Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2012, 06:05 AM   #31
helotaxi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp4Mike View Post
You guys are right though, the difference between 50 and 70 mpg is only ~$279 a year just driving to work and back every day. Thanks asshole, now there are more bikes to choose from hehe
Something else to consider is whether the bike is made to run on regular or premium. If cost is the primary reason for wanting fuel economy, being able to run on cheap gas should get some consideration as well. For example guys talk about the "poor" fuel economy of the new Triumph Tigers and hold up the F800GS by comparison. The BMW gets about 10% better mileage but requires premium while my Tiger is perfectly content getting right at 50mpg on 86 octane.
helotaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:22 AM   #32
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,343
My TU250 burns regular and gets around 80 mpg, and has a 3.4 gallon tank.
The interstate is fun, and the motor is smooth, tires are about $50.00, easy valve adjustment, 1.5 quarts of oil, filter every other change at 6000 miles.
Turn key, push button, ride.
A low cost way of having a lot of fun.
I got the bike new for $3000.00, coming up on 10,000 miles on it.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:50 AM   #33
XRx
Broken Filter

Oddometer: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrowhawk View Post
1.) Simply stay away from street legal racing dirt bikes...

...a BMW G650 Serato.
I was liking that Sertao until I saw that the DRY weight is 390 lbs!

Racing dirt bikes, I assume you mean the high strung motocrossers. But I love my plated XR650R, though it doesn't meet all of his criteria, getting 40-50 mpg, plus maybe other reasons. But it's great on the street I think. I commute with it 100+ miles round trip and it blasts up the highway nicely. If you set it up for your use, it can be great. It's also 100 lbs less than that BMW, plus you can pick them up pretty cheap, which can go into making up for the gas mileage, which is still good.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:04 AM   #34
YamahaTN
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
I have a WR250R. I am down one tooth on the front and not afraid to take it on the interstate. Now there are times that I have the throttle wide open and I don't like running the engine wound out like that for long periods of time. I refuse to take anything bigger than a 250 on the trails. I need something that is light and easy to crawl out from underneath if you know what I mean. I would not want to ride it cross country but we routinely ride 30 miles or so of either back roads or interstate to get to the trails.
YamahaTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 12:30 PM   #35
Sparrowhawk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRx View Post
I was liking that Sertao until I saw that the DRY weight is 390 lbs!

Racing dirt bikes, I assume you mean the high strung motocrossers. But I love my plated XR650R,
I would also prefer an old plated XRR over a new Serato but that's because my criteria is different than Sp4Mike's. Everybody likes something different, which is why we have so many different bikes to choose from.

Since he wants a new, not used, bike I was referring to the street legal enduro race bikes like KTM's EXC or Husky's TE lines. They are fantastic bikes but require very frequent maintenance (300 mile oil and filter changes when ridden hard) compared to the heavier dual sports.
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 12:34 PM   #36
XRx
Broken Filter

Quote:
I would also prefer an old plated XRR over a new Serato but that's because my criteria is different than Sp4Mike's. Everybody likes something different, which is why we have so many different bikes to choose from.

Since he wants a new, not used, bike I was referring to the street legal enduro race bikes like KTM's EXC or Husky's TE lines. They are fantastic bikes but require very frequent maintenance (300 mile oil and filter changes when ridden hard) compared to the heavier dual sports.
Oh, I read new as new to him, my mistake.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:02 PM   #37
Sp4Mike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 217
I'm not 100% against buying used, but I've been burned before on what looked like a good used purchase. And the cost savings isn't that great anyway. It's really not about the money at all. There will be plenty left over for gas and accessories.
Sp4Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:15 PM   #38
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,198
If the money doesn't matter, why not get a real capable road bike to commute and a real decent dirt bike for dirt riding?
Best of both worlds, with no compromise on either.
Seems a no brainer.
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:21 PM   #39
XRx
Broken Filter

Quote:
I'm not 100% against buying used, but I've been burned before on what looked like a good used purchase. And the cost savings isn't that great anyway. It's really not about the money at all. There will be plenty left over for gas and accessories.
http://www.xr650r.us/ if u want info
Old 05-05-2012, 01:32 PM   #40
Sparrowhawk
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
That doesn't really change the options much. All of the current adventure/dual-sport thumpers have been on the market, basically unchanged, for many years. There are two 650s that are only available used; the KTM LC4 640 Adventure/E (replaced by the 690) and the Husky TE 610/630 (discontinued in USA). Both are probably more dirt focussed than the use you describe wanting and the KTM was never a fuel economy star.

