Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2012, 11:57 PM   #1471
boy60
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 698
Never bothered with the fuel switch, the fuel in Aust. isnt as bad as 3rd world countries.
boy60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 01:16 AM   #1472
Jassky
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Hi Choccoloco and everyone else too.
My first time post, after lots of lurking on this great forum. I might be able to help here, so figured Id finally stick my head up. G'day

Ive got a 2010 Adv and put a throttle cam on it soon after purchase. After reading lots of bad things about the 990s fuelling, and not being able to get a test ride to find out for myself, Id pretty much written off the KTM as an option. Luckily, I got a test ride and, maybe because I was expecting the bike to rip and snort and buck me over the bars, I came away amazed how manageable it turned out to be. I got a throttle cam kit because there was some surging around town (3-4k rpm), but also to ease me into getting used to all that horsepower off road. I got a G2 kit which came with the 100, 300 and 400 cams. I installed the 300, and found it did make things better.

After 14,000km, I am now well used to the bike and just love it to bits. Maybe it still surges, I just dont notice anymore. I use the clutch to smooth out power delivery at slower speeds, and this has become second nature. Im actually thinking of swapping back to the stock cam, though might try out a 45t rear sprocket first.

Just recently I swapped out the exhausts for a set of Wings and while there are lots of benefits, I did not noticed any difference to the fuelling. FWIW, Ive never felt the need to try any of the emissions mods youve probably read about to smooth things out. Id recommend you install a throttle tamer and spend some time on the bike before getting the serious spanners out.

Anyway, Im in Canberra and your welcome to have a go on my bike to see for yourself.

Cheers,

Jeremy
Jassky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 01:32 AM   #1473
Phil_Fong
Labelled Extremist

Oddometer: 12,348
Hey Jeremy,

did you remove the secondary butterflies from the throttle bodies or are they still in there ?

Phil_Fong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 01:39 AM   #1474
2upAussie990
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
Filled my 990 today, I was just above empty, is it usual to get 8L in the right tank but only 6 in the left side.
2upAussie990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 01:48 AM   #1475
Phil_Fong
Labelled Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2upAussie990 View Post
Filled my 990 today, I was just above empty, is it usual to get 8L in the right tank but only 6 in the left side.

8 + 6 = 14

Its supposed to be 19.5 empty to full. Yeah, right side flows to left I think, thats why more seems to go in the right side. Fuel pump is on the left side.

was the reserve light on ?

Old 05-06-2012, 01:56 AM   #1476
ozbikedude
so little time

Oddometer: 1,965
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_Fong View Post
8 + 6 = 14

Its supposed to be 19.5 empty to full. Yeah, right side flows to left I think, thats why more seems to go in the right side. Fuel pump is on the left side.

i can get 46 litres in mine now
ozbikedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 02:02 AM   #1477
2upAussie990
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
Quote:
8 + 6 = 14

Fuel light came on, when riding home Friday, had 7km's to then get home, gave it a quick splash today from jerry can, tops 600-800ml per tank to get back to town which is 12km's, but would have done prolly 20k's by the time I went to servo and light was not back on.
I thought it should have taken more than 14L, but was more surprised about the 2L's extra in the right side.
Just did some farkling this arvo so will see if there is any improvement in mileage and see what next tank fill up holds.
2upAussie990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 02:02 AM   #1478
Phil_Fong
Labelled Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozbikedude View Post
i can get 46 litres in mine now

Nioce.

but how long does it take to do an oil change ?

I bought a 12 litre fuel bladder, roll-up.

Old 05-06-2012, 02:07 AM   #1479
ozbikedude
so little time

Oddometer: 1,965
Quote:
Nioce.

but how long does it take to do an oil change ?

I bought a 12 litre fuel bladder, roll-up.
mmmh hadnt thought of that ,will let you know later in the week,gunna pull it apart and change plugs ,oil and filter ,air filter etc ,heading for finke in june i reckon for a look around for a few days or so
hoping to get around the 600km range out of the tank,it seems to be a bit thirster than other 950s for some reason,i dont think i am extra hard on the throttle??
ozbikedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 02:13 AM   #1480
Phil_Fong
Labelled Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2upAussie990 View Post
Fuel light came on, when riding home Friday, had 7km's to then get home, gave it a quick splash today from jerry can, tops 600-800ml per tank to get back to town which is 12km's, but would have done prolly 20k's by the time I went to servo and light was not back on.
I thought it should have taken more than 14L, but was more surprised about the 2L's extra in the right side.
Just did some farkling this arvo so will see if there is any improvement in mileage and see what next tank fill up holds.

I'm pretty sure reserve is 4 litres, Pbee reckons it could be 3. But judging by your quotes on litres and klms it could be 5.

