ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2012, 07:12 AM   #8101
NoVa Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
No worries -- my aerie tag was an extension of the boundary theme i've used in my last few tags.

I'm sure to figure a few more. . ..
NoVa Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:49 AM   #8102
geoff2k
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
The Fog was pea-soup thick as I started my descent down the gravel road. It was like something out of a Tim Burton movie.

Ali was hiding out where Eagle Rock Lane and Lost Boys Lane Meet near Mount Weather.

Tag with bike and a happy Ali:

geoff2k screwed with this post 05-06-2012 at 09:12 AM Reason: Update with pics
geoff2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:27 AM   #8103
geoff2k
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Ali can now be found here:

There is an entrance gate near the base of the leftmost tower:

Where Ali is hidden under a rock and a branch:

There is a nearby establishment which serves Vietnamese Rice Noodle Soup to Kings and Queens before they march off to to the FIELDS to do BATTLE.
geoff2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 12:47 PM   #8104
NoVa Rider
Beastly Adventurer

G2K -- great grab, great pics and neat tag clues! XDrag -- painting the blue line with that tag. Very well done. to you both.

Grab: Battlefield Parkway Northeast / Fort Evans Road Northeast / State Route 773, Leesburg, Virginia

The exquisite clue that made it all possible:

Tag to follow.

NoVa Rider screwed with this post 05-06-2012 at 03:28 PM
Old 05-06-2012, 12:54 PM   #8105
NoVa Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Tag:

Ali is on the other side:

Tucked respectfully beneath the wreath:

This is not where you think it will be.

The clue:

If the Jennifer Jason star from Fast Times at Ridgemont High were to meet the hometown of Martha Stewart, you'd be very close to finding Ali. Then look for the international airline that dissolved in 1991, after about a 64 year successful run.

Although you may never have noticed, you will find Ali there.

Happy Tagging!
Old 05-06-2012, 02:42 PM   #8106
TH
There and Here

Oddometer: 912
Bruced, then a GRAB!

MicroCenter strip mall on Nutley, just south of 66.

Pics, details and tag to follow.
NOVA Tag-o-Rama Map
TH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:00 PM   #8107
schnutzy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by thfraser View Post
Bruced, then a GRAB!

nice grab thf. i figured if no one got em by noon tomorrow, id have a chance to get out there

2012 Suzuki TU250x
schnutzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:15 PM   #8108
NoVa Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thfraser View Post
Bruced, then a GRAB!

Sorry for the

for the grab!!! (Thompson Family Cemetery, Nutley/Lee Hwy, Pan Am Shopping Center, Merrifield, Va)

From the W. Post: That relatively small parcel - near a Starbucks and a Safeway and across from a Citgo - has been the subject of some of the biggest battles over road improvements in Fairfax. But before we get to them, accompany Answer Man back to 1863 and another battle: Gettysburg.
It was there that a Confederate soldier from Fairfax named Armistead T. Thompson had the misfortune of being captured. He spent 17 months at the Union prison camp at Point Lookout, Md., before contracting typhoid and dying there, one of nearly 4,000 prisoners who perished at the abysmal facility. Thompson was buried on the campgrounds. In the 1880s, his father, Lawson Turner Thompson, went to Point Lookout and collected the remains for burial in the family graveyard.
We can't say for sure when the first body went into the ground at the Thompson family cemetery. It might have been a veteran of the War of 1812 named Ethan Allen (not that Ethan Allen). What's clear is that when Lawson Turner Thompson died in 1886, his will left a half-acre of land to his heirs for use as a cemetery.
After that, it's a familiar story: What had been rural slowly became anything but. Various members of the Thompson clan sold bits of their land to developers. In the 1920s and 1930s, Lee Highway was widened, nibbling away at the cemetery. In 1973, construction started on the Pan Am Shopping Center. Developers wanted to disinter all the remains and move them to another cemetery to make way for the parking lot.

The Thompsons fought back, persuading a judge to block the shopping center's action. Twice since then, the Virginia Department of Transportation has wanted to encroach on the graveyard to add lanes to Lee Highway. In 1979, 63-year-old Alfred Thompson was arrested after sitting in a lawn chair in the cemetery to block a bulldozer. He vowed to be buried there when his time came.
In 1989, VDOT threatened again. "Now, what is more important?" the Rev. Ronald Clark asked at a family protest that year at the graveyard. "Getting to the shopping center or considering where we will be when we, too, have gone the way of the Earth?"
After determining that it could not be sure that a set of plans prepared in 1937 were accurate, VDOT backed off.
No one knows for sure how many bodies are buried there. Sources mention anywhere from nine to 70. Today, there are only two headstones visible, one for three members of a branch of the family known as the Tobins, the other for Armistead, the Civil War veteran. Other graves might have been marked with simple fieldstones that were taken by vandals or used to fill depressions in the road.
The last recorded burial was in July 1918. That means the lawn chair-sitting, bulldozer-defying Alfred Thompson must be buried somewhere else, right? Nope. He isn't buried anywhere. He is 95 years old and living in Falls Church.
"I did want to be buried there," Alfred told Answer Man. But he changed his mind. "I just thought it would be kind of lonesome down there." Most of Alfred's contemporaries are buried at Fairfax City Cemetery. That's where Audrey, his wife of 68 years, was buried just last year. And that's where he'll go.
Alfred said he knows some might wonder why his family has gone to so much trouble over a bunch of dead relatives, but he likes the result. "What it is is a little green oasis floating in a sea of asphalt," Alfred says of the graveyard in a shopping center.

