me. If you have a line on some decent fields or creeks, I'd most definitely like to take you up on it one or twice this upcoming season.

Growing up back east, everybody's grandmother or cousin or sister or someone had a field (or multiple) that you could hunt your limit of quail on everytime you went out. I never realized until I moved away, how valuable that shit is.
crackhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:33 PM   #10
mlyamkaw
Drill Baby Drill

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayshaker View Post
Wa. State Sub-Junior Trap Shooting Champ
No I don't shoot trap!

Will send you a PM
14 KTM 500 EXC
Old 05-08-2012, 07:39 AM   #11
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,760
Me too, which is why I have several lazy German Shorthaired Pointers lounging around the house until October.....

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:17 PM   #12
Gobius
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlyamkaw View Post
Got a new Griffon WP and plan to start again in the fall.
Hey mlyamkaw, I will be in the market for a WPG sometime in the next few years, as my current griff is over 13 years old, so I'd love to get a recommendation on a good breeder! Those things are NOT easy to find.

To the OP - I've been hunting upland for a few years now in WA, with varying success. I used to buy the western WA phez permit, but the crowds just got to be too much. Now I hunt eastern WA almost exclusively - usually in the Othello or Moses Lake area. Yes, it's a lot of driving. And during the winter it's often shitty driving. But you can usually find birds on public land, and you usually aren't tripping over other hunters. If you want to find quail (which are my favorite), you can avoid the phez release sites and much of the crowds.

Problem is this past year I started chasing ducks, and I'm afraid I'm getting a little addicted to them. So my upland hunting days may be a bit more limited over the next couple of years.
Gobius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:15 AM   #13
hayshaker
Gnarly Adventurer

I kicked out a couple of pheasants and chukars out of the Quilomene last weekend. Goofy chukars were just up the hill from us laughing....trying to trick us into chasing them!

The Griffon is definatly a cool dog.

TONY

George, WA
Old 05-09-2012, 10:40 AM   #14
Rainshadow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 370
I know it's a bit of a hijack, but has anybody figured out a good scabard system for carrying a shotgun, a scoped rifle, or a bow on a dual sport? I'm doing a lot of scouting for deer/elk on my DRZ and I'm thinking it would be a good way to get away from camp during the season.

Until I can figure out a way to get my knucklehead German Wirehair to ride pillion I'm thinking my upland hunting will be limited to my truck...

To get this back on track, pretty much all decent pheasant hunting in Oregon is either leased (private land) or overcrowded (public land). The farming has changed so much that areas that used to be epic pheasant and quail hunting spots no longer have any cover. Apparently the Oregon legislature also quietly declared fee hunting an agricultural commodity about 15 years ago so all a rancher has to do to keep their agricultural tax deferral is lease the land for hunting. That lead to an explosion in hobby/sporting ranches owned by folks from the Metro area that have locked out people that have been hunting them for decades. I don't know if it's that way everywhere, but it screwed up Oregon upland hunting for sure.

The knucklehead and I chase chukars almost exclusively these days as there is still good public access and not as many people that are dumb enough to chase them. The old saying that the first time that you hunt chukars is for fun and after that it's for revenge pretty much applies. I've been laughed at more times than I can count by those red legged devils as they blow past me downhill at 50 mph after luring me and the dog 2,000' up a steep scree slope after running birds.
Rainshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:10 AM   #15
243Win
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainshadow View Post
I know it's a bit of a hijack, but has anybody figured out a good scabard system for carrying a shotgun, a scoped rifle, or a bow on a dual sport? I'm doing a lot of scouting for deer/elk on my DRZ and I'm thinking it would be a good way to get away from camp during the season.

I've lashed a large holster to the bars of my DR and I carry a T/C Contender pistol in .410 for grouse of opportunity as I wander the logging roads of the Olympic Peninsula. Rolls them quite well out to 25-30yds.

10 State Trip 2010
2011, $1000 in the pocket, how far can we go
243Win is offline   Reply With Quote