Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2012, 10:51 AM   #391
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Invader View Post
wich roadbook-program is that?

That's one of the 2011 Mexican 1000 roadbooks. I made them using my own set of tools, which include Excel, Google Earth, Acrobat, and several software tools I created myself. Most of the tulip drawings in that one were drawn by NORRA (Ken Cameron), which I copied over into this roadbook format. I sent a PDF of the roadbook to crankshaft, and his wife worked it into a continuous form that could be printed on that wide format printer. The whole process is WAY more time consuming than you could imagine. Creating the official GPS file was a piece of cake compared to the roadbooks.
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:46 AM   #392
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild View Post

That's one of the 2011 Mexican 1000 roadbooks. I made them using my own set of tools, which include Excel, Google Earth, Acrobat, and several software tools I created myself. Most of the tulip drawings in that one were drawn by NORRA (Ken Cameron), which I copied over into this roadbook format. I sent a PDF of the roadbook to crankshaft, and his wife worked it into a continuous form that could be printed on that wide format printer. The whole process is WAY more time consuming than you could imagine. Creating the official GPS file was a piece of cake compared to the roadbooks.
Is it cost effective this way? Sure saves alot of time for the riders...
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:19 PM   #393
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,050
Quote:

I made the roll charts for the Nevada Rally moto one year. It took forever....a lot more work than I had anticipated. Had to use Excel to splice everything togetether and printed multiple sheets of 11x17 which I sliced with a giant paper cutter and shipped out. I think I got a thanks for the effort and that was it. Not too thrilled about doing that again.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:28 PM   #394
wrk2surf OP
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,172
Quote:

wow thanks Aaron and wife!

And Scott !

I will upack my 5 rolls of scotch tape..
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:50 PM   #395
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf View Post
wow thanks Aaron and wife!

And Scott !

I will upack my 5 rolls of scotch tape..
Perfect! All you'll need is a time machine, so you can run the 2011 race
We just printed them as a test, to see if it was possible on my Wife's printer.
Sending a roll to Scott for testing.
Old 04-20-2012, 01:52 PM   #396
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
Is it cost effective this way? Sure saves alot of time for the riders...
Once we streamline the operation, it will be very cost effective. We're trying to source a thinner, cheaper paper product. The roll she printed was on 7.5 mil paper. It's a little thick but it's crazy durable and easily re-usable for a training event.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:41 PM   #397
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
The roll she printed was on 7.5 mil paper. It's a little thick but it's crazy durable and easily re-usable for a training event.
Durable is good. But thick is not because it limits the length of roll that will fit in the roadbook holder. A typical 1-day Dakar roadbook is so long it has to be split in two, with the second half installed mid-day (at a gas stop).

Re-usable is not important because each rider marks them up with colored highlighters. And nobody marks them the same. So, each person needs a fresh one.

Finding the right paper in a large enough roll at a reasonable price is not an easy task. If you ever do find something that is just right, I'd be interested in what it is, what the specs are, and what price it is. I did find a solution, but the cost might blow your mind.

This is a special one done for Jonah for his "headings only" training. It's a continuous sheet about 60ft (18m) long. With my Snail-Dog printer it takes about 45 minutes to print. If I can get my new Turbo-Hog printer to work, it should only take about 5 minutes to print.
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:02 PM   #398
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 6,868
Quick question: for those that have an ICO VR Rallye. Is the case aluminum or some sort of plastic?

I just got the cheaper DS model and was surprised that the outer shell is some sort of plastic. I always assumed it was aluminum.

Thanks
Old 05-05-2012, 06:16 PM   #399
nfranco
over macho grande?

Oddometer: 761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Pig View Post
Quick question: for those that have an ICO VR Rallye. Is the case aluminum or some sort of plastic?

I just got the cheaper DS model and was surprised that the outer shell is some sort of plastic. I always assumed it was aluminum.

Thanks
Plastic.
nfranco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 07:59 PM   #400
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 6,868
Thanks.

I was wondering if that would have explained the 150% price difference between the DS & the Rallye version. Guess not.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:38 AM   #401
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,050
Quote:
Thanks.

I was wondering if that would have explained the 150% price difference between the DS & the Rallye version. Guess not.
the VR is supposedly built a lot more durably than the other computers they sell. It is also capable of running km's. look at the dugas engineering computers too.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:33 AM   #402
MakS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
The my idea for the "KTM"

MakS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:06 AM   #403
pilo
Rhymes with below

Oddometer: 857
v2.0

Second version seems to be working excellent with my BD 8". Thanks to paul@hdb for all of his help. Heading off today for Jimmy's class.

Oh, and I solved my connector questions by just ordering lots of parts. Hopefully this last for a while. At least I know where to order. The AMP stuff I found was cheapest at www.onlinecomponents.com

pilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:35 AM   #404
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,262
Awesome, thanks for the connectors lead.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 01:35 PM   #405
drc42
Rally Dreamer

Oddometer: 1,744
Quote:
Thanks.

A tip on these, last week in Mexico my ICO fell apart 10 miles in. The 4 small screws that hold the metal backing plate to the plastic body all vibrated loose. I would suggest a piece of tape over each screw to prevent it from backing out. I don't know if this is a common failure on these, this is my first ICO, but considering how quickly it happened I suspect I am not the only one.