Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2012, 06:24 PM   #16
seraph
asshole on a scooter

Oddometer: 293
Guys - this thread is seven years old

So your advice for the original poster is a bit ... late

acidjazz bumped the thread to ask about registering 2-stroke Stellas in California, as they were never sold there (since they couldn't pass CARB). As far as I know you're allowed to register a not-sold-in-CA vehicle once they're, what, 3 years old? So I'm not sure why the Stella would be any different.

And Ken OBSC, the Stella followed the same path as Bajaj. Both Bajaj and LML started making Vespas in partnership with Piaggio, and when Piaggio pulled the plug they kept running. Bajaj just happened a few decades earlier.
seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:32 PM   #17
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,822
The Stella (sold in other countries as the LML Star) also used to be a real Vespa. Vespa had a deal with LML to make scooters for them, the first ones were built with original Vespa tooling. Eventually the deal fell apart, as did the tooling. LML built new tooling, identical to the old, and started building them again, under their own name. They actually made a few improvements, like making the body out of heavier metal. Any part that fits a P series Vespa also fits a Stella/Star, even the recessed Piaggio emblems on the horncast. LML copied every last detail. You might be surprised just how many vintage Vespas are out there with LML engines in them.

As for the Bajaj, I'm not entirely sure about those. They were never built by LML, and there were never any 4 stroke P series Vespas. But they are so close to Vespa style and construction there has to be a Vespa connection somewhere.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:37 PM   #18
seraph
asshole on a scooter

Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
The Stella (sold in other countries as the LML Star) also used to be a real Vespa. Vespa had a deal with LML to make scooters for them, the first ones were built with original Vespa tooling. Eventually the deal fell apart, as did the tooling. LML built new tooling, identical to the old, and started building them again, under their own name. They actually made a few improvements, like making the body out of heavier metal. Any part that fits a P series Vespa also fits a Stella/Star, even the recessed Piaggio emblems on the horncast. LML copied every last detail. You might be surprised just how many vintage Vespas are out there with LML engines in them.

As for the Bajaj, I'm not entirely sure about those. They were never built by LML, and there were never any 4 stroke P series Vespas. But they are so close to Vespa style and construction there has to be a Vespa connection somewhere.
Bajaj had the same deal as LML going back into the '60s. A friend of mine has a '66 Bajaj which is an identical copy to a Vespa VBB. Do some Google searching for Bajaj Priya (their name of the VBB copy) and the early Bajaj Chetak - it was a Vespa Sprint, I think.

Coincidentally, PGO, the Taiwanese scooter manufacturer responsible for Genuine's lineup (minus the Stella), also used to make P-series Vespas on contract.
seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:38 PM   #19
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraph View Post
Guys - this thread is seven years old

So your advice for the original poster is a bit ... late

acidjazz bumped the thread to ask about registering 2-stroke Stellas in California, as they were never sold there (since they couldn't pass CARB). As far as I know you're allowed to register a not-sold-in-CA vehicle once they're, what, 3 years old? So I'm not sure why the Stella would be any different.

And Ken OBSC, the Stella followed the same path as Bajaj. Both Bajaj and LML started making Vespas in partnership with Piaggio, and when Piaggio pulled the plug they kept running. Bajaj just happened a few decades earlier.
It would be nice if you could register a 2 stroke Stella in CA after it was 3 years old. But I wonder if the owner has to have owned it for 3 years? Otherwise anyone could buy a 3 year old 2 stroke anywhere and register it in CA. Mine is now 3 years old.
1980 Puch moped
Old 01-21-2014, 03:22 AM   #20
FizzyRascal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
My (UK) LML . . .

FizzyRascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:27 AM   #21
Trucker jay
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Stella with a 125 cvt are on the boat over now I think.
Trucker jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:18 PM   #22
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Yes, the speedometer on a Stella does say "Genuine Scooter Company" on it. Don't know if a vintage Vespa speedometer would fit or not, but the VIN would still identify it. I have no inclination to try and pass my Stella off as a Vespa, though I did debadge it. I plan to badge it as an LML Star, which it really is. BUT. As far as I know, you can register a Stella 2T in CA if it is a certain number of years old, or has so many miles on it. '09 was the last year for the 2T Stella in the U.S. My odometer shows just over 10,000 miles. I don't know whether it could be registered in CA or not.

Many will say that the Stella is not even close to the quality of a real vintage Vespa. I have my doubts about that. I have had a top end failure and a stator failure. These things happened on real Vespas as well. It seems like the flimsiest stuff on the Stella are the "modern" changes. My "add on" electric start switch failed right away, literally fell apart. But a real Vespa didn't have one of those. You cannot ride a Stella full throttle for prolonged periods without blowing the engine, but old Vespas were the same way.

