Old 05-05-2012, 06:26 PM   #76
thehomealien
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by duck View Post
If it's linear then it's not a curve.

(Just yanking your chain.)
A straight line is a special case of a curve.

(Just yanking your curved chain.)
thehomealien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:43 PM   #77
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith Rider View Post
No SuMo will ever pass a sportbike on the outside or the inside at any regular road IF both riders are equally skilled AND the sportbike rider gives a damn if he is passed by anyone. Maybe a SuMo has a slight advantage in very tight hairpin turns and of course on very bumpy backroads, but that's it.
Hell, I've done it on knobbies.
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:47 PM   #78
FAW3
Old wanderer

Oddometer: 460
I remember my test ride on my first BMW which was an R100RS. Prior experience on MC's was unfaired bikes with much smaller powerplant.

My first impression was nice balance, then how smooth the engine was and how quiet it was behind the fairing...brakes good, but some front dive...after a few turns was on an interstate...smooooooth....HOLY SHIZZNEL...IM GOING 90 MPH!!!!!

Just saying , it happens! Cruising around at 80-100 was nothing on that bike...it was a mile killer.

FAW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:57 PM   #79
hankgs
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK111 View Post
Really????
I don't think you know too much about what's out there in the SM world

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=z5SVy2PyxEU

And another
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_r-1t...ure=plpp_video
hankgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:29 AM   #80
Wraith Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,024
Your funny little videos and stories about pwning superbikes on you KLR, with knobbies, handcuffed, and blindfolded are meaningless, 'cause you ignore the part of equally skilled riders on regular roads who give a damn about beeing passed.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:52 AM   #81
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtremjeepn View Post
Typically people don't run out and spent big bucks on a performance oriented mediocre looking motorcycle until they have a few miles under their belt and have owned a fair number of bikes.
This. I know very few riders who started with Beemers. More typically they've come to the brand after having owned several other bikes, and with a lot more experience and technique than a brand new rider.
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Boondox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:59 AM   #82
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,517
Those same BMW riders on 600 CC supersports would be passing their buddies on the GS like they were standing still. For a few miles until the pain in their back, neck and wrists became unbearable. It is the rider. A comfortable rider is faster.

Rod
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:55 PM   #83
JDK111
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith Rider View Post
Your funny little videos and stories about pwning superbikes on you KLR, with knobbies, handcuffed, and blindfolded are meaningless, 'cause you ignore the part of equally skilled riders on regular roads who give a damn about beeing passed.
Never driven a CR500 have you?
http://www.servicehonda.com/honda-2010-models/500afx

<220 lbs with 80-90 hp.VS 450 lbs with 100 -120 hp...... if there's any corners on your 'regular roads' the supersport is toast. (with equal riders)...... just like in the vids.
JDK111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:50 AM   #84
Wraith Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,024
At least the supersport would be able to deliver its equal (wet + with rider) or slightly better (more realistic under 70hp) power/weight ratio to the ground (as in not doing backflips) and won't wobble around (suspension designed for street use). Sure, a good rider would be able to keep up with the supersport.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:16 AM   #85
tvpierce
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by duck View Post
What's a linear power curve?

K75s are dogs until you get them past 4,500 rpm.

Something's wrong with that graph: the hp and torque lines should intersect at 5252 RPM.

EDIT: Oh... it's KW not HP... nevermind!

"But I had the right of way!" makes a pretty crappy epitaph.

tvpierce screwed with this post 05-07-2012 at 03:22 AM Reason: I'm a knucklehead!
tvpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:19 AM   #86
opmike
Choosing to be here.

Oddometer: 334
You cannot use an anecdotal story of one rider passing another as evidence of which bike is inherently quicker around a circuit. Not unless you first establish that the riders were of comparable skill level and competent on their respective machinery. This line of reasoning is particularly faulty for those invoking random encounters on the street for reasons I feel are obvious.

Granted, my comment isn't arguing for one design over a another. I just get sick of hearing, "Well, I pass X riders all day long, so my Y bike is faster." Even if you're right, you can't use that reasoning alone as proof.
"you want to fix the Pledge of Allegiance, put a disclaimer at the end: with liberty and justice for all...must be 18, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply, not available in all states."
opmike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:02 AM   #87
Big Doobie
Frustrated Redneck

Oddometer: 539
Disclaimer, I do not own a BMW motorcycle.

