Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Trials
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2011, 09:53 AM   #181
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,288
Found this on Craigslist, texas. (11-9-11)

http://easttexas.craigslist.org/mcy/2676698256.html

was posted 10/30/11
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:51 PM   #182
Wop
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
I had a Deltek Grass Grub mini bike (you guessed it, lawnmower engine) first then the old man bought home a pristine TY80
Although he never rode trials himself he had it in his head that we would.
I used to curse that bike as I chased XR75's through the trails bottoming out the suspension everywhere I went but it sure could take a flogging and come back for more without so much as a wash for maintenence.

Went on to the red and white TY175 ( loved that bike) then the yellow and white 250.

Best thing about trials bikes is you learn to ride the right way no matter what else you find your self on.

After that trip down memory lane I gotta say that if there was a Society For The Prevention of Cruelty To Small Bikes you bastards would be in the hall of fame!
Whats next show jumping on a Shetland ponies?
Perhaps side car racing with Honda Monkey bikes.
Wop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 04:02 PM   #183
brewtus OP
Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer: 2,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wop View Post
After that trip down memory lane I gotta say that if there was a Society For The Prevention of Cruelty To Small Bikes you bastards would be in the hall of fame!

You said it yourself, these things are all but indestructible. In the 3 years that the League has competed on the Team TY (along with the occasional Twinshock competition done by one of us for fun), the ONLY thing that has ever broken on our TY was the silencer mount under the seat. That's it. We've bent the handlebars into origami, but the rest of the bike is fine.

Quote:
Whats next show jumping on a Shetland ponies?

Nope. We like motorcycles, not hayburners. Besides I've heard that after you run them awhile, they get a little hoarse.....

Quote:
Perhaps side car racing with Honda Monkey bikes.

Funny you should say that. We have been considering a sidecar for the TY........

brewtus screwed with this post 11-10-2011 at 04:06 PM Reason: Little horse......
brewtus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 05:41 PM   #184
MiteyF
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewtus View Post
Funny you should say that. We have been considering a sidecar for the TY........
Mine's going to get a tiny trailer for grocery duty (3 blocks)
Old 01-22-2012, 01:03 PM   #185
Pro_Marinero
Carbon Sasquatch

Oddometer: 2,086
Maybe it's buried here in the thread but I'm too lazy.

Does anyone use the B&J TY80 peg kit? My new TY80 has some bungled pegs on it. Somebody welded one side totally fixed and did a total booger job. The other side just has a bent peg. The B&J kit is $140 but moves the pegs lower and farther back. Since the once side is pretty much shot I thought maybe this would be a decent fix, but I don't want to dump a bunch into this bike.

EDIT - I looked at it again today. I think I can flip sides with the footpeg plates and move the mounts farther back and down. If that doesn't work I'll cut some new plates with a plasma cutter. I'll use OSET 36v pegs instead. .

Pro_Marinero screwed with this post 01-22-2012 at 04:00 PM
Pro_Marinero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 03:07 PM   #186
MiteyF
Beastly Adventurer

Old 01-27-2012, 08:15 AM   #187
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro_Marinero View Post
Maybe it's buried here in the thread but I'm too lazy.

Does anyone use the B&J TY80 peg kit? My new TY80 has some bungled pegs on it. Somebody welded one side totally fixed and did a total booger job. The other side just has a bent peg. The B&J kit is $140 but moves the pegs lower and farther back. Since the once side is pretty much shot I thought maybe this would be a decent fix, but I don't want to dump a bunch into this bike.

EDIT - I looked at it again today. I think I can flip sides with the footpeg plates and move the mounts farther back and down. If that doesn't work I'll cut some new plates with a plasma cutter. I'll use OSET 36v pegs instead. .
I think if you switch sides, the pegs dont fold when you crash/pass too close to rocks. not sure though it has been quite a while since I sold ours. back and down is best for someone being competitive, not sure how much it matters for a kid, once a kid gets half way good, a modern bike is a must, If you ask me anywho...

My dad just added strap iron the same size or so as original peg, but makes so the peg "width" (front to back, not fram to outside of peg) was increased, the key was adding to back of peg not the front. easy to do with vice, hammer and welder. Red line is what he added to the "straightened original pegs" if that helps ya any.
Attached Images

Old 01-27-2012, 02:49 PM   #188
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,455
The peg mounts are simple to make and the BJ pegs don`t move them enough. If you look at page 1 of the thread at the bike Brewtus has tried to destroy that was a bike I made for my oversize son. I just used flat stock and a chop saw. Took less than an hour total time. I used rev3 mounts and pegs. You could use any beta or maybe montesa mounts. Not cost effective, but I had them laying around. I`m sure Brewtus would give out the measurements.
lineaway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:19 PM   #189
brewtus OP
Buffoonery, Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineaway View Post
I`m sure Brewtus would give out the measurements.

For a small fee of course...

Lineaway's peg mounts are the main reason that the League is so Extraordinary on our TY. No way us normal sized fatasses (and one skinnyass) could ride this thing without them. PM me with promises of lavish gifts (or a half-hearted mention of a lukewarm beer) and I'll provide the specs. Maybe.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:30 PM   #190
Garthe
ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer: 4,345

and now for something compleatly...different.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:02 PM   #191
brewtus OP
Buffoonery, Inc.

Bump for a neat thread.

The League at the Mountain West Vintage Trials Association National held last weekend in Roswell, New Mexico -

Left to right - Greg "The Hammer" Arrants, Yers Truly, Matt "Yosemite Sam" Webb, and Lance "MooMoo" Butler.

A good time was had by all!
Old 10-22-2012, 08:57 PM   #192
MiteyF
Beastly Adventurer

Anybody wanna buy an 80? I think $650 is more than fair. Everything works great, but I don't have anywhere to ride it, and want something small and 4-stroke for hunting/scouting...

Old 10-23-2012, 02:30 PM   #193
Gham
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewtus View Post
Bump for a neat thread.

The League at the Mountain West Vintage Trials Association National held last weekend in Roswell, New Mexico -

Left to right - Greg "The Hammer" Arrants, Yers Truly, Matt "Yosemite Sam" Webb, and Lance "MooMoo" Butler.

A good time was had by all!
You guy's are dressed pretty dapper for a TY 80

Society Historicus Revisioniscus
Gham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:10 PM   #194
brewtus OP
Buffoonery, Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gham View Post
You guy's are dressed pretty dapper for a TY 80

Damn right we are. We take our TY80 buffoonery VERY seriously!
Old 10-24-2012, 08:47 AM   #195
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Where'd you come up with those Shirts, Brew?