User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2012, 11:07 AM   #106
trikeboy1
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Hi Craig,

Appreciate the support mate thankyou ! To clarify , once the EXP has been set up useing the clutch lever , can the lever then be discarded or would the lever still need to be retained ? I would prefer to use the EXP in my 950 as its the newer clutch ( plus its cheaper ) .
Apologies if I am repeating myself !

Regards,

Steve
trikeboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:36 AM   #107
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,582
I guess then that the answer to my earlier question is that during a quick downshift in a curve the Rekluse will act the same as the OEM. It still could chirp the tire and/or slide a little with a brief lockup after a quick downshift, unless you take a moment to let the RPMs go to idle.

Paraphrasing (and apologies to) Douglas Adams, it works almost, but not quite, totally unlike a Slipper clutch.

Have I got it?

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 02:28 PM   #108
cjracer
AWD please!!

Oddometer: 3,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by trikeboy1 View Post
Hi Craig,

Appreciate the support mate thank you ! To clarify , once the EXP has been set up using the clutch lever , can the lever then be discarded or would the lever still need to be retained ? I would prefer to use the EXP in my 950 as its the newer clutch ( plus its cheaper ) .
Apologies if I am repeating myself !

Regards,

Steve
Hi Steve,

What would you put in the place of the lever? Why not just keep it on for setup, but don't use it?

Rekluse recommends the Free gain be checked before every ride... It's a 3 second procedure to make sure it working properly. This could be difficult for you as it requires revving the engine to about 5,000PMs and feeling what the lever does. Might need a helper for that.

That's the reason to keep it on. I've found on mine that it's held up very well and needs almost no adjustment, but it will as the fibers thin out in the system.

The Z-start pro could be checked with shims on the unit itself and away you go, no need for the clutch lever.

The EXP is setup properly with the clutch lever.
cjracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 02:34 PM   #109
cjracer
AWD please!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoTex View Post
I guess then that the answer to my earlier question is that during a quick downshift in a curve the Rekluse will act the same as the OEM. It still could chirp the tire and/or slide a little with a brief lockup after a quick downshift, unless you take a moment to let the RPMs go to idle.

Paraphrasing (and apologies to) Douglas Adams, it works almost, but not quite, totally unlike a Slipper clutch.

Have I got it?
Yes, Once you are above idle the engine acts just like your stock clutch. It's locked in.

Would you down shift with out using the clutch now?

If you can find the sweet spot and do it with the OEM clutch, you can do it with the Rekluse. I do this often, but be warned. DO it WRONG and Crunch.

Same with upshifting. Roll off, quick shift up and back on the gas. Easy and smooth, if you know what you are doing.

This system does take some practice and getting use to, but do get frustrated at first. Put 100 miles on it for your brain to reboot.

BTW, if anyone wants to get an EXP, best get your name on one soon. They are moving fast and on backorder again.... these aren't sitting around collecting dust.

cj
Old 04-25-2012, 02:50 PM   #110
trikeboy1
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Hi Craig,

Thats brilliant mate just the info I was after ! My preoccupation with the clutch lever issue is that, over the years, I have got used to not having the clutch lever on the left of the bars as, due to my right hand issue , I run a left-hand throttle and front brake master-cylinder/lever ( basically a mirror-image of the standard right-hand set-up on a bike ) .I think the older Z-Start Pro clutch maybe the one for me !
Thanks again for your kind help and patience .

Regards,

Steve
trikeboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:30 PM   #111
cjracer
AWD please!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikeboy1 View Post
Hi Craig,

Thats brilliant mate just the info I was after ! My preoccupation with the clutch lever issue is that, over the years, I have got used to not having the clutch lever on the left of the bars as, due to my right hand issue , I run a left-hand throttle and front brake master-cylinder/lever ( basically a mirror-image of the standard right-hand set-up on a bike ) .I think the older Z-Start Pro clutch maybe the one for me !
Thanks again for your kind help and patience .

Regards,

Steve
No problem, I guess I was bit off when I was reading this. Of course your throttle and controls would be moved the LEFT. I'm an idiot.

I've got a riding buddy with a similar setup "Wild Bill Smage", Loves the Rekluse and can ride faster than most with 2 working arms.

Keep the passion going no matter what. Good for you!

Good luck and safe travels.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:22 PM   #112
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,582
Just to be clear.

"Slipper" clutches, like the one on my wife's Ducati, serve a specific purpose. In the past they were the thing of factory road racers, but of late they are showing up as OEM on some bikes.

What it does (from the Wiki), "A slipper clutch (also known as a slider clutch or back-torque limiter) is a specialized clutch developed for performance oriented motorcycles to mitigate the effects of engine braking when riders decelerate as they enter corners."

