Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-09-2012, 06:05 PM   #11
Matt 82 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Campbeltown

Ok so yesterday I decided to take a trip to Campbeltown on the Kintyre peninsula. Not because there's anything there (there isn't) but simply because I was looking at a map and saw it was fairly easy to get to and because I'd never been there before.

It was going to be a pretty long journey. It's 160 miles there and obviously the same distance back. My previous longest trip was the first featured in this thread and it was 200 miles so I'm trumping that by quite a distance. I like that I'm getting more used to longer trips. If I didn't need to return home at the end of a trip, today's 320 miles could have seen me go to anywhere in Scotland, with miles to spare.

The Route:

So I headed up my new found favourite road, the A83. The last time I was up this way I didn't take any pictures until I found a viewing area. This time I just found somewhere to stop at the side of the road.

Loch Long:

Glen Croe:

Last time I was at Inveraray the loch was pretty choppy. Today it was like glass. An English tourist obviously thought to anyway as he kept repeating that fact over and over again to his wife.

Loch Fyne:

We were now in an area of Scotland where I was riding through villages that I'd never heard of. Here was the view from Furnace.

Furnace:

I then moved on from places I'd never heard of to 'places I'd never heard of and couldn't pronounce even if I had'. I'll get some pictures of the town welcome signs if I'm ever through again. They give you the name of the town in English and Gaelic but it's not always clear which is which.

The next port of call was Tarbert. It is the epitome of fishing village. Seriously, if you were to try picture a quaint, Scottish fishing village you would picture Tarbert. In fact, when it first came into view I burst out laughing at how it fits the stereotype. It was a nice place but everything was closed. In small, out of the way places you tend to find that shops don't share the same opening times as shops back in the cities. Maybe everything shuts on a Wednesday. I wasn't staying about to find out as I had to press on.

Tarbert:

At the far side of Tarbert is West Loch Tarbert (a sea loch) and on West Loch Tarbert are numerous ferry ports. They take you to various islands (including Ireland). I noticed that one of the ferry terminals had a right good view so I stopped in the no parking zone and grabbed a few pictures.

West Loch Tarbert:

View of West Loch Tarbert from above:

After this, the road follows the coast before cutting across the peninsula into Campbeltown. The weather I got here was the best I got all day. It was so bright and sunny that you could be forgiven for thinking these pictures are of some mediterranean island. Few things are better for the soul than some fresh sea air and glorious sunshine!

Coastal Road:

Note: The land in the far distance is Ireland

The road after this wasn't great. There was resurfacing and various other work going on so I spent a lot of time on gravel and waiting for green lights. So it wasn't too exciting and Campbeltown itself was pretty drab from what I could see though it had a nice harbour. Still, today's trip was all about the journey and not about the destination. So a few quick photos and I was heading back to do it all again.

Campbeltown:

It's always amazing how simply going the other way along a road makes it seem brand new. What made me laugh was how I noticed things like mountains that I hadn't noticed previously. How the hell do you miss a mountain? Anyway, the A83 is a pretty spectacular road when going north, but I think it might just be more special heading south.

So that's me til next week probably as I'm busy for the next few days. Hopefully the weather will stay dry again and I'll find somewhere new to play.

My Flickr

Matt 82 screwed with this post 11-13-2012 at 05:53 PM
Matt 82 is offline   Reply With Quote