ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2012, 05:38 PM   #48436
jimjim
Just another FF!

Oddometer: 1,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeridermark View Post
Rode to Waverly tonite! Game on!
Bring it scooter boy, I'm slowly catching up to you.
jimjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:42 PM   #48437
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 14,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by indypup View Post
I think this was Luke's way of poking fun back at all you bicyclists on here since you give him (and me) crap about our videos. ;)
It had nothing to do with pointing fun at bicyclist here. I used to be a bicyclist and know they face many of the same issues we do.
Actually Mark is wrong ,
Quote:
Title 45 of the Ohio Revised Code contains the laws that govern operation of vehicles on Ohio roads.
§ 4511.25. Lanes of travel upon roadways of sufficient width.
(A) Upon all roadways of sufficient width, a vehicle or trackless trolley shall be driven upon the right half of the roadway except as follows:
(1) When overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction, or when making a left turn under the rules governing such movements;
(2) When an obstruction exists making it necessary to drive to the left of the center of the highway; provided, any person so doing shall yield the right of way to all vehicles traveling in the proper direction upon the unobstructed portion of the highway within such distance as to constitute an immediate hazard;
(3) When driving upon a roadway divided into three or more marked lanes for traffic under the rules applicable thereon;
(4) When driving upon a roadway designated and posted with signs for one-way traffic;
(5) When otherwise directed by a police officer or traffic control device.

(B)(1) Upon all roadways any vehicle or trackless trolley proceeding at less than the prevailing and lawful speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing shall be driven in the right-hand lane then available for traffic, and far enough to the right to allow passing by faster vehicles if such passing is safe and reasonable, except under any of the following circumstances:
(a) When overtaking and passing another vehicle or trackless trolley proceeding in the same direction:
(b) When preparing for a left turn;
(c) When the driver must necessarily drive in a lane other than the right-hand lane to continue on the driver's intended route.
(2) Nothing in division (B)(1) of this section requires a driver of a slower vehicle to compromise the driver's safety to allow overtaking by a faster vehicle.

They knew I was back there and were just being road hogs endangering me and themselves for the sake of stubborn pride. There was no reason they should not have adjusted back to single file knowing I was waiting to pass.
I respect their right to be on the road, they need to do the same.
2006 KLR650
2001 YX426 (street Legal)
buildit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:49 PM   #48438
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Quote:
Hey, Luke, you better get your facts straight before you go running you mouth to bicyclists. It IS LEGAL to ride two abreast, you WERE BREAKING THE LAW passing them in the same lane. You had the whole other lane to pass (which is legal), but decided instead to be an A**hat and run your mouth.
Grow up, ya big baby!

Sincerely yours,
Mark
Missed this, see above. Everything I have found shows you are incorrect. Proper etiquette even if for bikes and mopeds traveling below the posted speed to move to the right for others to pass.
This would apply to Harley riders also!
2006 KLR650
Old 05-07-2012, 05:53 PM   #48439
dragoon
I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer: 23,055
Yeah fuck you bikeridermark

daveology rule #143 - never ever pass up a chance to hear a band that has a stand up bass -Mutineer
dragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:55 PM   #48440
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by z@ch View Post
You sure you rode? My bike's fortieth than that from crow on Sat and I already washed it once!
What?

"Dirtier" on auto-correct?
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:59 PM   #48441
SlipChip
Adventure Commuter

Oddometer: 3,151
bidness

Quote:
Originally Posted by sion View Post
jealous...

whatcha doin in Pittsburgh?
Were changing the shape Heavy Metal,

Tungsten that is...

“Discoveries are often made by not following instructions, by going off the main road, by trying the untried.” - Frank Tyger

"Life begins at the end of your comfort zone." - Neale Donald Walsch
SlipChip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:00 PM   #48442
bikeridermark
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,098
§ 4511.55. Operating bicycles and motorcycles on roadway.
(A) Every person operating a bicycle upon a roadway shall ride as near to the right side of the roadway as practicable obeying all traffic rules applicable to vehicles and exercising due care when passing a standing vehicle or one proceeding in the same direction.

(B) Persons riding bicycles or motorcycles upon a roadway shall ride not more than two abreast in a single lane, except on paths or parts of roadways set aside for the exclusive use of bicycles or motorcycles.

(C) This section does not require a person operating a bicycle to ride at the edge of the roadway when it is unreasonable or unsafe to do so. Conditions that may require riding away from the edge of the roadway include when necessary to avoid fixed or moving objects, parked or moving vehicles, surface hazards, or if it otherwise is unsafe or impracticable to do so, including if the lane is too narrow for the bicycle and an overtaking vehicle to travel safely side by side within the lane.
Comment: Section 4511.55(A) is very often misquoted to say that cyclists are required to ride as near as possible to the curb. The new paragraph (C) should help reduce this confusion. There are many conditions where it is much safer to ride near the middle of the lane. It is not practicable (practice-able) to ride on the far right when passing or turning left; or when avoiding objects, parked cars, moving vehicles, pedestrians, animals, surface or other hazards; or when the travel lane is too narrow for a bicycle and another vehicle to pass safely side by side within the lane.
Many motorists are reluctant to cross a lane line when passing a bicycle. A cyclist who "hugs the curb" unintentionally invites motorists to pass with unsafe clearance. Riding near the middle of a narrow lane helps overtaking motorists realize that they must must use the next lane to pass.
The real purpose of this law is to prevent unnecessary delay to faster traffic. Since the law cannot require unsafe operation, the phrase as close as practicable is highly flexible, varying widely according to conditions. Positions well away from the edge of the road can be in compliance. Section 4511.55(B) allows riding two abreast. However, cyclists should avoid unnecessary delay to other traffic. Please be courteous and "single up" when other drivers wish to pass if such passing is safe and reasonable. There is no violation if any of the following apply: (1) If there is no traffic being delayed; (2) If the cyclists are traveling as fast as other traffic; (3) If traffic can reasonably pass by using another lane; (4) If the lane is too narrow or it is otherwise unsafe for passing.
bikeridermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:01 PM   #48443
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
Post 1 of 2:
Iron pony has Zox Dual Sport helmets on close out!!! Tiny ones for $29.99 and normal sizes for $39.99. I desperately need a new street helmet (scorpion Exo 900 transformer) but I couldn't pass up this deal for an off road helmet. Now I can quit beating the tar out of my street helmet out in the woods.
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:02 PM   #48444
bikeridermark
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,098
Now who's incorrect? Left out that little part didn't ya'?

