Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2012, 09:06 AM   #42106
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,074
frame mods ! me me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barron View Post
Just throwing a question out there for a project I'm working on and to try and get some info into one place....

If you had a frame that was bare what would you change? What support(s) would you add? Where do you get them? Any and all recommendations are welcome.

-Barron
me me me!

ok

on the lower rails on each side by the pegs...

fill in the triangle area with flat bar or simply fill it all up.

then reinforce te swingarm bolt area and add a smidge of material there

next

the top shock mount...

you need to beef it up and make a stronger mount

reainforce the subframe duh, but I reall dream of adding an alumium detachable subframe a la crf450x style...easy shock and swingarm maintencence there

lastly

I heard the stem tube sometomes has welds that attract water and stays there, youll notice some some plate like welds on either side of the stem tube to mainframe welds...what needs to be done there is to reweld and fill in that area so no water can acumulate, what happens is moisture is trapped there cause if the high heat from the oil frame tank, it ets so hot that the water thats trapped gets boiled

over time it weakens this area(if you happen to vave the voids on your frame, not all do) and you might develop stress cracks

these mods though would be for something like a BAJA 1000 race!

i dream and dream dont I?

cheers
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:40 AM   #42107
XR650L_Dave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFriendofMissouri View Post
hey everybody,

im about to do daves mods and would like to know what others have changed to improve it. ive read about drilling the slide to different sizes and would like to know what the benefit to that would be. i have a dynojet kit too (not real happy with it), so should i use the dj spring too? i would like the best low to mid power gain and better throttle response. i want to keep the stock exhaust, and upgrade to an aftermarket filter so my next question is what filter are you most happy with? what would offer the best filtration? i ride alot of dirt roads and usually end up behind a horse trailer or something .
also, how big a difference was the power and gas mileage compared to stock? the bike seems a little boggy when trying to get the front off the ground (i dont really have another bike to compare it to so maybe its just me) but can get over 60mpgs when im easy on it. what can i do to improve power along with the mods with out sacrificing mpgs? its a daily commuter to work at about 50 miles round trip.

thanks,
MO.
I would follow the recipe regarding the drill size.

I have at least at some time run the DJ spring with the mods and am not sure it really makes any difference, but if I ever take it back apart I'm going to stick the stocker back in.

You get a decent improvement in throttle response over the DJ kit with the mods but there is still a lag compared to a manual-slide carb.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:46 AM   #42108
Haywood
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by bp_josh View Post
Find the thread in the CA regionals forum titled something like "On-going San Diego Hijinx" or similar. That's where this past ride was organized. There're a few guys who did a great job putting this ride together with some GREAT trails and fire roads and such, very well organized, even custom stickers made for the event. One of the organizers was saying around the campfire that they'd like to do at least one big organized ride per season. There was something like 50 riders and I had a blast.
Here it is:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...764981&page=33

I rode it and had a great time also. Learned some new trails I would not mind hitting again.
Haywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:42 AM   #42109
purpledrake
No Pretensions

Oddometer: 321
Hey, Rob,

Very nice, and thank you for the detailed explanations. This is very useful.

Which of these screens did you choose (there are four different sizes http://www.jcwhitney.com/cruiser-sty.../p2000659.jcwx )?

PD

First, I added a Maier Quick Release Windscreen (JC Whitney)
Old 05-07-2012, 11:50 AM   #42110
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
AND put the right address on it!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
And the CORRECT zip code, dufus...

Hmmm, this sounds very familiar...

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:51 AM   #42111
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpledrake View Post
Hey, Rob,

Very nice, and thank you for the detailed explanations. This is very useful.

Which of these screens did you choose (there are four different sizes?
Clear for rectangle headlight http://www.jcwhitney.com/sport-style...d9307y2004u0j3

I haven't road tested it yet, but so far I like the fit.

RZ Rob
RZRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:15 PM   #42112
xj750guy
on the Baja 7yr plan

Oddometer: 99
Wahoo

Hey all,

Ripped the XRL apart last October.......finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

8" Race Light
New Fork Springs/Shock Spring (fat guy size)
New Brake Pads
Vapor Guage
Heated Grips
Tusk D-Flex Hanguards w/integrated signals
LED rear signals
New chain w/ 14/48 Sprockets
De-smogged
Header wrap

Decided it was time to light the fire for the first time last night..............

Started first try with the 58/160 jets (K&N filter, stock muffler, 2500'), but without choke. Adding choke doesn't seem to make the "difference" it did before (no real change at all), and the bike takes throttle nicely from idle.

Should I try 1 size smaller on the pilot, or just let 'er go the way it is?

Thanks again for all the help everyone.

XJ
Old 05-07-2012, 01:13 PM   #42113
Sub Zero
Ice Breather!

Oddometer: 731
Whats the best off road tire (for riding in the FL sand) that I can put on my XRL? front and back. Don't want to spend more then about 60$ for each tire. I dont care if its DOT legal or not, I want grip!

