ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2012, 09:25 PM   #31
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer: 2,525
Sstewart, sorry to see this, major bummer.... thankfully it looks like the filters caught most of it. Definitely will need a solvent flush for sure... I have set up a rig before where I took the pump out of my solvent tank, plumbed it up with a inline filter (prior to the spray nozzle) and had it in a pan of solvent just below the engine, with about 2 gallons of solvent I completely flushed the whole engine. Was not a LC8, but the principle still works..... you need to get as much of that copper debris out of the engine/oil system as you can so it does not foul things up any more than it may have already....

My "new" 06 950 ADV will be getting this attention with 648 loctite as well before we go on our 1000-24 IBA run this summer...
Head2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:29 AM   #32
sstewart OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,056
Flush

Thanks for the info Ken. This bike really came alive after I installed your jet kit. I hope I can save this thing.
sstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:06 PM   #33
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,557
Sorry to hear of your troubles. I just hand checked that mine are tight last week (06).

I figured me removing, cleaning and re-648ing the bolts came with a chance of screwing up (not removing all the oil etc) so I left them alone
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:32 PM   #34
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,599
Would it be unreasonable to drill and safety wire the bolt heads to each other, daisy-chained, in this application?

Are there any interference issues?

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:49 PM   #35
sstewart OP
Beastly Adventurer

pressure relief valve

There is a relief valve that comes into play with a restricted filter. This is why it is got by the filter. It seems that the screens did there job. I will flush and do at least four oil changes. Wish me luck.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:19 PM   #36
adiablolex
Lost again

Oddometer: 3,693
oh man, good luck with this, hope you get her back soon

prayers and 98 octane unleaded sent to orange gods
Old 04-23-2012, 10:22 PM   #37
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer: 2,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstewart View Post
There is a relief valve that comes into play with a restricted filter. This is why it is got by the filter. It seems that the screens did there job. I will flush and do at least four oil changes. Wish me luck.

ickiness
Head2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:10 PM   #38
keener
Speed changes you.

Oddometer: 925
I recall once when I was buying thread lock stuff, I was told some are safe to apply on oily environment and some not.

Sorry for what happen to you. I am no expert. I think I would do a couple of flushes and ride it.

If this happened while you were riding and you didn't immediately stop, chances are the damage is already done. If you notice any symptoms, then crack open the engine. You might not even notice anything giving several screens on lc8. Don't forget the clutch oil jet.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:29 AM   #39
sstewart OP
Beastly Adventurer

Stator

I'm going to pull the clutch plates,clear the oil jet,flush oil tank,and try to flush the sump. I think we will be good. This repair will cost several dollars,in parts and beer.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:59 AM   #40
jclark83
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 369
Would it be wise to pull a valve cover and look for copper shavings? Good luck with it, I hope you do not have to open up the engine.
jclark83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:39 PM   #41
sstewart OP
Beastly Adventurer

Screens

It seems that the screens did their job,nothing around cam chains at all.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:40 PM   #42
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,557
Quote:
It seems that the screens did their job,nothing around cam chains at all.
great news!!!
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:32 PM   #43
sstewart OP
Beastly Adventurer

Fixt

After one new rotor,one new stator,one new gen. Gasket,a couple of KTM tools,some Loctite 648,four oil changes,and a whole lot of cussing,she's back together. I hope this never happens to anyone. It cost about a grand ,all said and done. I guess I should be proud it didn't ruin the engine. I am,trust me. Check those rotor bolts soon.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:41 PM   #44
biggus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 376
Quote:
After one new rotor,one new stator,one new gen. Gasket,a couple of KTM tools,some Loctite 648,four oil changes,and a whole lot of cussing,she's back together. I hope this never happens to anyone. It cost about a grand ,all said and done. I guess I should be proud it didn't ruin the engine. I am,trust me. Check those rotor bolts soon.
Congrats
biggus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:26 PM   #45
Hawk
Bainned

Oddometer: 17,059
Quote:
Hate that it happened, happy you got away relatively clean and painless. Makes me want to tear apart my bike and at least check....