User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2012, 07:11 PM   #1
390beretta OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,031
How many ride 6 or 7 days a week?

I currently ride an older ('88 K75). I consider it my primary means of transportation and put enough miles on it every week/month to still be appalled by gas prices. My wife rides an '08 Versys and uses it the same way I do my bike, although we do own a '10 Jeep Wrangler when we need a cage.

My question is really: How do you who ride your bikes daily, perhaps not just commuting, but as a primary means of transportation feel about that? I ride in Phx. traffic daily and have posted a number of threads relative to those experiences. I also consider myself to be a very careful and accomplished rider.(on pavement, less so on dirt)

I've gotten the impression, rightly or wrongly, that a lot of posters ride on week-ends, only when the weather is good, just for fun, etc. In contrast, I've put nearly 6,000 miles on my bike in the past 4 months.......almost all in Phoenix city traffic, not that I would have preferred that. (although it sure as hell does save on gas)
390beretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 07:13 PM   #2
No False Enthusiasm
a quiet adventurer

Oddometer: 4,205
I ride about 350 days per year...

NFE
No False Enthusiasm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 07:16 PM   #3
moe.ron
Poor Dumb Bastard

Oddometer: 2,389
I ride to work every day but its only 26 miles round trip, weekends for fun.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:46 PM   #4
Ever Onward
Time Killer

Oddometer: 623
If the weather is over 50 and mostly dry i usually ride about 6 days a week.

If I lived anywhere's around Phoenix, it would be zero. I refuse to ride in big city traffic.
Ever Onward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:05 PM   #5
alii1959
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
My bike is m main source of transport. I ride nearly everyday. I commute to work and ride for fun on the weekends.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:07 PM   #6
tlartist
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
I am with you. Ride whenever I can.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:14 PM   #7
Ron Bullard
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
I consider my SV my primary means of transportation - I commute to work on it six or seven days a week, depending on my schedule. I also use it as much as I can to run errands, so long as any necessary items (groceries, etc.) fit inside my topbox. My wife and I have a car, but most of the time it sits there as she uses alternate means of getting around as well.

Regarding the gas prices, 45+ MPG on the SV is still much better than our car, but it's not amazing MPG by any means. I just rebuilt the engine on an XT350 and plan on commuting on that once I feel confident in its reliability (65MPG?).

Day Trippin':

The Ridge Route, 2011

The Oregon Coast, 2009

"...the fuel goes in there, through there and out there. . . the black turny thing on the back then goes round and round."
Ron Bullard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:38 PM   #8
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by 390beretta View Post
I've gotten the impression, rightly or wrongly, that a lot of posters ride on week-ends, only when the weather is good, just for fun, etc. In contrast, I've put nearly 6,000 miles on my bike in the past 4 months.......almost all in Phoenix city traffic, not that I would have preferred that. (although it sure as hell does save on gas)
Well I ride purely for fun in constant backroad twisties, pretty much only if the roads are dry, unless I'm on a long trip.... I put 11k on my new bike purchased last September. But it was an amazing winter riding season this year in the Northeast.

The cost of tires and service on a bike is far higher than my cages... I'm pretty sure it costs me more to ride than drive, including the price of fuel.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:44 PM   #9
J. Thompson #5150
300-pound Gorilla

Oddometer: 213
My car sits in the parking lot unless the weather is outright dangerous - hail, lightning, that kind of thing. Aside from that I ride to work every morning and I go riding almost every day afterwards. During the winter if the bike will start and there's no snow or ice on the streets I'll ride my bike in a heartbeat. Earlier last month we had a nasty cold spell. My bike's tank and seat had thick frost when I left and even the seat still had frost on it after my half-hour commute. My hands were numb and so stiff I could barely operate the controls by the time I got there but to me that's just part of the experience.

J. Thompson #5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:48 PM   #10
390beretta OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,031
More of you like us than I thought
390beretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:54 PM   #11
nigelcorn
Wannabe.

Oddometer: 794
I have used mine as my primary transport for about 5 years now, but I have the wife's car for backup if I need it. I even commuted through an Iowa winter including 5 below (not including the windchill). I now live in Vegas, so have ridden in 115. Pretty big range for commuting, and neither extreme is particularly fun.

I have noticed that here in Vegas as it warms up I see way more motorcycles on the road. I don't get it. The fall-spring is best time to ride here, and it isn't all that fun in the summer but for some reason everyone puts their bike away in the fall and doesn't pull it back out until it is too hot to ride comfortably.
nigelcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:18 PM   #12
jazzmans
fickt euch

Oddometer: 7,312
I don't own a car, haven't for more then five years.

When I drive a freinds car, I'm amazed at how limited I am as far as visibility, maneuverablility etc.

Much better on bike. except when it's raining. it sucks when it's raining. It Rains rarely enough that I don't carry rain gear with me.

jaz

life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans.

Klay-->You know what I mean, you bubble-headed noise-maker.
jazzmans is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:29 PM   #13
sagebrushocean
Harris's hawker

Oddometer: 179
I commute 36 miles round trip at least 5 days a week 10 months of the year, plus running around on the weekends. I don't commute on my bike if the roads are icy, but we don't get too many frozen-road days in Seattle. Door-to-door commute time is shorter with the DR than any other form of transportation I've tried. Emergency shortcuts over curbs, across railroad tracks, or through traffic jams are a major bonus of bike commuting, as is the ability to use the HOV lanes.

I don't use any heated gear, just Aerostich Darien jacket and pants with a layer or two underneath. I'm comfortable even in the usual crappy PNW weather, but my commute is only 25 minutes (no interstate on most days), so I can't get TOO cold.

The other 2 months I spend in the Oregon Outback -- lots of daily riding there on the CRF230M.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:20 PM   #14
ParrotheadJeff

Oddometer: n/a
I rarely ever touch my HHR

My round trip commute to work is four miles, but it's more fun to ride than drive What other people consider "bad" weather I consider a welcome bit of variety and I look forward to a bit of wind, rain, cold, heat, etc

I've almost been on the bike for a year now and I've almost got 10,000 miles added to the odometer. It only had 8,400 miles on it when I got my hands on it
Old 05-05-2012, 11:04 PM   #15
wmax351
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 743
I rode my bike daily when I had to commute to school, and worked at home depot. Marin county during most of the year is rideable. If it is raining (or going to) I won't ride. That's why I have a car.
wmax351 is offline   Reply With Quote