Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2012, 12:50 PM   #16
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,317
This site helps people figure out what's wrong with their bikes.. reading about others' experiences is a good thing.. why waste time trying to diagnose a perceived issue when others have had a similar experience..

Keep it going, someone will appreciate it and learn from it..

If your bike is running perfectly, great.. we don't need to hear about it in this thread.. use the other big Tiger thread. Time to clean up.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:42 AM   #17
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,532
Thx
Old 05-05-2012, 04:02 PM   #18
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post

It could be, for XC models, that the initial spoke torque from the factory is just a bit loose and needs to be looked over after the initial break-in. Once I corrected mine, I have had neither of these issues resurface.
Sorry if this is not kosher in here but this happens to the Yammies as well. If you don't read the Manual and don't follow the instructions you end up with a few issues with spokes on occasions. The spokes "bed in" and MAY need to be adjusted over the first few thousand Km. It appears to be fairly typical spoked wheel thing on bikes that do more than smooth tarmac. Once they "Bed in" the problem tends to go away.

Tell me to nuke this if it is not Kosher.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:58 AM   #19
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
Sorry if this is not kosher in here but this happens to the Yammies as well. If you don't read the Manual and don't follow the instructions you end up with a few issues with spokes on occasions. The spokes "bed in" and MAY need to be adjusted over the first few thousand Km. It appears to be fairly typical spoked wheel thing on bikes that do more than smooth tarmac. Once they "Bed in" the problem tends to go away.

Tell me to nuke this if it is not Kosher.
I feel it is relevant information.

Since truing and adjusting my Tiger's front wheel, I have not had any further issues over thousands of miles. Your "bedding in" comment about the spokes would appear to be supported by my experience.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:22 PM   #20
ButtonPushingMonkey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
I too got the check engine light and wonky gear shifter indications/random neutral light issue. Gear position sensor to blame... "It's backordered and we have no idea when it will be shipped. Could be days, could be weeks, maybe months"

Fantastic.

They said I could ride it till the part comes in but the fuel mapping and such is modified based on what gear you are in so I am not sure about risking it. Besides it would drive me absolutely bonkers to ride a bike less than one year old with a check engine light and randomly changing gear indicator, neutral light flashing at me.

Not feeling so warm and fuzzy about my otherwise great bike right now.
ButtonPushingMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:11 PM   #21
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,815
"Issues" I had:

1) Handlebar being off with the right side further forward than the left side. Mentioned it at the run-in service and these idiots told me "everything is fine, couldn't find anything". After about a month not riding at all due to limited time I did a quick go over the bike last weekend and found what was wrong with it: the front fork clamps were so loose I could remove one of the bolts with my bare fingers (note that this was about 20 miles after they checked in the shop). Aligned everything, torqued the bolts properly and everything is in line.

So, the shop was too dumb to check the front fork clamp bolts even when I pointed out the offset handlebars. Man, how I trust them how well they did the rest of the service. Going to go over the whole bike myself over the next couple of days. Oh, and I'm pretty certain it was them, too, that got the tear in my gel seat. Will call them tomorrow.

2) Bar vibration was pretty annoying until I added R&G bar end weights. No difference before and after the run-in service. I'll probably also change the oil again soon, just to make sure these guys didn't just rip me off and didn't do anything good to the bike.

Both not real issues but the loose bolts seems to be a repeating pattern on the Tiger 800. I have read about a few cases already where various bolts were found to be loose. I'm planning to go over the bike in all critical places and check all bolts whether they are in torque spec.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:59 PM   #22
mickd
crash test dummie

Oddometer: 1,835
loose bolts are not just with this bike,every new bike will at some time have a loose bolt of some kind,thats why you should always check your bike from time to time,

I've just been to my first muslim birthday party. Musical chairs was a bit slow but F**k me, pass the parcel was bloody quick.
mickd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 04:02 PM   #23
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickd View Post
loose bolts are not just with this bike,every new bike will at some time have a loose bolt of some kind,thats why you should always check your bike from time to time,
I'm aware of this. The thing is that I have read an uncommon high number of people complaining about this. I have had a few bikes and never any trouble with loose bolts, certainly not after just 500 miles, and I have read at least 6 or 7 different cases of loose bolts - without searching for them.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:52 AM   #24
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dirt View Post
I'm wrong, your right. Every Tiger 800 is perfect.
I don't think anyone is claiming that.