If you really want a vintage Vespa, get one. You want be happy with anything else. Either rebuild it (or have it rebuilt) from the ground up with modern parts. Not only will it be a very enjoyable scooter to ride, but you can join the local vintage Vespa crowd. Some consider them snobs, I have found them to be very friendly, even to a Stella rider

I would be afraid of not being able to find parts for the 4T Stella, and wouldn't even consider a CVT Stella. Now to me that really is fake.
1980 Puch moped
Old 01-21-2014, 06:32 PM   #23
emmettken
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,903
@FizzyRascal
Beautiful!
emmettken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:48 PM   #24
conchscooter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,729
This old thread revived continues to put out incorrect information. Vespa still builds P series Vespas in 125 and 150 cc models. The 200 is no longer built as it is not compliant with pollution reduction requirements.
Spares for p series Vespas are widely available and the German SIP site offers anything you may need.

Check the Piaggio factory site here http://www.it.vespa.com/it/index.htm...delli/Vespa-PX

And SIP here : http://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/main/base/home.aspx

Cheers

IBA#39,523
conchscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:17 PM   #25
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Here is a rather common ad for a vintage Vespa found on Phoenix Craigslist.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/mcy/4259558801.html

1974 Vespa, but with an LML motor, no electric start, no oil injection, and no battery. Wheels changed from 8" to 10". I see a lot of vintage Vespas for sale locally with LML engines.

A local dealer still has a REAL 2005 Vespa PX150, and wants $4000 plus fees for it, and won't budge on the price. Maybe after he has it a couple more years he might go lower.
1980 Puch moped

JerryH screwed with this post 01-21-2014 at 07:28 PM
Old 01-21-2014, 07:25 PM   #26
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,906
Quote:
Here is a rather common ad for a vintage Vespa found on Phoenix Craigslist.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/mcy/4259558801.html

1974 Vespa, but with an LML motor, no electric start, no oil injection, and no battery. Wheels changed from 8" to 10". I see a lot of vintage Vespas for sale locally with LML engines.

A local dealer still has a REAL 2005 Vespa PX150, and wants $400 plus fees for it, and won't budge on the price. Maybe after he has it a couple more years he might go lower.
Maybe someone who wants it bad enough'll step up buy it....
Old 01-21-2014, 07:34 PM   #27
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Just checked the dealers site. He HAS lowered the price. I'll have to drop by and see what the OTD price is.

http://www.victorybmw.com/default.as...p=4&s=Year&d=D
1980 Puch moped
Old 01-21-2014, 08:04 PM   #28
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,906
Quote:
Just checked the dealers site. He HAS lowered the price. I'll have to drop by and see what the OTD price is.

http://www.victorybmw.com/default.as...p=4&s=Year&d=D
You want it, you know you do. Go get it, pay the new price and put yourself AND the dealer out of your misery.

You only go round once in life, and you arent gonna be laying on your death bed gloating about $1000 bucks you saved by not buying a scooter you wanted....

IT AIN'T ALWAYS ABOUT THE MONEY....
Old 01-22-2014, 01:33 AM   #29
FizzyRascal
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmettken View Post
@FizzyRascal
Beautiful!
Ta!
Old 01-22-2014, 01:36 AM   #30
FizzyRascal
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Yes, the speedometer on a Stella does say "Genuine Scooter Company" on it. Don't know if a vintage Vespa speedometer would fit or not, but the VIN would still identify it. I have no inclination to try and pass my Stella off as a Vespa, though I did debadge it. I plan to badge it as an LML Star, which it really is. BUT. As far as I know, you can register a Stella 2T in CA if it is a certain number of years old, or has so many miles on it. '09 was the last year for the 2T Stella in the U.S. My odometer shows just over 10,000 miles. I don't know whether it could be registered in CA or not.

Many will say that the Stella is not even close to the quality of a real vintage Vespa. I have my doubts about that. I have had a top end failure and a stator failure. These things happened on real Vespas as well. It seems like the flimsiest stuff on the Stella are the "modern" changes. My "add on" electric start switch failed right away, literally fell apart. But a real Vespa didn't have one of those. You cannot ride a Stella full throttle for prolonged periods without blowing the engine, but old Vespas were the same way.

If you really want a vintage Vespa, get one. You want be happy with anything else. Either rebuild it (or have it rebuilt) from the ground up with modern parts. Not only will it be a very enjoyable scooter to ride, but you can join the local vintage Vespa crowd. Some consider them snobs, I have found them to be very friendly, even to a Stella rider

I would be afraid of not being able to find parts for the 4T Stella, and wouldn't even consider a CVT Stella. Now to me that really is fake.
I agree.

When I bought my LML, I looked at both - the PX as well - I considered everything very carefully.

For 'bang for buck', I chose the LML.

Regardless of what you (we) ride, just enjoy! To each their own and all that.