I was curious whether the Rekluse provided this "slipper" effect, specifically when decelerating and/or downshifting when entering a turn on pavement.

Our big twins have a tendency to get the back wheel loose when engine braking overcomes traction. (sometimes this is what we want)

I honestly do not expect that the Rekluse does this, and wanted to confirm just in case it does.

Here's a slipper for the 990 from Yoyodyne Probably more of a Motard thing. Here's how it works.
(and all this time I thought Buckaroo Banzai put Yoyodyne out of business . . .)

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex screwed with this post 04-26-2012 at 01:19 PM
MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:01 PM   #113
Harold Waikiki
oldfatdumbbrokeoutof

Oddometer: 324
have had mine installed for about 2 weeks now on a 2011 990 dakar. been on vacation in UT, OR, will be in NM, AZ, NV. been riding it lot hard. about 70 paved and 30 dirt. works like a dream. no problems! also have on my ' 09 530 exc. and '12 350 exc. all good!
'09 KTM 530 EXC, '12 KTM 350 EXC
'82 Honda CT 110
Harold Waikiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 03:37 AM   #114
KTM Pilot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 428
Happy

I have had mine on for about two weeks now, but only used off road for the first time today - brilliant!
This is the best mod I have made so far. Enables me to drive more smoothly and quicker in any terrain - no more stalling (then dropping bike).
Pilot
Old 04-30-2012, 09:01 AM   #115
Dagwood_55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,311
Installed the EXP, got the screw on the slave turned in only 3/4 of a turn and still have a crunch when putting into gear.

Problem is: I still have clutch slipage. When crusing at 3000-3500 rpms and then opening the throttle in 5th or 6th gear, it will jump up 1000 rpm while slipping.

I pulled out my clutch pack and it still looks good and is within specs when measuring.

Anyone also have this problem in their 990? Or have any ideas
Old 05-04-2012, 06:36 PM   #116
Dagwood_55
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagwood_55 View Post
Installed the EXP, got the screw on the slave turned in only 3/4 of a turn and still have a crunch when putting into gear.

Problem is: I still have clutch slipage. When crusing at 3000-3500 rpms and then opening the throttle in 5th or 6th gear, it will jump up 1000 rpm while slipping.

I pulled out my clutch pack and it still looks good and is within specs when measuring.

Update:
I called the good people at Rekluse. They called back, said they'd had this problem with a couple of Dukes, but not an Adv yet. Anyways, they sent me new, slightly thicker smooth clutch disk. Now all works perfectly and life is good again!!

Again, Great help from Rekluse!!
Old 05-04-2012, 06:39 PM   #117
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,771
Quote:

I just installed a rekluse in my 990. While playing with the adjustment screw I "adjusted" it to have the same problem as you are describing by turning it in too far. I reset the adjustment screw a few times using different starting points. At a very light pressure starting point and at 3/4s turn it now works without that 1000 RPM slipping. I'll do some more testing tomorrow to to make sure i got it right.

How much gain are you measuring? You could always turn it all the way out as described for bump starting and see if you get full engagement.

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:21 PM   #118
biggus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Quote:

Problem is: I still have clutch slipage. When at 3000-3500 rpms and then opening the throttle in 5th or 6th gear, it will jump up 1000 rpm while slipping.

I am experiencing the same thing on my 06 950s.

It actually is happening at all speeds and rpms. Whenever I crack the throtle wide open the clutch slips, rpms go way up until it grabs then all is good.

Is this suppose to be normal?

I have not had the opportunity to try it off road yet but it has got me wondering how the clutch is going to act.
biggus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 05:47 AM   #119
Dagwood_55
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus View Post
I am experiencing the same thing on my 06 950s.

It actually is happening at all speeds and rpms. Whenever I crack the throtle wide open the clutch slips, rpms go way up until it grabs then all is good.

Is this suppose to be normal?

I have not had the opportunity to try it off road yet but it has got me wondering how the clutch is going to act.

Same thing mine was doing. It was at all speeds/gears, but more in higher gears. I was also at 3/4 turn on the slave. Mine was slipping so bad, that I was going to go back to OEM clutch.

But as I said, what I did was call Rekluse, Sounded like they were aware of the problem, but meybe not the extent of it, especially on the Adv bikes.

Anyways, they sent me 6 more smooth, slightly thicker clutch disks. Now it seams to hook up better than it did, tho I only road it around the block. Today I will ride into the Ozarks 2 up and have a better idea if all is perfect.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:55 AM   #120
ktm950se
Banned

Oddometer: 1,385
All these adjustment issues kinda make you wonder if changing over to this type of clutch is really worth it....

I know that until Rekluse gets everything to work perfectly without any compromises, I'll be sticking with the stock clutch...

ktm950se
ktm950se is offline   Reply With Quote