Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Latin America
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2012, 01:03 PM   #31
fudgypup
Banned

Oddometer: 2,199
was just there last week. Seems like the final grading process was just north of Gonzaga Bay. Pavement ended maybe 10 miles north of Gonzaga Bay? Something like that.

What's with the random "sidewalks" they pour next to the road and the cliff? Not sure the purpose of a sidewalk if it keeps being interrupted by the rock walls. Oh well.
fudgypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:51 PM   #32
clarkkent14 OP
The Midnight Writer

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudgypup View Post
was just there last week. Seems like the final grading process was just north of Gonzaga Bay. Pavement ended maybe 10 miles north of Gonzaga Bay? Something like that.

What's with the random "sidewalks" they pour next to the road and the cliff? Not sure the purpose of a sidewalk if it keeps being interrupted by the rock walls. Oh well.
How is the dirt road the last 10 miles? I seem to remember it wasn't too bad the last bit. They seem to have paved the worst parts. I'll be in a small car so I hope to make Gonzaga Bay.

My Night Photography Podcast The Night Writerz
clarkkent14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:30 PM   #33
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkkent14 View Post
How is the dirt road the last 10 miles? I seem to remember it wasn't too bad the last bit. They seem to have paved the worst parts. I'll be in a small car so I hope to make Gonzaga Bay.

Aside from a couple of rocky vados, you shouldnt have any issues if you go slow. Since they are in the process of paving the quality of the road where they have not yet graded has deteriorated somewhat wth more large rocks and ruts, but if you go slow, pick your line, and be careful, a small car should be able to make it if the ground clearance isnt too low.

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:09 PM   #34
fudgypup
Banned

Oddometer: 2,199
yeah it's fine for a small car. maybe washboard a bit and rock here and there but very car friendly
fudgypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:08 AM   #35
clarkkent14 OP
The Midnight Writer

That's good news and bad news. It's nice to have a smoother drive, faster time, yet at the same time, the old road is gone, the adventure of getting there is different now. I guess we'll have to blaze new trails and new adventures further into the baja! Hopefully I can make it to Coco's this year, although we'll have to be careful I'm sure

Old 05-01-2012, 08:39 AM   #36
Gregg Wannabe
Just killing time

Oddometer: 2,312
This is sad news

I cringe thinking of all the trucks from Mexicali shortcutting the route to Baja Sur. Imagine all the "jake" braking going on at the Pemex.

"Bad roads bring good people and good roads bring bad people".

Guess the new quiet spot just got much further south.
Gregg Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:58 PM   #37
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Wannabe View Post
I cringe thinking of all the trucks from Mexicali shortcutting the route to Baja Sur. Imagine all the "jake" braking going on at the Pemex.

"Bad roads bring good people and good roads bring bad people".

Guess the new quiet spot just got much further south.
I'm guessing it has been planned as a Toll Road (like TJ to Ensenada). There are huge development plans afoot for that section of coast. Whether or not anything actually happens is up for discussion. But pretty certain a toll road will be part of the plan with or without development.

Coco "wilard" is gonna love that new road! Guess the races won't be going by his place anymore.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:08 AM   #38
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,606
don't believe nothing!!! it is election year so there is a ride to moon for the winner!!! After 2013 we will see what develops but for the time being no toll road is there, I am not saying it is not possible, but it is what it is.

I like the paid road, and also will miss the unpaid one (that I was never on)

Damasovi
Old 05-07-2012, 11:31 AM   #39
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Quote:
Originally Posted by damasovi View Post
don't believe nothing!!! it is election year so there is a ride to moon for the winner!!! After 2013 we will see what develops but for the time being no toll road is there, I am not saying it is not possible, but it is what it is.

I like the paid road, and also will miss the unpaid one (that I was never on)

Damasovi
+1 In addition they would still have to level out numerous deep vados that would high center quite a few big rigs from SF to Puertecitos.

A toll road, or even a big rig friendly road will eventually happen, but is still quite a few years off IMO.

You should hear Coco talk about the road. It will go about 4km west of his place. I've never heard him curse so much.

crashmaster screwed with this post 05-08-2012 at 10:37 AM
Old 09-05-2012, 10:57 AM   #40
Gregg Wannabe
Just killing time

Oddometer: 2,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster View Post
+1 In addition they would still have to level out numerous deep vados that would high center quite a few big rigs from SF to Puertecitos.

A toll road, or even a big rig friendly road will eventually happen, but is still quite a few years off IMO.

You should hear Coco talk about the road. It will go about 4km west of his place. I've never heard him curse so much.
Any updates on the road?
Gregg Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:04 AM   #41
clarkkent14 OP
The Midnight Writer

Thumb May 5th, 2012

Just realizing I never posted pics. May 5th, 2012 - These were taken at 29º 56' 11.67" N 114º 31' 27.21" W

Old 12-03-2012, 02:46 PM   #42
bajarider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 400
Update

Well , the roads it's only 8.6 miles(13.76 km) from Gonzaga and friends says is an easy dirt road.

Cheers
Bajarider

When the U.S. and Canada enter rehab, we can kiss drug cartels goodbye.
bajarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:12 AM   #43
clarkkent14 OP
The Midnight Writer

Quote:
Got an email from Wayno of BB Bait.... posted this on Nomad, but in case anyone here doesn't read Baja Nomad regularly, but is interested in the Hwy. 5 southbound progress...

Hi David! Mike S. and I went from our camp (Cristina) to Alfonsina's Sunday morning for breakfast.

It is 43 miles door to door.

The new pavement is right at the turn in to "El Faro", which is just over the hump from the entrance to Papa Fernandez's. So it's three miles out from Rancho Grande (& Gonzaga's Pemex) now.

We have some fresh photos I will send to you soon, probably tomorrow. Go ahead and post them if you wish.

The breakfast was as good as it gets down there, Shrimp Omelet, Juevos Rancheros, were enjoyed. It was very windy out to sea, but the bay was very calm... Wayno

January 6, 2013:

End of Pavement almost at Papa Fernandez'

Bridge over Arroyo San Luis Alfredo

Quote:
The pavement ends 3 miles NORTH of (before) the Pemex... This is Alfonsina's Pemex and it is located at the driveway to her resort. It is 2 miles from the Pemex to the Alfonsina's Motel/ Restaurant/ Bar, at the end of the road/ runway (look for approaching planes as you drive the last mile to Alfonsina's, parallel to the dozens of beach homes). So, you have a total of 5 unpaved, but 2WD graded dirt miles to the motel. Piece of cake (unless it is a big high tide, at which time the runway goes underwater, and mud or sand may make getting to the end of the road a bit tough).
Source

Old 07-31-2013, 01:46 PM   #44
CaptUglyDan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
Bridge open

The bridge is open and its pretty much paved to Gonzaga now, The entrance to Alphonsina's is gated now too, and is manned with a guard
CaptUglyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:48 PM   #45
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptUglyDan View Post
The bridge is open and its pretty much paved to Gonzaga now, The entrance to Alphonsina's is gated now too, and is manned with a guard
For good reason. They used to just close it at night. Since in the past couple of years there were airplanes that went "missing." Now that the place is much easier to get to, it will see much more traffic/tourism IMO. I miss the old days when it was 50+ miles of tire shredding road to Gonzaga. Kept alot of riff raft scooter trash out.