Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2012, 11:17 AM   #12691
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
First up, I'd take a Motorcycle Safety Foundation Advanced rider course. As a re-entry rider it will help you break bad habits and make you think about some stuff you may have forgotten. Highly recommended.
Not entirely a re-entry rider, I've been riding a Vespa for 10 years or so before getting the Scrambler a year ago. That said, I am a newb to this big bike, and I have been meaning to do that course. Thanks for the reminder :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Passenger: You get on first. Both feet down, lean forward a bit. S.O. uses same Horse technique. Left foot on left peg, grabs onto your back, swings other leg up and over. Easy peasy.
Nice, I can see this now :)
UtahFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:24 AM   #12692
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahFox View Post
That's good info. So the side stand is strong enough to be standing on the pegs, and having a passenger on eh? The amount of 'give' the side stand has when you're parking the bike is a bit disconcerting to me, which makes it seem fragile. I know its in my head, just kinda freaky.
yes, side stand is plenty strong enough. the weakest part of the sidestand is where you have the foot planted. make sure you are on firm ground! if you have the bike loaded up, swinging your leg over without one foot on the stand would be near impossible.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:25 AM   #12693
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
Where did you mount you antenna? I can't find a really good place. Pics please. Thanks in advance!
I take it no one has an XM antenna mounted?
Old 05-08-2012, 11:28 AM   #12694
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,837
Quote:
Not entirely a re-entry rider, I've been riding a Vespa for 10 years or so before getting the Scrambler a year ago. That said, I am a newb to this big bike, and I have been meaning to do that course. Thanks for the reminder :)
Then I wouldn't recommend any of the MSF classes as in my opinion they mainly target a different group of riders - the ones that rarely ride and need very basic re-introduction to proper riding. They are so bureaucratic that they are not allowed to adjust their classes to the needs of the attendees.

It might still help you (and me) but if you are experienced on two wheels, scooter or bike, and have 10 years of riding done, you can get on much better trainings. Like a beginner track day where they teach you how to ride corners properly, not necessarily fast but correct, teach you how and when to break, and also give you some important skills for properly riding a street motorcycle.

If you have lots of money to spend you can also attend one of the Adventure riding classes out there (I have read good things about the BMW classes, but some good and more bad things about the Rawhyde classes). My wife really wants us to do a weekend trip doing a one day dirt class followed by a one day street class on a single weekend.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...otorcycle.aspx

This might or might not be good, I'm just pointing out that there are classes out there, that are MUCH MUCH better than the MSF classes because they adjust to the attendees and help you with your specific questions / issues instead of pushing through their required class material. Unfortunately these classes are also much more expensive. I still think they have a better value.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:38 AM   #12695
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
52 custom rear sprocket
quick update on the sprocket...

I really dont notice a mpg difference. If there is one it seems small. I would say 1mpg less max. However, the fun factor out weighs everything. It shifts better, has more low end, and really makes the bike ride like it should have off the show room floor. Of course this is my perception. I wont be switching back to stock!!!
Old 05-08-2012, 11:45 AM   #12696
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,872
Quote:
So.... I've been meaning to ask, and you've given me the perfect opening. How DO you load and unload a passenger on these anyway?

I'm pretty much a complete noob when it comes to motorcycles, had a Kawasaki KZ750 back in the 80s, rode a Scrambler over the past year, now I have my 800XC. With other bikes its not really a question, rider gets on much like we do - leg over, done. Same thing on the XC? What if they can't do a leg over, how (specifically) do you load a passenger then? You're about the same dimensions as I am, I'm trying to imagine loading someone while I'm balls of the feet down only.
As others have noted- "cowboy up" is the easiest way to get on a tall bike, then you balance the bike while the passenger does the same thing. The gotcha for passengers is to have them stand close to the bike and step STRAIGHT UP on the peg. If they're standing away from the bike and step up and pull on your back, that's a balance issue.

Done right, there's very effect on the bike's balance. Done wrong, you'll be laying on the ground.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:52 AM   #12697
Rich B
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 601
Talking

Thanks for the responses to my question. I know climbing onto the Tiger will be a problem, but she had no issues climbing onto the F800 or 1200Gs....so not too worried about the climb, was more concerned about would she find the perch acceptable.

