Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2012, 06:58 AM   #16
Domiken
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 649
I will purchasing this soon, my friend just got it for his SV650 and when we went to the track it took him less than 3 minutes to put the bike on the trailer while I was dealing with straps for 15-20 minutes.

He installed a wheel chock in the front, and then the Pitbull is in the rear, his bike is SOLID on that trailer.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:06 PM   #17
ausfahrt OP
mach schnell

Oddometer: 1,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebar View Post
I may have a clearance issue. My custom Vmax has a kerker, so its not a issue for that one.. But my stock Vmax's exhaust is about 1 1/2" away even after I removed the black T handle..

How much will the rear suspension compress during trailering without anyone sitting on it and speeds less than 70mph?
Any Idea how to limit the travel during towing?
That looks too close to me. Does it hit the exhaust when you sit on the bike? I would give Pitbull a call, this can't be the first time that this has come up.

You can always count on the Americans to do the right thing, after they have tried everything else.
-Winston Churchill
ausfahrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:17 PM   #18
rebar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausfahrt View Post
That looks too close to me. Does it hit the exhaust when you sit on the bike? I would give Pitbull a call, this can't be the first time that this has come up.
Its not their fault. I sent them the axle and told them which bike.. But they had no idea how close exhaust was.. No it doesn't hit when I jump hard on it. 600lb bike and Im 155. But Im working on something which will stiffen the rear allot..
rebar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:45 PM   #19
rebar
Gnarly Adventurer

Problem solved..

Not pretty by any means, but it stiffened up the rear dramatically by locking up about half of the coil spring. I bounced around on it and it compresses 1/2" then stops.

Next project.. Beef up my trailer joists and weld in 4 coupling nuts to mount the pitbull.

Old 05-01-2012, 04:46 PM   #20
ausfahrt OP
mach schnell

Oddometer: 1,753
Quote:
Its not their fault. I sent them the axle and told them which bike.. But they had no idea how close exhaust was.. No it doesn't hit when I jump hard on it. 600lb bike and Im 155. But Im working on something which will stiffen the rear allot..
If you couldn't get it to touch when jumping on it then I would think that you should be OK. But stiffening couldn't hurt...

You can always count on the Americans to do the right thing, after they have tried everything else.
-Winston Churchill
ausfahrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 12:22 PM   #21
high dangler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
Quote:

It maybe unnecessary dangler, but bikes pop out of straps all the time. .

Not when I strap em.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:20 PM   #22
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,607
I always liked the tyredown system. I just use a condor chock and straps though. But have used regular hooped chocks and straps and haven't lost a bike yet.

The pitbull system is slick, but expensive. Will it work on bikes without a hollow rear axle?

A regular chock and some straps will take care of ANY bike.

I see a big problem with that system if you ever have to go pick up a stranded friend, what if his exhaust is covering the rear axle? Now you have to pull his muffler to tow his ass home?

Or say you have this setup in your trailer for two bikes but your friend who rides his track bike to the track wrecks and needs a ride home, since the pitbull is bolted down you can't move the other bikes further out to make room in the middle like you can if you used a locking chock and straps.

If however your intentions is to tow your own specific bike to and from the track and aren't concerned of others than it looks like a slick setup.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:16 PM   #23
high dangler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded View Post

IMO a chock is not even nessasary if tied down right.
This is not hard to do.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:20 PM   #24
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by high dangler View Post
IMO a chock is not even nessasary if tied down right.
This is not hard to do.
Absolutely right, it's just to make life a bit easier, if you have some sort of wall in front of your trailer you do not need it, if your trailer however is completely open then it's nice to have it "catch" the front end.

A locking chock is simply nice to be able to load a bike without having to have one hand on the bike and have a balancing act on your hands.

Never said one needs to buy a $250 Condor or other expensive piece of metal, a $20 harbor freight will do just fine.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 12:45 AM   #25
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded View Post
I always liked the tyredown system. I just use a condor chock and straps though. But have used regular hooped chocks and straps and haven't lost a bike yet.

The pitbull system is slick, but expensive. Will it work on bikes without a hollow rear axle?Yes

I see a big problem with that system if you ever have to go pick up a stranded friend, what if his exhaust is covering the rear axle? Now you have to pull his muffler to tow his ass home?I always keep extra straps/chock in the trailer

Or say you have this setup in your trailer for two bikes but your friend who rides his track bike to the track wrecks and needs a ride home, since the pitbull is bolted down you can't move the other bikes further out to make room in the middle like you can if you used a locking chock and straps.The Pit Bull is removable. All that is left on the floor is the mount plate and mushroom head bolts

If however your intentions is to tow your own specific bike to and from the track and aren't concerned of others than it looks like a slick setup.
Yes, a very quick install and does leave more room in the trailer since no tie downs
Old 05-06-2012, 12:57 AM   #26
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,202
If I need to carry a bike that does not have the system, I just remove the two receivers that are pinned to the mounting plate. That leaves the floor almost flat.

I use a removable wheel chock at the front of the trailer for bikes that do not use the Pit Bull system. You can see one of them lying loosely in the centre of the 2 bikes.

BMW's with telelevers and fairings are a PITA to strap into a trailer. You need a ratchet strap that wraps around the fork above the fender bridge as you are not able to use the suspension for tension like on most standard forked bikes.

OOPS.............my apologies as I have forgotten to change the month on the calendar!

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-09-2012, 01:05 PM   #27
rebar
Gnarly Adventurer

Finally got around to installing the pitbull.

Plus's.. Wont have to worry about any straps coming loose. Takes maybe 3 minutes to mount. And leaves only four 3/8 holes in the floor when removed. A few screw plugs and it disappears..