Old 05-06-2012, 02:22 AM   #1481
Phil_Fong
Labelled Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozbikedude View Post
mmmh hadnt thought of that ,will let you know later in the week,gunna pull it apart and change plugs ,oil and filter ,air filter etc ,heading for finke in june i reckon for a look around for a few days or so
hoping to get around the 600km range out of the tank,it seems to be a bit thirster than other 950s for some reason,i dont think i am extra hard on the throttle??
I likes Pbee's nomad tank idea. He smart fella.

Old 05-06-2012, 02:38 AM   #1482
Jdeks
Departed

Oddometer: 933
Folks,

2 issues:

Just switched to a 2-to-1 midpipe, and did the Jingellic trip. Seems to be a bit sluggish now at sub-6krpm, and upon getting home this arvo, noticed that if I give it a sudden hard rev, it blows slightly dirty exhaust and sometimes give a bit of a bang and some flame.Considering my last dyno tune was up in Canberra with two pipes, and I'm now at sea level with one, I suspect I'm running rich. Agree/disagree?

Second issue is the rear brake - it cant seem to decide if it's bled or not. Half the way up, and most of the way back, it would randomly alternate between giving immediate, firm resistance in the first cm of travel, to needing about an inch of travel between getting firm and having some effect. I've had the rear brake Tech Bulletin carried out ages ago, or so my dealer said at the time....I've bled the thing thoroughly about two weeks ago, no visible seepage showing....what gives?

EDIT: Upon further inspection, the 2 week old brake fluid is murky/muddy, and the rubber membrane in the reservoir looks nothing like the one in the TSB.

Cheers!

Jdeks screwed with this post 05-06-2012 at 02:56 AM
Jdeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:03 AM   #1483
Oldfatbeerman
Enroute to a PUB

Oddometer: 3,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdeks View Post
Folks,

2 issues:

Just switched to a 2-to-1 midpipe, and did the Jingellic trip. Seems to be a bit sluggish now at sub-5krpm, and upon getting home this arvo, noticed that if I give it a sudden hard rev, it blows slightly dirty exhaust and sometimes give a bit of a bang and some flame.Considering my last dyno tune was up in Canberra with two pipes, and I'm now at sea level with one, I suspect I'm running rich. Agree/disagree?

Second issue is the rear brake - it cant seem to decide if it's bled or not. Half the way up, and most of the way back, it would randomly alternate between giving immediate, firm resistance in the first cm of travel, to needing about an inch of travel between getting firm and having some effect. I've had the rear brake Tech Bulletin carried out ages ago, or so my dealer said at the time....I've bled the thing thoroughly about two weeks ago, no visible seepage showing....what gives?

Cheers!
On the rear brake issue , pull out the pins that the pads float in and out on and check that there is no 'notches' in them that stop the pads moving easily , this happened on my 640 , I have not seen it on other bikes but it's easy and quick to check .

Old 05-06-2012, 03:24 AM   #1484
choccoloco
Cabin Fever....

Oddometer: 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jassky View Post
Hi Choccoloco and everyone else too. I got a throttle cam kit because there was some surging around town (3-4k rpm), but also to ease me into getting used to all that horsepower off road. I got a G2 kit which came with the 100, 300 and 400 cams. I installed the 300, and found it did make things better.
Im in Canberra and your welcome to have a go on my bike to see for yourself.
Cheers,
Jeremy
Thanks Jeremy and welcome, My G2 should arrive this week. I've adjusted my riding style to avoid the sweet surging spots, if the G2 kit settles it down a bit I'll be happy with that.

Quote:
8 + 6 = 14

I refueled today, my light came on and within 3km's of the Fuel trip meter I put in 14.6 litres for 215kms travelled, However, as I pulled up to the pump the fuel light went out....

I have noticed I'm finding it difficult to slow my wrist action, it just wants to turn....

Finally had a bit of a ride today, just took an extended detour to visit my brother via whatever dirt roads I could find. I certainly need to get used to the rear steering action..... it does it so easy compared to all my previous bikes.... absolutely love it and just want more.

What's this bike doing to me.....
choccoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:37 AM   #1485
BIGCOD
the desert ninja

Oddometer: 156
Throttle cam

I put the G2 400 throttle cam and it makes a nice difference, makes it a bit more ridable in lower revs and is def a good mod.

As for fuel consuption these bikes are thirsty!!!!!!! I get 250kms to dead empty out of a tank during normal riding. The reserve is 4l and you will get about 50km once the light comes on.

I use a plastic 12l bladder as reserve and fill it to 11l which gives me 400km total distance under nomal riding conditions 50road/50dirt. Thats the best I can get lol.....
BIGCOD is offline   Reply With Quote