I'm smart enough to not think of myself as "that good" of a rider.

But I have test ridin BMW motorcycles, and believe me, when I say I will have one.

Particularly impressed with the GS. It is an easy bike to ride swiftly.

They don't feel as heavy as they are, I think because the weight of the engine is so low.
And I believe, that the telelever front suspension with it's anti-dive action provides such a feeling of security, you will be just zinging through twisty two lane, without even trying.

The brake are excellent, and if they conquer the final drive issues the GS will be the perfect motorcycle.
A bit expensive, but more worth it than anything else in its price range.

"I can't complain but sometimes I still do." Joe Walsh
Big Doobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:10 PM   #88
Motzilla
Lunch-Boxer

Oddometer: 123
"It is the indian, not the arrow"

Getting back to the OP, BMW 12 GSA bikes handle incredibly well and they do corner like a dream, they can be very forgiving and inspire confidence. With all the potholes, speed bumps, oil, diesel, gravel, etc found around Mexico I would not consider any other type of bike. I am on my third BMW, my first GS (GSA) since 2008, and I could not be happier at all!!!

I is absurd to compare them with sport bikes, they serve a very different purpose. A fashion trend (down here at least) is making 1200 GS a desirable bike for many new riders (nothing wrong with that), but forgiving as they may be, they won't make a competent rider out of anyone just like magic.
The last couple of years, the new riders with big GS bikes are seriously growing, and one has to watch out for there a lot of hazardous riders out there!!

"It is the indian, not the arrow" as I have heard. A friend of mine, who I frequently ride with, is a BMW motorrad instructor and keeping up with him is demanding, no matter what he rides.
Motzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:06 AM   #89
KradmelderSA
Banned

Oddometer: 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motzilla View Post
Getting back to the OP, BMW 12 GSA bikes handle incredibly well and they do corner like a dream, they can be very forgiving and inspire confidence. With all the potholes, speed bumps, oil, diesel, gravel, etc found around Mexico I would not consider any other type of bike. I am on my third BMW, my first GS (GSA) since 2008, and I could not be happier at all!!!

I is absurd to compare them with sport bikes, they serve a very different purpose. A fashion trend (down here at least) is making 1200 GS a desirable bike for many new riders (nothing wrong with that), but forgiving as they may be, they won't make a competent rider out of anyone just like magic.
The last couple of years, the new riders with big GS bikes are seriously growing, and one has to watch out for there a lot of hazardous riders out there!!

"It is the indian, not the arrow" as I have heard. A friend of mine, who I frequently ride with, is a BMW motorrad instructor and keeping up with him is demanding, no matter what he rides.
My GS is a quick solid handling bike. But with knobblies on its becomes somewhat unstable past 160 kmh and cornerring suffer, so the zoom zombies shoot past me. They also out accelerate me. But the average cruiser, scrambler or street bike is quickly a speck in your rear view mirror.

I also notice many people are getting GSes as first bikes. I used to think that is insane as they will kill themselves on such large powerful bikes. But it is an easy bike to ride and very forgving for beginners. The ABS and good brakes and ASC are useful for that. Im sure starting off ona super bike as a first bike is a much quicker way to turn up your toes, or use up your medical insurance.
KradmelderSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:02 AM   #90
Motzilla
Lunch-Boxer

Oddometer: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by KradmelderSA View Post
I also notice many people are getting GSes as first bikes. I used to think that is insane as they will kill themselves on such large powerful bikes. But it is an easy bike to ride and very forgving for beginners. The ABS and good brakes and ASC are useful for that. Im sure starting off ona super bike as a first bike is a much quicker way to turn up your toes, or use up your medical insurance.
You have a point right there! Personally I suppose if my son ever wanted to get started on motorcycles, light dirt bike would be a place to begin, but I would be more at ease (should he later decided to go for the street) if he chose one of the lighter GS models instead of a sport bike!
Motzilla is offline   Reply With Quote