Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2012, 09:47 PM   #46
Watercat
. . . gravity sucks

Oddometer: 1,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
Watercat, I haven't seen the program you refer to but I am sure it was meant to evoke some kind of emotional response or some drama. Otherwise who would watch it? I have worked in several offices full of corporate expats and it generally is not that interesting, just people working long hours.

What do you expect these people to do if they are offerered good pay/benefits to work abroad, turn them down for less pay? The only reason international companies send Expats anywhere is because they cant find the local skill set they need to get the job done. The only reason companies have to increase pay/benefits for Expats is to entice their own employees to take these positions. We may have adventurous spirits, but there is a much longer line of people wanting to come into the US/Canada than people wanting to leave and those people drive the labor market.

Don't tell me you wouldn't have taken better pay/benefits to do your work abroad if it were offered to you? Getting sick sounds like hater talk.
SR & A-Wrangler,

Not at all . . . . . . . Hater talk, naaa, let's keep it positive . . . . . .

I've worked 7 days x 12 hours in Alaska for a few summer seasons on boats and don't care to return to it - tho the $$$ was good.

Korean teaching contract in Korea(first job) was 6 days/week . . . . . . . Sucked and wasn't worth it . . . . .

Just sayiin' the risk factor is greater when goin' it alone . . . . . . . . YMMV

" . . . discovery channel has been shit for over a decade . . . this (ADVrider) is actually good." - OldAndBusted

Expect the unexpected! - Skunked & DfunkD

2006 Husky TE 610
2005 Big Strom
2010 THRUXTON

Watercat screwed with this post 05-04-2012 at 10:11 PM
Watercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:32 AM   #47
SR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watercat View Post
SR & A-Wrangler,

Not at all . . . . . . . Hater talk, naaa, let's keep it positive . . . . . .

I've worked 7 days x 12 hours in Alaska for a few summer seasons on boats and don't care to return to it - tho the $$$ was good.

Korean teaching contract in Korea(first job) was 6 days/week . . . . . . . Sucked and wasn't worth it . . . . .

Just sayiin' the risk factor is greater when goin' it alone . . . . . . . . YMMV

I don't want to argue because I don't think that was the intent of the OP for this thread. But on your original post, you sounded kind of bitter that other Expats we being treated better than you were. That's all.

It is interesting to see how Expats relate to one another. There aren't that many Expats where I live. Most of them are Japanese or Korean and work in auto parts manufacturing. There are at least 10 different Chinese restaurants in town and each one appears to be run by a different family of Chinese people. I rarely see them outside of the restaurant and I have to wonder what their Expat experience must be like? There are a few Gringo teachers at the American School and a Gringo who runs an English school. Most of the guys in mining come in and out on a rotational basis and are usually constantly working when they are here.

You might think that Gringo Expats would get along and spend time together because of common language, culture etc. but it doesn't seem to happen that way. Everyone seems to do their own thing, at least here. Maybe in the retirement communities it's different? Is it that way everywhere?

SR screwed with this post 05-05-2012 at 11:23 AM
SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:29 PM   #48
Watercat
. . . gravity sucks

Oddometer: 1,530
Yes, I used to hang out with other language teachers - Canadian, American, British, Spanish, French, Kiwi, Peruvian, Australian, who all were working independent of corporate contracts.

I really miss living overseas now. Didn't meet many retirees, except one American who chose to be a teacher for a few semesters and then opened his own restaurant in semi- retirement.

" . . . discovery channel has been shit for over a decade . . . this (ADVrider) is actually good." - OldAndBusted

Expect the unexpected! - Skunked & DfunkD

2006 Husky TE 610
2005 Big Strom
2010 THRUXTON
Watercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:21 AM   #49
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,123
Quote:
Is it that way everywhere?
Who knows?
I haven't even grown up yet, let alone contemplate retirement! My daughter gave me a quiz to measure my mental age the other night, it was half my chronological age. She looked shocked, I said I wanted to do it again because I scored too high.
I rarely associate with ex-pats, very rarely, it is usually because most of them think they have all the answers to the questions that nobody has asked them and far too many of them are far too negative.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 05:33 AM   #50
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,589
Although a US citizen, I feel more like an expat when I go back to visit in the US than when I am in Mexico.
Kiko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 11:09 AM   #51
karmatourer
STD free

Oddometer: 2,275
Since I retired,3 stints in Mexico and 1 in Honduras (and 15 months in Thailand).Back in US for a year so far.I would do Mexico again but only in Puerto Penasco/Rocky Point.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:39 AM   #52
El Jefe de Caribe
The Boy Ain't Right

Oddometer: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiko View Post
Although a US citizen, I feel more like an expat when I go back to visit in the US than when I am in Mexico.
I've lived in the Dominican Republic for over 4 years now. I guess I've gotten used to living here, because when I go back to the states I see things so clean and regimented I feel like an automaton.