"Great! What am I supposed to use now?! Harsh language?!?!?"
- Duke Nukem
Sub Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:33 PM   #42114
CHUCK_DEMPSEY
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Baja 1000

I just got back from Baja 2-weeks ago we put on our ride we do down there and we had a great time with everybody.
http://www.chuckdempsey.com/Chuck_De...mpsey_Grey.htm

There's a lot of planning that goes in to racing the Baja 500/1000 so I would hook up with friends or servicees that go down there a lot that know what's going on as far as safety and the Lay of the Land.
CHUCK_DEMPSEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:17 PM   #42115
Stretch67
Mad Scientist

Oddometer: 4,061
Not XRL-related, but XLR-related...

I've been fighting with the dual carbs on my '87 XL250R for about ten years now. I finally called 'Mad Scientist Up!' and fixed it, permanently.

Link to my 'Converting an '87 XL250R to Single Carb' thread here in Thumpers.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788941

I need a drink.
XR400 Index
Stretch67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:46 PM   #42116
One Lung
Mudslinger

Oddometer: 3
Tail Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturnal View Post
'04 and needing a bigger tank, a better seat, and a rack. I think I have the standard carb/airbox mods done but what are daves carb mods?

Hey wheelnut, why is it so clean?
Whats up on that light? Looks strange..
Old 05-08-2012, 06:04 AM   #42117
XR650L
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
XR400 Oil Cooler on XR650L

I eventually installed my XR400 Oil Cooler on the XRL, my kit was made by Mike Howland, The contact details for him can be found on the Webalbum detail. Not sure if I can post it here, if I can let me know and I will amend post.

Now realise that I do not have the tools to bend these pipes myself so I chose the easy way out, I pay a Man that can do the job.

I liked the protected location of the XR400 oil cooler. I also wanted to have an temperature sensor that gives me oil temperature coming out the engine to my Vapor instrument.

This was provided by Mike, the pipes were so exact that I did not even had to bend it at all in order to fit, a truly bolt on system.

I used slightly longer bolts and connected it to the frame by just pressure, no welding at all, One day when I have the bike stripped for powder coating of frame I might weld mounting points for it.

The strangest phenomena occurred -

When I drive single track in 1st gear the 2 readings of my temperatures are almost exactly the same BUT when I drive fast the oil temperature sensor in the oil line reads about 15 to 20C lower than the sensor in the oil tank filler cap.

I did not understand this initially, but has come to the conclusion that the pipe that feeds the oil out the engine to the cooler must cool down rapidly when you are moving fast and thus the sensor reads a lower temperature.

Overall my temperature for given conditions has dropped by about 20C on the reading of my Oil Tank Filler gauge.

Worth every penny to me.

Here are a few pictures, the rest can be viewed in the web album

Line out the engine to the cooler

Temperature sensor in the oil line to the cooler, behind the frame, feeds input to Vapor

Left hand side of Oil Cooler

Right hand side of Oil Cooler

Oil Tank Filler Temperature Sensor

And then just some Eye Candy

Regards

Jaco
Rum is the bad boy of booze. The pirates of the Caribbean weren't drinking vodka. The British navy wasn't run on "amaretto, sodomy and the lash." The smugglers who risked death to bring in illegal alcohol to the thirsty citizens of the U.S. during Prohibition weren't called "spritzer runners."
XR650L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:29 AM   #42118
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

damn

thats exactly what I wanted to do...

cheers
Old 05-08-2012, 06:40 AM   #42119
selkirkswamper
hellbilly

Oddometer: 142
need some input gas leak from breather tube?

Looking for some input, here's the scenario:

2012 XR650L just a little over 240 miles, I've noticed this twice now, I'm seeing some gas leak out of the one tube, not a lot but enough to notice, it seems to happen sporadically. Is this something to worry about? Is this common to the cycle?

Fix myself or bring it to the dealer? (I'd rather try and do it myself....)

I searched the threads but being a new bike seems odd this is happening. No mods done.....yet.

thanks
selkirkswamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:53 AM   #42120
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

you probably have dirty gas and some sediment is plugging up the float valve inside the float bowl...

try tapping the float bowl with the handle of a scredriver while jiggling the bike from side to side...

if that doesnt release the crap inside, then the carb needs a thoruogh MANUAL cleaning

by manual that doesnt mean just spray carb cleaner...

that means taking it apart and cleaning with compressed air and some solvent or whatnot all the passagweays and voids in and out of the carb...

be careful with the rubber bits

also a dash of seafoam on the next tank fulls or so might be enough to "rinse" the dirty fuel and or varnish away

not everybody is a fan of seafoam though...

to each there own

good luck!

try the tapping of the bowl first

cheers

ps.since its so new is it under warranty? take it back and tell them the float level is messed up and leaking out the overflow, if you dont want to do this yourself...then again good mechanics at dealerships is more scarce than anything these days...