Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2012, 12:29 AM   #106
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by waveydavey View Post
nice to see that your still out there fighting the good fight Steve G!! rock on.
Just trying my best to clarify fact from,,,,,,thinking with one's 'little head'.
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:54 AM   #107
waveydavey
happy times!!

Oddometer: 9,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G. View Post
Just trying my best to clarify fact from,,,,,,thinking with one's 'little head'.
it kind of weirds me out that you are thinking about guys weiners when you talk about motorcycles.....oh well.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:42 AM   #108
Scrivens
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 441
Another old guy with a first Sportster. I've been riding 46 years and have had about 60 bikes, usually have a few in the garage and I do 3-4000km a month on average. I had just sold my 1250S Bandit a few weeks ago (very capable but dull bike) when I saw a mint low mileage '07 883L Sportster for sale locally at a bargain price. As I had the spare cash I bought it more out of curiosity than anything else. I hadn't ridden any HDs since the late 70's and they were not a bike I'd ever given much thought to owning in more recent times. The '07 was a revelation - the rubber mounted engine is remarkably smooth, the engine really likes working in the upper 1/3 of the rev range and still gets 60mpg Imperial doing it, handles well enough in the curves to have worn the tyres almost to the edges without scraping anything, brakes are fine and as the engine breaking is excellent they aren't needed much anyway, power is more than adequate for the roads around here and it just lopes along smoothly at 120kmh on the highway. I put 13.5" rear shocks on it and replaced the forward controls added by the PO with the original mids. Compared to the Bandit the standard dual seat is remarkably comfortable. Only downside in our current cold weather is the wide footpeg position which sends a bit of a gale up the thighs. As my brother said, not a bike for a Scotsman to wear a kilt on. I've put 1200km on it in the past fortnight and have enjoyed every minute of it.
Scrivens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:18 PM   #109
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
it kind of weirds me out that you are thinking about guys weiners when you talk about motorcycles.....oh well.

You're very sensitive lad,,,,,,,,

Or, you've failed again at pressing buttons.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:22 PM   #110
Pistolero
W. F. O.

Oddometer: 710
Quote:

welp... time to unsubscribe this one
Pistolero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:02 AM   #111
Gadget Girl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
When I was returning to riding after too long a gap, I asked my physical therapist which kind of bike is best for my bad back. She advised that something more forward leaning would exercise my back muscles. A more recumbent position would actually send the road shock right to the spine and cause more damage. Hence the kidney belts you see old HD riders wearing so much.

I took her advice and got a standard bike. My next bike was a sport touring one. My back hasn't given me a lick of trouble in over 100k miles since then.

I also mentioned this to my ex and he got a Ninja 650. He soon reported that his back has shown measurable improvement since he began commuting on it.

I've ridden cruiser bikes before and they're fine. I just like riding long distances. I'll go two hours for a gallon of milk. It's a waste of a ride to run to the corner store. ;)

I hope someone finds this tidbit useful.

There are those who own motorcycles and they can sell a bike and never think about it again. Then there are riders! You get it or you don't.
Gadget Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:04 AM   #112
scrannel
Scrannel

Oddometer: 1,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Girl View Post

I took her advice and got a standard bike. My next bike was a sport touring one. My back hasn't given me a lick of trouble in over 100k miles since then.
Exactly right. Don't know why this isn't obvious. I have a very messed up back and the lean-forward position is riding paradise. Hammering straight up through your spine is NFG.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:12 AM   #113
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipr View Post
I’ve owned Harleys since the 60’s, (as well as Japanese, German, Italian, British, Russian, and Indian machines) my first new Harley was a 1976 FLH. My Harleys have been pre-AMF, AMF, post AMF, and Buell, the Slim is the best one yet.

I hope you like straight roads. Congrats on the scoot.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:53 AM   #114
Robert OK
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrannel View Post
Exactly right. Don't know why this isn't obvious. I have a very messed up back and the lean-forward position is riding paradise. Hammering straight up through your spine is NFG.
Agreed. I love my Road King, but don't care for it as a touring bike. Am not a Starbucks fan, but trips for frozen yogurt, the tennis court or quick jaunts around the countryside are about all my back can handle.

Maybe not the best use for a "touring" bike, but it seems to work out OK for the park police here in DC. They look like they don't put more than a couple of miles a day on theirs.
Robert OK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:37 PM   #115
waveydavey
happy times!!