Mine's had some issues. Specifically, the front end bounce and the pull to the right, both of which were corrected by adjusting spokes (XC model, obviously.)

The "heat issue", for me, is not an issue at all. I own and have owned bikes that put out much more heat on the rider.

I've not had any stalling issues, nor non-starting or non-idling issues.

Compared to some of my other machines, the XC has been one of the most trouble-free bikes I've ever had.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:41 PM   #25
CCBonnie
n00b

Oddometer: 9
I have a 2012 roadie with over 9000 miles and I have a front end bounce around 45mph,sometimes I think its the road I am on. I also have and the gear indicator tell me I am in 3rd gear when I was in 2nd only about half a dozen times,now trip meter 1 will not read the miles I am putting on the bike,so I am taking it to the dealer this Friday to see what they say,other then that I love this bike.
CCBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:42 AM   #26
ButtonPushingMonkey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Rob,

It looks of the sensors won't hit USA until 5/28/2012. Hope that helps with the waiting game. I was happy to at least get a date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dirt View Post
Mine has been messed up 80% of the time I've owned it. Currently I've had a check engine light for over 5 weeks. Gear indicator sensor & nobody knows when I'll ever get one. All of my other bikes combined (at least 30 bikes) have not given me this much trouble. Since I'm lucky enough to get all of the problems I've read about, it's just a matter of time until my Immobilizer messes up too. Then I'll have the complete package. A perfect Tiger.
ButtonPushingMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:05 PM   #27
Rob Dirt OP
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtonPushingMonkey View Post
Rob,

It looks of the sensors won't hit USA until 5/28/2012. Hope that helps with the waiting game. I was happy to at least get a date.
I was told 6-15-12. This is the third part # for the gear indicator sensor. Maybe they got it right this time.

I'd like to add that all of my problems have been parts made by others. It's hard to get mad at Triumph because a part made in Japan failed. I really do love my XC. I just want it to work right & stay working.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:31 AM   #28
elan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
Both not real issues but the loose bolts seems to be a repeating pattern on the Tiger 800. I have read about a few cases already where various bolts were found to be loose. I'm planning to go over the bike in all critical places and check all bolts whether they are in torque spec.
FYI, Was reading about this and decided to go over all the 8mm case bolts on both sides. Many were barely finger tight - no leaks though. I went ever them all with a 1/4" ratchet, snugging them all up a bit. I have a 2012 roadie I bought second hand with 3400 miles on it.
elan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 02:24 AM   #29
motomuppet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
FYI, Was reading about this and decided to go over all the 8mm case bolts on both sides. Many were barely finger tight - no leaks though. I went ever them all with a 1/4" ratchet, snugging them all up a bit. I have a 2012 roadie I bought second hand with 3400 miles on it.
This seems to be a common theme on the triple engines...my old 1050 tiger had several case bolts come loose a couple times. After a few tweaks to tighten them up they seemed to stay tight

gonna check over my new 800xc tonight I think...
motomuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 04:32 PM   #30
fxrjon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
I've got a little north of 7,500 miles on mine so far, with four issues (and only three are material)

1. Its a nail magnet. I've had 4 read flats in 6,000 miles.

2. It's started ticking at about 5k or so. The engine makes a bit of noise like tappets. I talked to the dealer and got the same answer that some guys on the tiger forum got... "some of them do that...dont worry about it"

3. It leaks a bit. There is some oil seepage from the gaskets on the right side of the motor. As a result, its eaten about a quart of oil in 7k miles.

4. The steering head bearing came loose from the factory

In my mind all of those are niggles. The bike has really performed quite well for me in the first (almost) year of ownership.
fxrjon is offline   Reply With Quote