User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 44 votes, 4.93 average. Display Modes
Old 05-07-2012, 09:55 AM   #61
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,941
took my Gamo Varment hunter out to our pond yesterday. popping turtles heads at 80 yards. love this gun.

"My mind jumped off the high dive into the deep end of the gutter and took scuba gear with it" Me.
Switchblade315 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:07 AM   #62
DC950
Microadventurer

Oddometer: 2,735
this is a good thread. I too have an RWS Diana in .22. I have a small midtown yard, maybe a tenth of an acre, but I'm cursed with two pecans and a chestnut tree. The .22 is hell on squirrels and has made me a better rifle shot to boot. I only take head shots on tree rats nowadays. I've killed between 40 and 50 in the last 3 years. A lady at work eats all of them. The RWS hollow points work better than anything else I've tried.

The pointed pellets are only good if you really need some penetration. I had a few coons that would drop green pecans on my tin patio roof all night. After way too many nights of this, I finally decided to forgo humane hunting and see if the Diana could kill one.

I got the previously useless ice pick pellets out, a flashlight, and the gun. When the bombs started dropping in the middle of the night, I leaped out to the backyard in my underwear and got the tools. I must admit I was reluctant to pull the trigger, but with the rifle in one hand and the flashlight laid along the barrel in the other, I shot at the little bastard about 17 feet up a pecan. It sounded like a hit; blood dripping down onto my arm confirmed it.

He went 30 feet up the tree so I shot him again, aiming right at his glowing little beady eyes. BAM! he hit the ground and my old dog leaped on him. He was dead as they come, shot alongside his pointy little nose. The pellet went right into the brain. I shot another one the next night but he didn't fall and frankly, I didn't give a damn that he had a slow death. The hours of sleep they were stealing every night were killing us.

The devil spawn cleared out after that.

DC950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:57 AM   #63
simmersonwheels
Asleep at Switch

Oddometer: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bun-bun View Post
Oh thank gawd, I thought he said "cow".

Could not figure out what a cow was doing at Wal-mart.
simmersonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:44 PM   #64
BerndM
Shiftless One

Oddometer: 1,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchblade315 View Post
took my Gamo Varment hunter out to our pond yesterday. popping turtles heads at 80 yards. love this gun.
Did these poor turtles do something to offend you?
BerndM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:41 AM   #65
JRP
Old guy

Oddometer: 1,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchblade315 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerndM View Post
Did these poor turtles do something to offend you?
Truly WTF! I didn't know there was a hunting season for turtles.
1983 R 80 G/S
JRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:00 AM   #66
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,582
Turtles make fishing a problem. They also eat your fish in the stringer. And they have taken my ducks when I used to duck hunt. So many of us tent to control the population in our fishing ponds.

Rod
ragtoplvr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:22 AM   #67
goosecreek
a desk prop

Oddometer: 2,224
when my daughter was four we went to Jake day at a local pond they had stocked with trout . She caught a lovely trout only to find it half eaten when we pulled the stringer out of the pond. That made for a long ride home who knew it was my fault.
goosecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:46 PM   #68
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 30,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRP View Post
Truly WTF! I didn't know there was a hunting season for turtles.
There has been in Missouri.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:09 PM   #69
4ad
ochlacrat

Oddometer: 2,592
I just picked up a Stoeger x20 suppressed (true suppressor) breakbarrel in 22 cal for a squirrel,raccoon&possum problem in my urban backyard...its very quiet (sounds like a staple gun) after a hundred or so rounds for break-in.

I've since upgraded to a 3x12 scope w/light&laser and did a trigger mod...it now shoots quarter size 10 shot groups at 20 yds, which is my normal max shot range...couldn't be happier with it!

Old 05-11-2012, 08:01 AM   #70
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,407
I found a promo video of a guy shooting that Stoeger touting it's quietness and he was wearing ear plugs.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:49 AM   #71
Tman66
Smellin' da cow poop

Oddometer: 7,660
Gamo.

I am a squirrel sniper.

Tman66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:52 PM   #72
jiggliemon
Nobody

Oddometer: 128
i bought a rws diana 34 panther rifle about a year ago and it is a nice rifle. i got it so i could eliminate a couple of groundhogs that were wrecking my garden and rose bushes. i was too unsure of my skills to attempt to take one out last year but i did a lot of target shooting/plinking last summer/fall and honed my skills a bit. anyway, i finally took aim at my first varmint groundhog about two weeks ago and i nailed it with a head shot which lead to a clean death BUT i took aim at a second one the next day and even though i hit it in the head, it did not die right away... it was gurgling/ rasping for breath and crawling away and i had to reload and shoot it again at close range. it was not a pleasant experience... i still shudder at it. for now on i will not take aim at another critter with my air rifle... maybe i'm a pussy but it really had an affect on me. i felt so bad for that creature for those few minutes.
jiggliemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:22 PM   #73
fz6kd7
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by skovach View Post
i bought a rws diana 34 panther rifle about a year ago and it is a nice rifle. i got it so i could eliminate a couple of groundhogs that were wrecking my garden and rose bushes. i was too unsure of my skills to attempt to take one out last year but i did a lot of target shooting/plinking last summer/fall and honed my skills a bit. anyway, i finally took aim at my first varmint groundhog about two weeks ago and i nailed it with a head shot which lead to a clean death BUT i took aim at a second one the next day and even though i hit it in the head, it did not die right away... it was gurgling/ rasping for breath and crawling away and i had to reload and shoot it again at close range. it was not a pleasant experience... i still shudder at it. for now on i will not take aim at another critter with my air rifle... maybe i'm a pussy but it really had an affect on me. i felt so bad for that creature for those few minutes.
Groundhogs are too tough for air rifles
You must have made a perfect hit
fz6kd7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:55 PM   #74
Mr. B
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by fz6kd7 View Post
Groundhogs are too tough for air rifles
You must have made a perfect hit
Not true. I have done it myself.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:19 AM   #75
UnderNewOwnership
Thread Slayer

Oddometer: 3,338
If you want to poke holes in things which scream and bleed, go with 5.5 mm (.22). 4.5 mm (.177) doesn't always get the job done.
UnderNewOwnership is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: