User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2012, 04:22 PM   #31
Chicken Helmet
I'm A Stumper™

Oddometer: 4,738
mas bueno
From what I've heard, riding a DR feels just like riding a KLR except you're head doesn't sway left and right constantly scanning the ditches for aluminum cans.
Chicken Helmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:38 AM   #32
slimy
Wanabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Great roads, great trip, and yes a little adversity. But that is what makes it an adventure. It is how you handle those misfortunes that makes a story……stay tuned……
Old 04-24-2012, 06:21 PM   #33
waybill
cheap thrill

Oddometer: 611
Dave's about a half day ahead of me so I'll try to catch up. After this little incident happened (amazingly no one photographed it, well almost)

...there was a lot of standing around going, 'are you ok man?" and stuff like that : )

the answer to which was, I can ride but there's somethin' wrong with the left foot, which later kinda turned into a blueish balloon looking thing. When we got into town I found a drugstore for some Advil, a cane, and an Ace bandage. The next morning I decided to sleep in and catch them at the lunch stop. Actually leaving a little sooner than anticipated and making good time on some shortcuts, I thought since it had rained all night and there was one dirt junction, I could tell if they were ahead or behind me by whether I saw their tracks. There was a couple having some car issues at the last paved intersection so I asked the girl if she'd seen five guys on dirtbikes come by here and she goes yeah, about 10 minutes ago. I knew they were going Tusquitee Gap and I could hustle up Tuni and cut them off...was there about 5 minutes.

Before they showed up and then stuff like this started happening... Fred goes, hey ya see that hill over there?

And Dave (the other Dave) says, aw no Fred don't do it...

well, guess what.

It did end well though.

I'm kinda digging this video stuff so will go back and finish off the last part of yesterday's ride with a couple.

Should be gettin the hang of it now, hit the tune then the vids.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgYuLsudaJQ

1150Adv, 950Adv, 800GS, TR650, DR350
waybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:41 PM   #34
waybill
cheap thrill

A few more videos then I'm outta here for awhile, Dave should be putting a cap on it pretty soon so hang in there a little longer.

These vids are of one of the more fun (and challenging) sections on the main route, although there are a couple alternate routes for the last day that are moreso.

Again, the song, then the videos, and go full screen and HD (bottom right).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cye8e...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0FJCsOV7CA

Old 04-26-2012, 05:52 PM   #35
Day13 OP
Worst Avatar EVER!

Oddometer: 663
Back to the story...

We hooked up with Bill and the lunch plan was set. It was a great ride out to Andrews to the now infamous "Burger Basket." We got there just ahead of the lunch rush and quickly came to understand why it soon became so congested. It's a rather smallish place to begin with and the hand patted burgers and fresh cut fries had the locals coming from all directions. Some of the guys even got chicken fingers (at a burger joint?!) and said they were great. No pics. Sorry, but you'll have to check it out for yourself!

Just a really neat ride through the Snowbird Mountains on our way to Tellico Plains.

We were sailing right along when we came upon an unexpected sight. The road was open on the end we came in on. I swear it! Had to thin the profile on the GSA a little bit and still just barely made it!

But we all made it eventually. Fred even did double duty for our wounded comrade. Brother, if that ain't incriminating, I don't know what is!!

Our plan was to make it to FS Road 81 and take that westward but the gate was CLOSED!! We called Mini Mike at Tellico Motorcycle Outfitters and he said they had been doing controlled burns in there and that was possibly why it was gated off. So... we had to take to the Skyway. Real bummer.

Notice the dark clouds gathering in the background, Definitely a harbinger of things to come...

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimy View Post
Great roads, great trip, and yes a little adversity. But that is what makes it an adventure. It is how you handle those misfortunes that makes a story……stay tuned……

And then, DEPRESSION SET IN...

You can probably tell at a glance that this ain't good. We were about 5 miles into the Skyway past 81 and I began to feel that dreaded wiggle waggle in the rear. I immediately thought flat. I should have been so lucky. Fortunately, Fred and Dave were behind me and had noticed strange goings on with my bike so they dove off with me when I pulled over to check it out. Let me just say, as the picture above attests, that Fred and Dave are not only extremely knowledgeable about all things motorcycle related, but ALWAYS the first to dive in on any problem, perceived or potential. These are the kind of guys you would want to have with you if you found yourself marooned on Gilligan's Island. (If you couldn't have Ginger and Mary Ann!) I mean, they were on it! Fred has a seemingly bottomless bag of tricks that he kept pulling solutions out of and Dave was right there to supply the muscle.

