User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2012, 09:15 PM   #1
Dieselpwr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 418
Skid plate install

I got the hardware from BMW. Can those bolts with the rubber on them (the ones that go into the oil pan) be tightened with a regular socket? Seems like it might damage the rubber. Also, what size are they. Appears to be 20 or 21 mm. The biggest I have is 19 so I will need to pick up the right size socket. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:50 PM   #2
MonsterJ
I have motopsychosis

Oddometer: 262
I'm pretty sure they're just 13mm nuts. I can't remember the torque for them off the top of my head but it's a fair amount of stink ya put on 'em and the rubber holds up just fine. If you see the rubber twist once it's torqued you went a little too far.

Temple, TX -> Cape May, NJ -> Mobile, AL -> ECity, NC -> Kodiak, AK -> Mobile, AL -> Sacto, CA -> Cape Cod, MA -> New London, CT -> San Francisco, CA -> Juneau, AK (summer of '13) -> where to next?
MonsterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:26 AM   #3
grndzr0
its Ground Zero

Oddometer: 598
When I threaded the bushing to the engine, I just got it as tight as I could by hand.

Then when tightening the Plate to the bushing, suck the nut on pretty good, but keep an eye on the bushings so as not to damage them.

If those nuts are on tight, there is no way for the bushing to spin, so it cant come out of the engine.

I have hit stuff hard enough to rip the bushings, and I have never had one loosen, and I have never lost one of the nuts...

Ryan
Old 05-07-2012, 01:48 PM   #4
GH41
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 822
There is a steel hex at he top of the rubber isolator mount. I had to grind the slight chamfer off of a deep well socket to grab it. It is not very thick. I don't remember the size but I used an SAE socket. It would be less trouble to screw them on hand tight with a drop of blue loctite. GH
GH41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:51 PM   #5
Dieselpwr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
There is a steel hex at he top of the rubber isolator mount. I had to grind the slight chamfer off of a deep well socket to grab it. It is not very thick. I don't remember the size but I used an SAE socket. It would be less trouble to screw them on hand tight with a drop of blue loctite. GH
I just hand tightened. Loctite might be a bad idea if they need to be removed since there isn't much for the socket to grab onto.
Old 05-07-2012, 04:52 PM   #6
GH41
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselpwr View Post
I just hand tightened. Loctite might be a bad idea if they need to be removed since there isn't much for the socket to grab onto.
Most people are scared of loctite because they don't know when, where or how to use it! GH
GH41 is offline   Reply With Quote