So see where this goes, if we end up with a Tiger, then I can start asking dumbazz noob questions about a Tiger that have already been answered several hundred times
Old 05-08-2012, 12:22 PM   #12698
Dr. Motardo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Then I wouldn't recommend any of the MSF classes as in my opinion they mainly target a different group of riders - the ones that rarely ride and need very basic re-introduction to proper riding. They are so bureaucratic that they are not allowed to adjust their classes to the needs of the attendees.
I don't know, I kind of think the MSF basic skills class could still be helpful. They really do help if you've picked up any bad habits over the years. Of course, these classes vary depending on location and instructor so my experience could be very different from yours. Also, it's been about 10 years since I last took an MSF class of any kind.

I learned the most and had the most fun at an American Supercamp. I highly recommend these camps, even though they're aimed at dirt track racing. They do a good job of breaking up the class into groups with similar skills and you ride and crash on a controlled course. When you fall, the bikes are small enough that bruises are typically the worst you'll experience. I hadn't ridden in the dirt for over 20 years when I took this 2 day class and I learned a lot and had a blast.

http://www.americansupercamp.com/ind...id=10&Itemid=3
Dr. Motardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:28 PM   #12699
helotaxi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
I take it no one has an XM antenna mounted?
Depending on the XM receiver and the mount you have for that, I've typically seen an "L" made out of sheet steel stuck on the back of the mount for the receiver and the antenna stuck on that. As my bike is currently set up, I would try to stick it on the flyscreen for my Madstad but with all the different configurations that people have their bikes, I don't think that there will be a universal solution that will work for everyone.
helotaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:03 PM   #12700
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Motardo View Post
I learned the most and had the most fun at an American Supercamp. I highly recommend these camps, even though they're aimed at dirt track racing. They do a good job of breaking up the class into groups with similar skills and you ride and crash on a controlled course. When you fall, the bikes are small enough that bruises are typically the worst you'll experience. I hadn't ridden in the dirt for over 20 years when I took this 2 day class and I learned a lot and had a blast.
I agree wholeheartedly. I've been to two AS sessions and learned from each.

I plan on continuing attendance until I've gotten it right!
Old 05-08-2012, 01:07 PM   #12701
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
I agree wholeheartedly. I've been to two AS sessions and learned from each.

I plan on continuing attendance until I've gotten it right!
That's the beauty of riding, we'll never know it all, so there's always something new to learn and the only way to get better is to keep riding.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:16 PM   #12702
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by helotaxi View Post
Depending on the XM receiver and the mount you have for that, I've typically seen an "L" made out of sheet steel stuck on the back of the mount for the receiver and the antenna stuck on that. As my bike is currently set up, I would try to stick it on the flyscreen for my Madstad but with all the different configurations that people have their bikes, I don't think that there will be a universal solution that will work for everyone.

I know! Thats why I was asking for pictures and ideas of where to mount it. 100 different options could be posted, that would be 99 more than I have now... thats all I'm looking for.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:43 PM   #12703
PYG RYDR
Adventure-Dual Sport

Oddometer: 353
Question Advice Please

I am looking to purchase a new XC and want to know which Triumph accessories owners think should be purchased with the bike. I know it is a preference thing. I have looked at this forum and the UK forum. Still undecided and looking for input.

TIA

Items I know I want:
skid plate-OEM? Motech? Other?
saddlebag luggage-OEM? TRAX? ???
center stand-OEM? Motech? ???
protection bars-OEM? Other?
hand guards-OEM? Other?
other items.
There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it.
Only the wisest of humans achieve the second.
Logan Pearsall Smith
PYG RYDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:53 PM   #12704
C5INC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Sorry, no pics, but on my FJR, I have it mounted on top of the brake resovoir with "Dual Lock" (kind of like heavy duty velcro). Been on since '08 and never came loose and always get a good signal.

Quote:
Where did you mount you antenna? I can't find a really good place. Pics please. Thanks in advance!
C5INC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:58 PM   #12705
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYG RYDR View Post
I am looking to purchase a new XC and want to know which Triumph accessories owners think should be purchased with the bike. I know it is a preference thing. I have looked at this forum and the UK forum. Still undecided and looking for input.

TIA

Items I know I want:
skid plate-OEM? Motech? Other?
saddlebag luggage-OEM? TRAX? ???
center stand-OEM? Motech? ???
protection bars-OEM? Other?
hand guards-OEM? Other?
other items.
skid plate-OEM -(Altrider looks good too)
saddlebag luggage-Happy Trails SU with Wolfman Expedetion (not needed with purchase)
center stand-OEM
protection bars-Happy Trails
hand guards-dozens of choices, I run Acerbis (not needed with purchase necessarily)