It turned out to be a wheel bearing. But not to worry! Fred had a miniature mustard bottle full of ATF (doesn't everyone?) that he bathed the bearing in (3 times) enough to get back to Robbinsville.

Limping toward Robbinsville

Luckily, it was unusual the way it went out. It still had enough left to make it to town where we took the wheel off and after strapping it on the back of Rony's GSA, struck out for Wheeler's Cycle shop. Just as the bottom fell out.

You might say it was the most fortuitous stroke of serendipity ever, depending on your perspective. I like to think it was the providence of God. Not only was Wheeler's open at 3:00 on Saturday afternoon, not only did he have the bearings and seals in stock, but he dropped what he was doing and in 25 minutes had it all buttoned up and we were on our way. The wheel was installed and we pointed the caravan back toward Dillard.

Stay tuned for the climactic conclusion. OR the merciful end!!
Day13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 05:32 PM   #36
Chicken Helmet
I'm A Stumper™

Oddometer: 4,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day13 View Post
Stay tuned for the climactic conclusion. OR the merciful end!!
My A.D.D. is being tested on this one.
From what I've heard, riding a DR feels just like riding a KLR except you're head doesn't sway left and right constantly scanning the ditches for aluminum cans.
Chicken Helmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:59 PM   #37
Day13 OP
Worst Avatar EVER!

Oddometer: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken Helmet View Post
My A.D.D. is being tested on this one.

I know what you're say'in. I was asked about this very thing earlier today. I've been out of town for a week and just neglected to follow through. But, enough with the excuses and down the home stretch we go!

The rain was coming down in buckets by this time and the temps began to drop as well. I was so relieved not to be marooned on the side of the Skyway that I think I was actually humming in my helmet and not even noticing the deteriorating conditions. That was not the case with our ride leader. Bill pulled into the rest area at the north end of Wayah road saying he was freezing and began to put on more clothes and I did suddenly become aware that the temperature had dropped about 15 degrees. This was the most direct route back to Mountain City but I knew it was going to be tricky in the rain and cold temps.

And then, more depression set in. Bill's bike wouldn't start. On top of that the battery sounded weaker and weaker. If we had much more delay darkness would overtake us and then the going would get dicey for sure. (Not that we hadn't done Wayah before at night, in the rain.) But it ain't fun!

Thankfully, we had Fred MacGyver with us. I had gone to answer the call so I didn't get the first hand take on the fix, but Fred apparently pulled a spare spark plug out of his spares pack and put the plug cap on it and turned the starter over and then put everything back and the bike started. It was something like that anyway. Whatever he did, Bill swore it had no bearing whatsoever on the bike starting. Pure luck, he said. Well, we set off again hoping for the best.

It eventually stopped raining as we crossed to the other side of the mountain and began to close in on our destination. I think we were starting to zone out as evidenced even by the camera shots!

We finally made it back to our campsite and got cleaned up and dried out and set about to find some food. We turned in early in preparation for packing it all up and heading back to FL the next morning. The cool thing about the way this trip was planned was that we could ride home in the comfort of the van in one day. With our narrow window of time this was the best way to do it.

We had blast riding some great roads and enjoying time with new friends. But, as all great times must end, we said our goodbyes and set off.

Rony rode the GSA back to Palm Coast:

And Dave, he just rode...

Looking forward to the next one already.
Day13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:44 PM   #38
waybill
cheap thrill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Day13 View Post
I know what you're say'in. I was asked about this very thing earlier today. I've been out of town for a week and just neglected to follow through. But, enough with the excuses and down the home stretch we go!

And then, more depression set in. Bill's bike wouldn't start. On top of that the battery sounded weaker and weaker.
I was out of town awhile too but thanks Dave, and nice job.

That Dakar has some recurring issue when it gets wet, the tach goes crazy, it runs erratic, and sometimes won't restart. Fred took one of the plug wires off and stuck his spare in it to see if it had spark. The thing started and ran fine with the extra plug hanging off the side, weird. I told him to leave it that way and I'd just ride it but I think he just wanted his plug back. Anyway it was fine the rest of the day.

One or two more videos w/sound (courtesy of Youtube) oughta do it. Thanks for tagging along.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-XKc7XyS50

And one more from the previous year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oei5PTADpPM