Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2012, 04:47 PM   #16
Navin OP
Unwounding

Oddometer: 6,671
I think I flooded it last time I had a problem. 2 pumps today at 60 f and it held idle right away, one try.

The bike was on the track today. Had a problem with stalling under braking, needed a bit of throttle to restart. Turned up the idle until it went away or I figured to ride around it. Needs more time to see if it is still there.

The power is explosive, like a full on built up 450 SX bike, it just barks now. Good and bad I fear, but it gets your attention!

The stalling in choppy stuff seems to be gone.

Testing got cut short by a newly revalved shock that is leaking oil and a missing rubber bottoming snubber. It starting bottoming hard after about 15-20 minutes then kicking so I pulled off only to find that mess. No more riding till next week.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 03:22 PM   #17
Navin OP
Unwounding

Found the house smelling of fuel, dug in with a flashlight and the screws just above the accell pump are leaking, shooting fuel out with a throttle twist but dripping the rest of the time. The fuel was pooling between the cylinders, a line of gas down the left side cases and evaporating before hitting the floor. Glad I caught it before it blew the house up with fumes at the furnace in the next room! BOOM!

Sudco tells me those are drilled/tapped to install the leak jet and were supposed to be epoxied in. OK, someone missed that step. Epoxy drying as I type, check this if you get these carbs!!!
Old 05-04-2012, 06:04 PM   #18
Navin OP
Unwounding

This has been a love hate relationship with these carbs. With the CVs I had higher speed impact induced fluttering/stalling, with the FCRs it stalls into corners and with the clutch in in low speed, idle level junk. On the street or in the driveway it is fine.

Today was the second time I needed to be towed out of the woods. A combination of the shitty stalling and the crapola Shorai battery which after about 6 starts just clicked the starter. I'll give these one more going over but right now I give them a huge thumb down. My higher speed stalling is gone but this is just as bad.

Very frustrating, back to square one!
Old 05-04-2012, 09:16 PM   #19
Dustodust
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 775
I loved riding my 950 ADV with FCR41's
the midrange hit was absolutely incredible
I built a baffled cold air intake waterproof heat resistant carbon fiber air box using phenolic HR aircraft resin like a quality exhaust heat shield
the roar was awesome , it had that big V-8 resonating vacuum
fuel mileage was about the same as my CV's maybe better
I had them dialed perfectly
after a lot of tinkering they were very reliable and ran absolutly perfect .
.....that is IF I could get it started on a cold morning

and thats a big IF to deal with when adventure riding solo

its not a very good feeling to crawl out of a tent and see frost on the seat and wonder IF, I like to keep my If's under control

at 60 degrees F and under it was throwing dice to get it to start without killing a battery
sometimes it would start OK other times forget it , and thats after trying every ritual possible
other times no problem at all especially above 60 F, in summertime they were excellent
once they got started they were good for the rest of the day , as long as you dont let the motor metal get cold
and the $140 battery will go to trash if killed too may times, they just do not survive too many draining s and recharges

So reluctantly , after about a year of fun, dependability outweighed the awesome performance factor so I sold them

I dont have a lot of good to say about Sudco . I live within range and used to visit there often to get retail carb parts for my various bikes and the cringe factor of having to deal with their attitude became too much to bear
When I asked about them providing FCR's with a choke for the 950's It was as if I may as well have been asking the boss for a raise, all I got was know it all attitude and a turned back
If Sudco would take their head out of their rectum and listen to riders then maybe they could come up with some decent products at competitive prices, like jetting kits for example, but all that would take real world hands on R&D, something they have no clue about
hope that didnt break any forum rules, I am just pissed that the FCRs dont have a choke or I would still have them , in fact I would consider buying some again, especially if Sudco was not involved

Dustodust screwed with this post 05-04-2012 at 10:16 PM
Dustodust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:03 PM   #20
Dustodust
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
This has been a love hate relationship with these carbs. With the CVs I had higher speed impact induced fluttering/stalling, with the FCRs it stalls into corners and with the clutch in in low speed, idle level junk. On the street or in the driveway it is fine.

Today was the second time I needed to be towed out of the woods. A combination of the shitty stalling and the crapola Shorai battery which after about 6 starts just clicked the starter. I'll give these one more going over but right now I give them a huge thumb down. My higher speed stalling is gone but this is just as bad.

Very frustrating, back to square one!
If you want to sell them put me in line
I know how to get them dialed for everything but cold starting and thinking about giving it another go
I must have taken mine off al dozen times to get them dialed just right , I tried every jetting range, different needles and pump squirt timing durations, even experimented with the Honda CRF450 pump rods
I found that compared to a single, the 950 likes a lot of pump squirt and the float level is critical,and the slides need to be adjusted to open at precisely the same time, there is also a balance point for air/fuel ration between at idle slide opening(idle adjustment screw), and the pilot fuel screw .
If you were close by and could bring it by I am confident could get it running tops for you in a about 2-4 hours

I am considering fabricating an old tech cable operated butterfly choke with spring loaded bypass door like the old 70's Keihins had , or possibly an electric solenoid actuated enrichment system using fuel injectors in the intake stream
and I have enough HT phenolic resin left over to build another CA intake box

hope you get it sorted Navin they are a lot of fun and well worth the effort , espescially if just riding out of the house in fair weather all the time

Dustodust screwed with this post 05-04-2012 at 10:34 PM
Dustodust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 02:24 PM   #21
Navin OP
Unwounding

I'm going to play with them again and see if I can get them right. The choke thing had me worried too, 7-8 tries I'd guess yesterday to light it, which probably drained the Shorai enought that 15 minutes later it was dead. If it wasn't so hard to start maybe the battery would have gotten me home?

