User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2012, 02:14 PM   #1
eljaye925 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Used F800GS pricing ?

I don't know if this is appropriate here. Delete thread if necessary.

A 2010 F800GS has come up for sale in my area (Socal) that's piqued my interest. I would like some opinions on the asking price. Here are the particulars:

2500 miles, ABS, Comp, BMW panniers, heated grips, gel seat, and clear turn signals.

Asking price is $12.5K. Assuming in very good condition, is this asking price high? And is there anything specific to this bike one should look for when inspecting?

Thanks,

L.J.
eljaye925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:26 PM   #2
LewisNClark
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 966
My .02

Not that great a price...pretty close to what I paid for a new one. but you're getting bags, and tag/title/taxes erased, but loosing 2 yrs of warranty. Personally I would not want the plastic Beemer bags....just my .02 cents.

I'd offer $11,500...and keep looking, there are a lot of F800's out there.

LewisNClark screwed with this post 05-09-2012 at 02:56 PM
LewisNClark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:36 PM   #3
GH41
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 822
Thumbs down

Sounds high to me. Call your bank and ask them what they will loan you for it. The crazies here that already have one will tell you it is a good deal but to a bank it is only worth what they could sell it quick for. You probably think you will never sell it but what if you break your back, loose your job or get a divorce? I wouldn't pay that for a three year old bike. GH
GH41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:06 PM   #4
eljaye925 OP
Adventurer

I thought the price seemed high too. FWIW the panniers are aluminum. Calling the bank is a good idea...thanks for the replies
Old 05-10-2012, 08:29 AM   #5
Casejeep
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaye925 View Post
I thought the price seemed high too. FWIW the panniers are aluminum. Calling the bank is a good idea...thanks for the replies
Well your saving the money on tax. the bags are $1,000. i don't think the price is all that high, but that is what negotiation is for.

There are only 23 used F800 GS's for sale on cycle trader nation wide. To me that isn't "a lot out there".
Old 05-10-2012, 08:38 AM   #6
johnparjr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
I bought my bike new for less than that
johnparjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:39 AM   #7
johnparjr
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casejeep View Post
Well your saving the money on tax. the bags are $1,000. i don't think the price is all that high, but that is what negotiation is for.

There are only 23 used F800 GS's for sale on cycle trader nation wide. To me that isn't "a lot out there".
you pay tax to DMV on the sale
Old 05-10-2012, 08:46 AM   #8
Casejeep
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnparjr View Post
you pay tax to DMV on the sale
You do any if you put the sale price on the title. but who ever does that when doing a privet sale?
Old 05-10-2012, 11:55 AM   #9
GH41
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 822
In my state we have a $300 tax cap when buying new or used from a dealer but we are not required to collect or pay sales tax for a sale between individuals. We are charged a property tax when applying for or renewing the tag based on the value of the bike. GH
GH41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 02:17 PM   #10
eljaye925 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
You do any if you put the sale price on the title. but who ever does that when doing a privet sale?
Is it your bike for sale?
Old 05-10-2012, 02:23 PM   #11
Casejeep
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaye925 View Post
Is it your bike for sale?
Haha fuck no. I love my bike.
Old 05-11-2012, 06:51 AM   #12
Lokey
redneck

Oddometer: 252
This is how I look at buying a used bike:

First let me say that I always pay cash for my bikes. I just will not go into debit for what is essentially a toy.

Typically, the accessories on a bike add will add little value to the sale price, but I may consider them if they are what I would install anyway.

The ABS and computer are pretty much standard on new F800's, so the only "real" extras are the bags and the seat. Clear turn signals are a relatively useless farkle IMO, and I wouldn't pay any extra for them.

While I don't know what brand of seat is on it, nearly anything has to be better than the stock torture device. Bags are useful and you would probably buy some type of panniers anyway, so I would consider them as adding to the value.

That leaves what the bike is worth in your market, plus what the extras are worth to you. The bike you mention has no miles on it so that is a plus, It is two years old, which to me is still virtually new, so another plus. If a particular accessory is what I would install anyway and is still in like new shape, I might allow 1/2 the new price as added value to what I will pay.

The final decision is, of course, up to you. But I don't see that bike as being terribly over priced. One of the advantages of buying with cash is the negotiating power it gives you. If you were to walk up to the seller and offer him less than he's asking for it and you have the $ in your hand, it makes it a lot harder for them to say no.

I recently bought a 2011 F800GS with 1133 miles on it and about $1000 in farkles. I still wound up spending another $2300 on things I wanted. I paid $10,750 for the bike and $500 to have it shipped here. Add the farkles I installed and I have over $13,500 in it.

Still, compared to what it would have cost me if I would have bought it new from a dealer, and then added the extras, I feel I got a decent deal when I bought it.

P.S. I love my bike and am very happy with it.
Lokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:22 AM   #13
8thdwarf
perfect,just perfect

Oddometer: 122
my .02.... i picked up a used 2010 w/9k on the clock for 10750.00 it had alumminum panniers, driving lights, crash bars, exhaust, new michlens front and back, and mapping control added. still has 15 months of warranty left. pricy but WTF....
8thdwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:43 AM   #14
johnparjr
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
CA DMV is now looking up the Avg price for bikes that are sold to get what they can the days of $1 or whatever are at an end