You related to Romney by any chance?

Fact is, they took up one-third of the road and you had to be an *ss about it.
You should buy a Harley, Luke!

bikeridermark screwed with this post 05-07-2012 at 06:09 PM
bikeridermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:02 PM   #48445
dragoon
I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Back to you Luke

daveology rule #143 - never ever pass up a chance to hear a band that has a stand up bass -Mutineer
Old 05-07-2012, 06:04 PM   #48446
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

2 of 2!

Perry state forest ride this Thursday!!! So far Alan, Goreman, and myself are in I believe. Come play in the stinky-ass mud with us!
Old 05-07-2012, 06:05 PM   #48447
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoon View Post
Back to you Luke
Or we could talk about helmets and motorcycling!
Old 05-07-2012, 06:06 PM   #48448
danielst
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
PLEASE keep me in the loop in this regard! I'll be able to manage Tar Hallow trips Monday, Wednesday, and/or Thursday evenings once you get it plated; during the summer if you get off work at 5, we could make it down there with a couple hours of daylight left pretty easy; I get off around 3 or 4 Mondays and Wednesdays.

A more local spot with some bumps/hills/banked curves/obstacles would be exceptional. Preferably legal, but simply out of sight would work for me. My 2 known spots are fun, but they're slightly visible from somewhat busy roads, and I wouldn't feel comfortable hanging out there for any more than 10-15 minutes at a time.
I don't think I've ridden with either of you, but I'd be up for riding in the evenings. I live over the ridge from Tar Hollow, so if either of you are bringing bikes via trailer, you are more than welcome to park here at the house. I also have a 5+ mile single track loop (some parts are A level, but can be skipped), with a cool 1 mile loop over next to Salt Creek that is fun to do laps on. Plus,several of the old township roads that are included in a lot of the Tar Hollow rides are pretty close to the house.
danielst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:07 PM   #48449
dragoon
I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
Or we could talk about helmets and motorcycling!

Old 05-07-2012, 06:08 PM   #48450
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Quote:
§ 4511.55. Operating bicycles and motorcycles on roadway.
(A) Every person operating a bicycle upon a roadway shall ride as near to the right side of the roadway as practicable obeying all traffic rules applicable to vehicles and exercising due care when passing a standing vehicle or one proceeding in the same direction.

(B) Persons riding bicycles or motorcycles upon a roadway shall ride not more than two abreast in a single lane, except on paths or parts of roadways set aside for the exclusive use of bicycles or motorcycles.

(C) This section does not require a person operating a bicycle to ride at the edge of the roadway when it is unreasonable or unsafe to do so. Conditions that may require riding away from the edge of the roadway include when necessary to avoid fixed or moving objects, parked or moving vehicles, surface hazards, or if it otherwise is unsafe or impracticable to do so, including if the lane is too narrow for the bicycle and an overtaking vehicle to travel safely side by side within the lane.
Comment: Section 4511.55(A) is very often misquoted to say that cyclists are required to ride as near as possible to the curb. The new paragraph (C) should help reduce this confusion. There are many conditions where it is much safer to ride near the middle of the lane. It is not practicable (practice-able) to ride on the far right when passing or turning left; or when avoiding objects, parked cars, moving vehicles, pedestrians, animals, surface or other hazards; or when the travel lane is too narrow for a bicycle and another vehicle to pass safely side by side within the lane.
Many motorists are reluctant to cross a lane line when passing a bicycle. A cyclist who "hugs the curb" unintentionally invites motorists to pass with unsafe clearance. Riding near the middle of a narrow lane helps overtaking motorists realize that they must must use the next lane to pass.
The real purpose of this law is to prevent unnecessary delay to faster traffic. Since the law cannot require unsafe operation, the phrase as close as practicable is highly flexible, varying widely according to conditions. Positions well away from the edge of the road can be in compliance. Section 4511.55(B) allows riding two abreast. However, cyclists should avoid unnecessary delay to other traffic. Please be courteous and "single up" when other drivers wish to pass if such passing is safe and reasonable. There is no violation if any of the following apply: (1) If there is no traffic being delayed; (2) If the cyclists are traveling as fast as other traffic; (3) If traffic can reasonably pass by using another lane; (4) If the lane is too narrow or it is otherwise unsafe for passing.
So, am I wrong? I read this to mean if traffic is being hindered move over and share the road. Nothing here says, "Make others cross a double yellow or ride abreast to block others you don't want passing you.
2006 KLR650