It takes me 30 minutes of driving before I'm obeying every traffic law again.

After a few curious days eating foods from "home" I long for roast chicken from a roadside stand and some rice and beans.

I'm reminded by the song by Five Man Electric Band, "Signs..."

Oh, and people seem so FAT and unhappy.

El Jefe de Caribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:57 AM   #53
El Jefe de Caribe
The Boy Ain't Right

Oddometer: 573
Quote:
You might think that Gringo Expats would get along and spend time together because of common language, culture etc. but it doesn't seem to happen that way. Everyone seems to do their own thing, at least here. Maybe in the retirement communities it's different? Is it that way everywhere?
I can speak for the Dominican Republic.

One thing for sure: you cannot run away from who and what you are. Moving to a completely new environment doesn't change the essence of who you are.

If you were unhappy at home, you'll still be unhappy. If you were lazy at home, you'll still be lazy. If you were a drunken womanizer, it'll get worse. Etc.

I've also found sharing a common language is a poor reason to hang around each other. Comforting, for sure, like a dish from a favorite restaurant at home: temporarily satisfying, but then it's over.

I have found that many expats here are some of the lowest form of lying scum. They come here and build a false persona of who and what they are, a make believe CV. Many if not most are not to be trusted.

My biggest mistake here is befriending a European Expat who proceeded to try using me and my wife, and ultimately trying to steal from us. Never confuse my calm, friendly demeanor for being a weak sucker.

Additionally, many expats are bored and bitter. All they do all day long is drink in the expat bars and plan their next bar hopping spree. Where they drink with other expats and hookers with their pimp boyfriends.

One bit of advice: if you plan an expat escape, plan on DOING something productive with your time, and make an effort to learn the language and adopt most of the culture (sorry, I tried boiled platanos; still taste like beige-gray Crayolas to me...but I tried, really tried). That way you'll be using your brain and becoming part of the scene.

El Jefe de Caribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 04:12 PM   #54
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,352
SR has gone fully native.
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 06:47 PM   #55
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,578
Hey, Jimmex, pass the mole, please.
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 06:56 PM   #56
SR
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
SR has gone fully native.
Almost! I don't let the kids speak Spanish in the house and I refuse to drink Mexican beer! Pinche Gringo!!.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:12 AM   #57
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark883 View Post
Hey, Jimmex, pass the mole, please.
There will be mole on our next trip. You've got to do the P. Escondido-Oaxaca-Veracruz hwy 175. Huachinango-Mole-Camarones.
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 10:01 AM   #58
SR
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
there will be mole on our next trip. You've got to do the p. Escondido-oaxaca-veracruz hwy 175. Huachinango-mole-camarones.
Vamos!!

SR screwed with this post 06-03-2012 at 01:05 PM
Old 06-03-2012, 10:32 AM   #59
RebelYell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 479
Thanks for the heads up and advice el jefe.I am kind of planning if I ever lose my township job where I live ,I will sell parents house and bail.I went to the DR back in 05 to help build achurch w my church and several otherchurches from the states in Mocha/la vega.The people seem so happy,ya give the kids a football etc and they are beaming,the damn kids here ya could buy em th ps 3 w 20 games and they still arent happy.Buddy and I while we were in Mexico were both talking about blending in and not being a loud mouth pompous American. I think no matter where you are there are bad people and bad sections of town.

RebelYell screwed with this post 06-03-2012 at 10:43 AM
RebelYell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:39 PM   #60
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
I while we were in Mexico were both talking about blending in and not being a loud mouth pompous American.
Actually, it is not an "American" thing. I've seen loud mouths from every corner of the world and you could put any nationality in there. There is no shortage of loud mouth and pompous locals, too. LOL!
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote