Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2011, 07:20 PM   #226
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,565
Just when you thought you had farkeled your bike until there's nothing left to do, along comes awd.

Damn

So when, how much and sign me up

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:00 PM   #227
cjracer OP
AWD please!!

Oddometer: 3,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie264 View Post
Cheers, I understand now. How do you change the %, gear size change on primary? A fav for off-road 4x4 are 100/80 front. Also does the sprag instantly grip when rolling back?
If I win lotto tonight Id love to fly over for a try...truly amazing.
I can change the gearing for the front like changing gearing for the rear.

I made it so I can change the 2nd counter shaft sprocket the gear box gear by pulling the side cover. Pretty easy, I just need to make a few more "TEST" sprockets. I test fit this in prototype stages, but have not make any for actual use yet.

Yes, The sprag catches when you roll backwards, just like it instantly catches when you apply the gas. This does NOT "Clunk" into gear and start to pull. It's seamless and smooth. There is a carbon fiber slipper clutch that lets loose at 55ft/lbs to keep from blowing stuff up. (Small bikes don't make this amount of torque so a lower setting is used, there is no resistance on the smaller bikes when pushing backwards. If this was set lower on the 950, you'd never get the front to hook up and pull in full power take offs - Think 2 wheel roosts.) Works great. As this is set much tighter than the smaller bikes. It offers a bit of resistance when rolling the bike backwards when the AWD is engaged. So it's best to release the AWD first if you need to back peddle or push it back. Again, something you get the hang of fast, it's no different then learning to Shift gears. Having the REKLUSE installed helps to flip the AWD off fast if need be as you have a free hand. This can be handy when in single track that's too tight for a LONG 950 ADV and you need to "Y" turn.

Does that make sense???
cjracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:06 PM   #228
cjracer OP
AWD please!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
Are those special Blue Bling fork & bar clamps I spotted?
Yep,

That was from an earlier build up..... before I even thought about the AWD.

Testing from this spring.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSgRakBCvhI
Old 02-25-2012, 09:54 PM   #229
cjracer OP
AWD please!!

Last build update was here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=214

Digging through old pics to get the next issue started.

This one shows how much more compact the 950 build is than the 250-530 bikes. The chain is almost 1/2 the length. Easier to take off and pack in the tool box when crossing the plains to CO and you don't need it on the freeway.

We're back from the 2012 Indy Dealer show. It was the end of the show and the 950 was itching to see it's family again.... It's been a long time. It think the Military Paint job goes perfect now that Steve Christini has a Military contract for his bikes.

Read more here:http://www.christini.com/news/us-mil...50-motorcycles

Final checks before more big cuts...

So previously I had planned to use as many stock parts as I could. That wasn't going to work b/c the gear would be in my calve the entire time. NO Good.

I had cut out the top diagonal cross frame rail to test fit this.....

Only to find out later I shouldn't have and I'd need to weld it back in.... It's all part of it.

I'd go with a lower mount that would require customs parts made for this bike, more time needed, but better for the overall build.

Now it's time to go for it and hope the ideas in my head can come together with the use of a Sawzall and a Hobart.... Sometime I wish a had a helper in the shop just to take pictures when I'm about to do stupid things like cut frames apart.

Time to cut this out.

To make room for this.

I need to transfer more pics..... back tomorrow.

cjracer screwed with this post 02-25-2012 at 10:08 PM
Old 02-25-2012, 10:04 PM   #230
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 29,849
Did you tell Steve it made me squeal like a little girl after riding it sideways from Mt Tukuhnikivatz down to Moab?

As soon as I can find an SE... I'm going to have you AWD it.
I was 2nd in line for an SE last weekend in Pheonix (only 2900 miles on it) but the first in line bought it
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:23 PM   #231
Pitster
miniac

Oddometer: 346
What does it cost to set up a SE with two wheel drive?

www.nomadrider.com Adventure luggage and gear
Pitster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:36 PM   #232
cjracer OP
AWD please!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
Did you tell Steve it made me squeal like a little girl after riding it sideways from Mt Tukuhnikivatz down to Moab?

As soon as I can find an SE... I'm going to have you AWD it.
I was 2nd in line for an SE last weekend in Pheonix (only 2900 miles on it) but the first in line bought it
I think when I rolled it over to his booth it kind of scared him. It's a big bike compared to his other offerings. But it sure fit in.

I told him everyone that has had the guts to throw a leg over it and twist it as gotten off the bike with a huge grin.

I told him I need a 450DS to test out and get more people to try it.

I think most of the people at the show were really surprised this bike actually was used off road. I had more than a few people come up and tell me "Great bike build, You did a great job making the bike look used and abused." As if this was a "SHOW" bike. I kind of laughed and told them. "It was actually pretty easy, You ride it for 100,000 miles then crash it down a few flights of rock stairs in Moab all in the name of Product testing." That would then get me one of these. They didn't know what to think then. The dirt bike guys got it, the Street bike guys were a bit confused.... It's NO show bike.

Find an SE soon, they keep getting harder to come by. Plus get one good and abused, I'm going to cut it in half anyways and put cool Carbon fiber Fenders on it when I'm done....

I think talking with Steve and showing him the bike in person has shown a bit more light on why I built this and I think the demand is now growing. If I can work with Steve to have some parts tweaked to my specs and make my next builds a bit easier, I could see doing another build of 10 bikes. I'd love to have this ready to start this winter and roll out next summer with a small fleet to compliment the Smaller DS version. I just need to win the lottery.

I so want an AWD 950 SE, so If I'm making one..... why not a few more.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:39 PM   #233
cjracer OP
AWD please!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitster View Post
What does it cost to set up a SE with two wheel drive?
At this time, I have no numbers on what the next batch would run. Too much to figure out at this point in time.

I'll tell you one thing, It will be less than one of those custom Harleys and much more fun.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:53 PM   #234
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,959
Yes good SE's are hard to come by now. A Seattle buddy recently wanted one and searched the whole USA. Finally had to get one from the East coast and almost lost out, but scored. It was a nice one. An AWD SE would be really cool, but I'd volunteer my 990SE for an AWD update.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:20 PM   #235
cjracer OP
AWD please!!

UPDATE - 5/6/12

So, I've got about 30-35,000 miles on the bike now in the last few seasons since this was completed. Over 110,000 miles total.
(I'll get back to more build pics and info when I get some free time)

I'd add some pics here but I'm too lazy to upload them now.

I got back last year from a pretty awesome 17,000 mile camping trip from Alaska to Mexico and it was a great test for the AWD project. About 5,000 miles was offroad. We put it through the paces and I've not had a chance to really dig into it to see how the AWD system help up. Now that I have a 1500 mile DS loop around WI we're putting on for 12 riders, NEXT WEEK, I thought now might be a good time to take care of this. I've spent the last few nights to midnight pulling this apart, cleaning and giving it a good once over.

Here is my review and thoughts.

I've been pretty bad with periodic maintenance per the service schedule, other than greasing the zerk fitting when I can, that's about all I've done.

I don't ride the bike with it engaged all the time, it's used and turned on when needed. For those that are use to a 4WD Truck, you don't drive with it turned on all the time either. That's just unneeded wear and tear on components. I treat this the same way. My guess is I have about 8,-10,000 miles of ENGAGED use on this system so far. How many 450 Dirt bikes out there have 8,000 miles on them? Plus if you figure I have 2x the power and weight, I figure that would be 16,000 Small bike miles.

Remember- this is installed on a 950 CC, 100HP 550 lbs Dual sport bike.

Not a 450 CC, 45HP?, 275 lb bike.

Overall:
I found a few failed bearings that would be easy to replace as needed in the lower drop out sections that attach the wheel to the forks. I let this go longer than I should have. It's so easy to check this and would add an extra 30-60 min when ever you put new tires on the front and have the rim setup off. Mental note for the future.

Gears, pinions, everything else looked great. Very impressed by how this is holding up on a bike it was NEVER designed to be on.

Next on the list is the linear bearing/ drive axle setup. These slide with the drive shaft all the time, no matter if the AWD is engaged or not.

I have NEVER had these apart to service in the last 1.5 yrs and 30,000+ miles. All I have done is hit the zerk fitting with the grease gun before and after every long ride. I took them apart, they look perfect, the drive axle spline that they ride in, PERFECT.

Moving up, The lower triple clamp houses all the drive chains, gears and what not for powering the dual drive shafts. This again, I have NEVER had apart. I was a bit concerned about what I would find inside.