Do you recall where you had the floats set? When you set the slides did you use a feeler guage or tiny drill bit? I doubt I can do much worse than H2W's JD jet kit mix. Did you happen to post up your settings or a process of how you dialed them in?

Thanks
Old 05-05-2012, 06:38 PM   #22
kamanya
Andrew to most

Oddometer: 1,250
I have my 39's in and just completed a rally. Early morning temperatures for the 4 days were was about 3 degree celcius = 37f. The altitude was 1340 meters. When I arrived I needed to turn the idle up slightly.

For the coldest morning, two pumps and it farted and died. Another 2, the same. Then I held in the starter and after about 3 seconds the one cylinder started to catch and after about 6 seconds it was running on its own.

Just out of curiosity, I let it run for maybe 10 more seconds then turned it off. It fired right up, no hesitation. I have found that even when slightly warm, it starts instantly.

For the other mornings, I had very little trouble starting it. I still haven't found a sequence to what works best. I have been experimenting with a combination of a few pumps and prolonged starter motor. The most pumps I gave were 6 and that didn't seem to help much.

My settings for my Adventure with a 08 990 Super Duke engine are;

Elevation @ home = sea level.

Front Cylinder:
Main #140
Pilot # 52
Needle Second groove from the bottom
Pilot Screw 1.25 turns out
Float Height 15mm

Rear Cylinder same as front, but main #142.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:57 PM   #23
Navin OP
Unwounding

Thanks for the settings, I'll be back in the bike this week to adjust/troubleshoot.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:12 AM   #24
veetwo _tls
RENOVATIO:

Oddometer: 1,813
9 C = 48.2 F mornings in south australia were i am.

8 pumps & 3 goes it fires on one cylinder then 2nd cuts in. just normal use on the starter button.

i'm about 35.5 above sea level was 2 1/2 turns out had a flat spot (now 2 turns out seems ok) thinking trying another 1/4 of a turn for curiosity. but waiting for my filter skins to arrive first.
MY07 950 SER
veetwo _tls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:01 PM   #25
Navin OP
Unwounding

So I finally had a bit of time to work and test this pig. I reset the floats and went a little too far. Now she runs lean on top, . THe few bumps I could hit under braking suggest the stalling MAY be remedied but I need to get more gas in there while not allowing so much it splashes and floods her dead.

Anyone have an actual spec on the float heights for the FCRS on the 950???

And, on top of my off road stalling I have just found my RR has pissed the bed, new Ricks on the way. Wonder how long that has been going bad? Till that arrives not much point in trying to ride her, the battery is stone dead in 15 minutes of riding and if it does stall off road, I'm stuck.

More in a week or so I guess.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:16 PM   #26
Navin OP
Unwounding

Where is the cricket smilie? Close enough!

I went back in and went from 16mm float height measured from the bowl sealing surface to the point the needle closes. It had been at 16mm-ish where I had the upper RPM lean out. It hits the limiter again with full power. I charged the battery and only did a few runs up the street spinning the Teraflex! Back on the charger again!

Now I must wait for the RR to get it in the woods and check for the stalling, fingers crossed!
Old 08-24-2012, 08:27 PM   #27
kennyd
kennyd

Oddometer: 231
specs say 9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
Where is the cricket smilie? Close enough!

I went back in and went from 16mm float height measured from the bowl sealing surface to the point the needle closes. It had been at 16mm-ish where I had the upper RPM lean out. It hits the limiter again with full power. I charged the battery and only did a few runs up the street spinning the Teraflex! Back on the charger again!

Now I must wait for the RR to get it in the woods and check for the stalling, fingers crossed!
specs say 9mm
kennyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 07:53 AM   #28
Navin OP
Unwounding

I wish I had measured them as delivered now!

I'm pretty sure they were close to 9mm before and they were stalling like crazy diving into corners off road. They were definetly higher than they are now. I now know 16mm is too low. If it doesn't stall at 12, it'll stay there. I'll move 1mm at a time now if I have to go to less fuel again.

Thanks!
Old 08-28-2012, 04:54 AM   #29
sakurama
on an endless build

Oddometer: 1,365
I'm just getting mine on now but one thing I found after setting the floats per spec is my rear cylinder wasn't getting fuel from the accelerator pump. They went back to Sudco twice and they reported no problems but finally suggested that I tweak the rear float level. I didn't measure it but I just set it for a higher level and now finally I have both pumps working in tandem and it's starting easier.

Wondering if maybe others are having a similar issue since I'm hearing a lot of "It started running on one cylinder..." about starting. Just a thought.

Gregor
sakurama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:23 AM   #30
charlie264
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,008
Not an ideal solution but a technique I saw many moons ago. Aerosol can of easy start, a tube into air box of a xr600 with a cap.