Oddometer: 9,285
I have a Harley Softail Crossbones. I have left the standard sprung 'tractor" seat on the bike and with the floorboards I find myself sitting upright.... like at an office chair I suppose, with lots of room to move around. I have ridden several 1200km days and find that I usually don't even get off the bike when refueling for the first couple of stops (+/- 200 kms) I put 45,000 kms on that bike the first 14 months that i had it. I never get a sore back. ..... I do use a windshield to keep the wind off my shoulders, neck and arms for those longer trips. I think that the harley touring bikes are probably all pretty comfy for the long haul, if you resist the temptation to have forward pegs and a low, low seat. My Crossbones is the comfiest touring bike I have ever had. (2 X Honda Gl1100, 1X Kawasaki Concours, 1 X BMW GS 1200, 1X BMW GS 1150, 1 X Suzuki 1200 Bandit sporttourer owned previous)

waveydavey screwed with this post 05-07-2012 at 01:58 PM
waveydavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:52 PM   #116
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Girl View Post
When I was returning to riding after too long a gap, I asked my physical therapist which kind of bike is best for my bad back. She advised that something more forward leaning would exercise my back muscles. A more recumbent position would actually send the road shock right to the spine and cause more damage. Hence the kidney belts you see old HD riders wearing so much.

I also mentioned this to my ex and he got a Ninja 650. He soon reported that his back has shown measurable improvement since he began commuting on it.

I've ridden cruiser bikes before and they're fine. I just like riding long distances. I'll go two hours for a gallon of milk. It's a waste of a ride to run to the corner store. ;)

I hope someone finds this tidbit useful.
I do. It gels with what I'm learning as a PT student.
For the sake of the conversation, a Sportster can be fitted with clip ons and cafe'd, or a simple set of drag bars and some mids will keep your spine just forward of straight up, depending on your measurements.
It's all part of fitting the bike to your physique. And it follows that with more aftermarket parts than anyone, a Harley can be massaged to what you want as easily or more easily than any other standard or cruiser style V-Twin bike.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:11 PM   #117
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,682
Quote:
I think that the harley touring bikes are probably all pretty comfy for the long haul, if you resist the temptation to have forward pegs and a low, low seat.
+1. I've done an Ironbutt on my Road King and just rode it 800 miles in 14 hours last Sunday without any aches or pains. Other than some buffeting from the windshield it's the most comfortable big bike I've owned (ST1100, R1100RT, VFR800, FZ1, Bandit 1200, ZRX1100 etc...). The Heritage-style handlebars (3" more pullback) and Sundowner seat greatly improved comfort over stock.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:22 PM   #118
gknepper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
I'd honestly never really thought seriously about a Harley, but after reading 8 pages of this thread God help me I want one. There must be a group somewhere for help with this affliction Harley Wanters Anonymous anyone?
gknepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:37 PM   #119
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven View Post
I do. It gels with what I'm learning as a PT student.
For the sake of the conversation, a Sportster can be fitted with clip ons and cafe'd, or a simple set of drag bars and some mids will keep your spine just forward of straight up, depending on your measurements.
It's all part of fitting the bike to your physique. And it follows that with more aftermarket parts than anyone, a Harley can be massaged to what you want as easily or more easily than any other standard or cruiser style V-Twin bike.

Goodman Engineering out of England made a lovely example much like this,,,,,can't quite see the tank badge, is this a Goodman?

Steve
Old 05-07-2012, 06:59 PM   #120
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,449
Steve,
It's done by a guy named Steve at Red Max Speed Shop in the UK. Flickr acct for the above bike's build here

Narrative here with pics.

Quote:
I'd honestly never really thought seriously about a Harley, but after reading 8 pages of this thread God help me I want one. There must be a group somewhere for help with this affliction Harley Wanters Anonymous anyone?
This is the problem with any flavor of Kool-Aid. If you drink any flavor, you're letting other people tell you how to have fun. Follow your heart and you won't go wrong with cycles. Forget the social controls and brainwashing, and HD's marketing campaign that's dipped in conchos and fringe.

If there were only 100 sportster on earth and 99 were lowered and chromed, you could still buy the last one and do whatever the hell you wanted with it.