Everything looked GREAT. Everything was still nicely greased, the chain was not rusted. The gears looked NEW. There was some wear on the output shafts where the seals ride. (I'm sure all the Haul Road grime didn't help that.) There is a sealed bearing above this seal. I guess if I was going in water above my headlight often this might be a problem. I found nothing to be of concern.

I had one bearing inside that the rubber grease seal popped off.

Maybe a few runs at 115 MPH Engaged in AWD was a bit high for it????
Maybe it was never seated from the factory, the opposite one was perfect. The both spun free and were full of grease.

The Center pinion gears in the head stock still look great.

To say again I am impressed with this system is an understatement.

I plan to change all the bearings that I can get to just as a preventive service measure. Both drive chains in the triple clamp will go back in, they don't even look stretched. Goes to show how much power this system can take. I would say 75% of the bearings could be regreased and put back in, but what the heck. It's going to be another long season and I don't want to have any issues.

The main drive chain off the engine, I have upgraded to an o-ring chain.
I don't grease or service this one at all. When it starts to get worn or tight feeling I toss it an put a new one on. When I hit the freeways for a 1000 mile ride to Colorado, I pull the chain off - 15 min job - I put it back on when I hit the trails until I head home.

Non-o -ring chain I would get about 800-1000 miles before it was toast.
O-ring chain I can get about 2-2,500 miles. This chain is about $25, so about $1 every 100 miles of use. I have carried up to 3 spare chains on long trips just in case, they pack in the palm of your hand. Now I only carry 2, that's enough for 7,500 miles of AWD use. I have never snapped a chain.

That's it for now, I'll keep adding more updates as I can. I hope to have some pics up soon.

I can't wait the 450 DS to come out, this is going to be a killer setup and so much fun for NEW and Veteran riders alike.

Safe travels,
Old 05-06-2012, 10:32 PM   #236
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer: 2,137
It's an amazing machine, Craig. And you're just as amazing for putting it together.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:55 AM   #237
kamanya
Andrew to most

Oddometer: 1,266
Will there ever be a kit?
Old 05-07-2012, 03:23 AM   #238
Rich2wd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjracer View Post
UPDATE - 5/6/12

The main drive chain off the engine, I have upgraded to an o-ring chain.
I don't grease or service this one at all. When it starts to get worn or tight feeling I toss it an put a new one on. When I hit the freeways for a 1000 mile ride to Colorado, I pull the chain off - 15 min job - I put it back on when I hit the trails until I head home.

Non-o -ring chain I would get about 800-1000 miles before it was toast.
O-ring chain I can get about 2-2,500 miles. This chain is about $25, so about $1 every 100 miles of use. I have carried up to 3 spare chains on long trips just in case, they pack in the palm of your hand. Now I only carry 2, that's enough for 7,500 miles of AWD use. I have never snapped a chain.

Safe travels,
G'day CJ, I have a KTM 300 Christini AWD & love the bike. Can you identify the O-Ring chain for the main drive you're using. Is it a low profile chain?
Cheers Rich
Rich2wd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:00 AM   #239
cjracer OP
AWD please!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamanya View Post
Will there ever be a kit?

Maybe, but it most likely won't be through Christini. And this isn't a bolt on system.

If it does, I'll be sure to add info. Lots of work to make this production ready.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:12 AM   #240
cjracer OP
AWD please!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich too_wheelz View Post
G'day CJ, I have a KTM 300 Christini AWD & love the bike. Can you identify the O-Ring chain for the main drive you're using. Is it a low profile chain?
Cheers Rich
Great lookingg bike Rich, that 300 must be a blast.

The chain I use is the ONLY 420 o-ring chain I have found in the market.

EK 420SRO 132 link. If you need help getting on down under, let me know. I can send you one to try. These are all Clip link chains, but I've never had an issue. This should be good for you to get 2 chains, plus you'll need an extra Master Link.

Not 100% sure it will work on your bike, as I designed my chain housing to have a little more room from the start, knowing I wanted to go this direction. The guys at Christini said they still run and send the bikes out with Non-o-ring chains as the smaller engine would or could notice a HP drain using an O-ring chain. Every little bit helps.

I've run my 950 on the dyno with the front chain on, AWD disengaged. No HP loss was noticed to the rear wheel. Not that I'm concerned, there is plenty there to spin up BOTH wheels at will in the dirt.

Not sure how to embed this???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gj9I2Ma_duM