Bikes like the Honda XR650R (not XR650L) were big brawny race bikes made for events like the Baja 1000. You can get a license plate for them in some states but not all. They were not street legal as sold. Some states have taken plates away from owners so it can be a bit of a political risk if you want to ride one on the street.

The XRR is a bit of a cult bike because it is light and powerful for a 650 and has great off-road abilities, especially in open terrain. However, it is hard to license and lacks an electric start. Many wish Honda would have used it as the starting point for the street legal dual sport but they didn't. They produced the lardy, low powered XRL instead. The XRL is still a great bike but it lacks the magic and performance of the XRR.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:56 PM   #41
XRx
Broken Filter

Quote:
Bikes like the Honda XR650R (not XR650L) were big brawny race bikes made for events like the Baja 1000. You can get a license plate for them in some states but not all. They were not street legal as sold. Some states have taken plates away from owners so it can be a bit of a political risk if you want to ride one on the street.

The XRR is a bit of a cult bike because it is light and powerful for a 650 and has great off-road abilities, especially in open terrain. However, it is hard to license and lacks an electric start. Many wish Honda would have used it as the starting point for the street legal dual sport but they didn't. They produced the lardy, low powered XRL instead. The XRL is still a great bike but it lacks the magic and performance of the XRR.
I've heard that CA bikes after '04 model are the ones that get plates revoked, only place I've heard of that.

I'm in highly fascist MA and haven't had any problems. Though I did have to buy a bike that was plated in a state where it can be done. Mine was plated in Montana and made its way to MA, to my good fortune. Many other states allow you to plate dirt bikes too. About half the XR650R's I see for sale are advertised as street legal, and most of those have the Baja Designs Dual Sport Kit, which is a good kit. Although if night riding, lighting and stator upgrade recommended.

EDIT: Anyway, why I like the bike so much, only 300 lbs, liquid cooled, beefy aluminum frame, desert racing champ level suspension, no heavy electric start. BTW it has two (auto&manual) decompression systems, that make it very easy to start, I often start mine in slippers while sitting on the seat, it's that easy to kick over.

XRx screwed with this post 05-05-2012 at 02:01 PM
XRx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 02:49 PM   #42
Sp4Mike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkent02 View Post
If the money doesn't matter, why not get a real capable road bike to commute and a real decent dirt bike for dirt riding?
Best of both worlds, with no compromise on either.
Seems a no brainer.

"Money doesn't matter" and "Im very wealthy" are two different things. The money doesn't matter because there are only a couple bikes out of my price range. But buying two bikes is probably out of my price range. And then I would have to pick two bikes from the tons of options out there.

Buying two used bikes doesn't help either. Also, 80% street and 20% dirt means I couldn't justify a 'real' dirtbike, let alone a trailer to haul it, a place to store two bikes and trailer, etc. If I was going to buy a dirt only type bike, I would probably get a Rokon if that is any indication of the type of off-roading I like to do.

What about the TW 200? It gets pretty good mileage, and with a sprocket change will go 70-75mph. If it helps, I think only a very small portion of my riding would be on an interstate. If I was going far I would click the "avoid freeways" box on mapquest.
Sp4Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 03:13 PM   #43
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,343
My tw200 will do 70 mph, eventually, and that is after a sprocket change.
50 to 60 mph is what it likes.

It will go through almost anything in the dirt though.
I do not rate it as a good bike on the street.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 12:01 PM   #44
Sparrowhawk
Beastly Adventurer

This should keep you entertained for a while.

http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/technical/2012JanPerfIndx.pdf