NoVa Rider screwed with this post 05-06-2012 at 03:29 PM
Old 05-06-2012, 04:05 PM   #8109
TH
There and Here

NovaRider, thanks for that right up! Ali and I went for a short ride and
took some tag photos. But I have to get home to upload them. Should be soon as I'm almost home.
NOVA Tag-o-Rama Map

TH screwed with this post 05-07-2012 at 04:48 AM
Old 05-06-2012, 06:14 PM   #8110
TH
There and Here

Bruced, Grab and Tag

I reviewed, and reviewed, and reviewed the clues that were provided to find Ali. It was tough. I did google and bing searches and couldn’t nail down where Ali was. Eventually, i just looked for Vietnamese restaurants and eventually found one that was near two water towers. It was a challenge, but I was determined to not give up.

So, off I went on my merry way, after spending about 40 minutes looking for Ali. Only to be BRUCED!

The scene of the crime.

Looked under the twig and the rock, NO ALI!

I had been BRUCED!! So I got my my phone and called my wife. “Honey, I was Bruced! Can you get on the internet and see if Ali has been Tagged?” She did so, as my phone was working the best at that moment.

She responded and said, “Ali has been tagged.” and she quickly figured out the clue and told me where to go.

After a few misadventures, I finally found Ali!

I saw Ali under the wreath and said “Ali, I’m here”, and with that Ali promptly called out from under the wreath.

Ali and I then walked back to the bike and took the obligatory photo.

Ali and wanted a little pick me up, damn alligator keeps drinking my coffee!

I parked next to a Harley when I noticed something interesting about the bike’s brake handle....

Well, I’ll be darned, he had Barbie heads on both his brake and clutch levers. Ali wanted to take a closer look.

After we finished our coffee. BTW, Ali is a pig when it comes to coffee, I think I only got two sips before it was completely consumed by Ali. It was horror, I tell you, Horror.

It was then that I realized that I had a perfect spot for Ali, a place where every a Saturday evening a horror is played out. I always find it interesting that this horror has been around for years and has a faithful following. Here is something I found out about this horror:

“Again we offer this amazing experience EVERY Saturday night at midnight, that's 12 am for those that just plain cant get it through their heads.... Tickets are only $5 and all props needed to properly enjoy the experience are offered in the theater for a measly $1. So come on over and enjoy the hilarity and the sexiness that is _____ Horror."

So Ali and I checked out the scene of the Horror. Right out the door from the establishment that presents the Horror, we found a brick wall. It was a perfect place to place for Ali to wait for the show to start.

From the bike to the door of the place that harbors the Horror every Saturday night.

View from the back of the bike.

View from the side of the bike.

View from the front of the bike.

Here is where Ali is hiding at. See Ali?

Ali is behind the two twigs, covered under a few leaves.

One last photo.

One last clue, there is a university darned close to this place.

Happy Tagging!!
NOVA Tag-o-Rama Map

TH screwed with this post 05-06-2012 at 06:22 PM
Old 05-07-2012, 10:20 AM   #8111
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,836
Grab; University Mall, Intersection of Ox and Braddock Roads, Fairfax VA.

Grab 'n' new tag images soon.
XDragRacer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:23 AM   #8112
TH
There and Here

Excellent!
NOVA Tag-o-Rama Map
Old 05-07-2012, 11:14 AM   #8113
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Grab; University Mall, Intersection of Ox and Braddock Roads, Fairfax, VA:

(Following, alternative image:)

XDragRacer screwed with this post 05-08-2012 at 08:26 AM
Old 05-07-2012, 01:12 PM   #8114
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDragRacer View Post
Hey XDR, who is the guy inside the movie theater taking your photo?

Funny, it's been close to ten years since I have been in that shopping center but recognized the place in the first tag photo.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:52 PM   #8115
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
Hey XDR, who is the guy inside the movie theater taking your photo?

The pesky paparazzi simply WON'T leave me alone, bwalsh!

"Some friends are flying in," said Ali; "Please place me near the airport!"

I asked, "DCA or IAD?"

"Neither; rather, RHD," said Ali.

"You mean . . . ," I uttered.

Ali exclaimed, "Yes!"

Now, Ali insisted I use this image from a legitimate photographer (James Hawkins):

http://www.publicdomainpictures.net/...=dogwood-bloom

XDragRacer screwed with this post 05-08-2012 at 03:40 PM