Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2012, 01:23 PM   #46
DirtyDR OP
Dana

Oddometer: 2,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroker View Post
Dana, I contacted Maple Tire, a Vredenstien dealer in Ct, and was told that these tires are discontinued...any ideas?
David,
Sorry but I must have missed this post, I am really not ignoring you. I am guessing by now you have picked up some more information on where to get these though.

Are you looking for a nice tire for your trip through Colorado on the way to and from Coeur d'Alene?
99 Rokon Ranger
71 Rokon RT140

Hack'n the TLH
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=592860

http://dirtydr.smugmug.com/

Proud Member of the Patrol Patrol
DirtyDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:06 AM   #47
BMWzenrider
The Road Scholar

Oddometer: 1,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondox View Post
I see several of the Kumho out there in AZ, but nothing about shipping on their webpage. I'll call tomorrow. Thanks for the info.
Pete
Be aware that the Kumho 758 was discontinued at least 2 years ago, so any stock of those are going to be at least 2-3 year old tires, and getting older sitting in the Arizona heat...

Many tire industry experts believes that most tires should not be run that are more than 6 years old.

Other countries actually have expiration dates for tires, but not here in the USA...
Buyer beware!

video platform
video management
video solutions
video player
2002 BMW R1150RA
In Memoriam: Harley, 1993-2010 You will be missed.

BMWzenrider screwed with this post 02-29-2012 at 01:02 AM
BMWzenrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:42 AM   #48
mightymatt43
URALiNEED

Oddometer: 475
Just Ordered.

I just ordered a couple of the Snow+ tires to take down to South America to replace the straight street tires that we have on our rig right now. Really could have used the extra traction in Patagonia.

After a few fruitless emails back and forth to Premier Tire Terminal in Denver (I have been out of the country since a couple days ago) I called this morning and was able to make an order. The shipping from Denver to San Antonio, TX was $65 and the tires were $99.68/tire. Not cheap but there are not a lot of options in this size.

Anyway, it looks like another successful order from Premier Tire Terminal for those looking for the Snow+. Just make sure you call as opposed to trying to order by email.
mightymatt43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:49 AM   #49
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,881
Matt -- I took my rig to Max BMW last Friday for some warranty work. It snowed on me most of the way back home (170 miles) but didn't stick till the very end. I had an Oh crap moment when I reached the bottom of my steep hill and saw two inches of slush on the ground. The Vredestein Snow+ handled it just fine.
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Boondox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:56 PM   #50
mightymatt43
URALiNEED

Oddometer: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondox View Post
Matt -- I took my rig to Max BMW last Friday for some warranty work. It snowed on me most of the way back home (170 miles) but didn't stick till the very end. I had an Oh crap moment when I reached the bottom of my steep hill and saw two inches of slush on the ground. The Vredestein Snow+ handled it just fine.
Nice! That's what I'm looking for - a bit more confidence in my tire. It will be pain to get it down to Chile but I think it will be worth it in the end. Thanks for posting your own experience...
mightymatt43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:44 PM   #51
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,274
After seeing Matt's "order" post with Premier Tire (http://www.premiertire.com) in Denver for a Vredestein 165SR/15 M&S.... ordered some more in case they run out. Got em'..they're on the way. Since we don't have "snow" where I live I use them mainly for dirt trail/grass/mud,etc. $99 Buckeroos for a single; $25 buckeroos shipping to NC.

Be aware that they will do just fine on "most" terrains except going up steep loose gravel roads/slimy mud, loose rocks, etc....most all regular tires don't do well anyhow on these steep slopes. So take caution...turn off your ABS!

Cheers...
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:18 AM   #52
Nsfrt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Thumbs down Lifetime

I also have a first experience with Vredestein Show+ tires:

Trip length: 1000km (621 miles)
Trip duration: 3 days
Temperature: 15 - 20 C (59 - 68 F)
Average speed: approx 70 km/h (43,5 miles/hour)
95% pavement
Hack: R1100GS
Hack loaded with: approx 170 kg (375lb)
Tire dimension: 155R15
Original pattern depth: 9,2 mm
After the trip pattern depth front tire: 8,7 mm
After the trip pattern depth front tire: 8,3 mm
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Predicted lifetime of the Vredestein Snow+ tire:
Front tire: 18.400 km (11.400 miles)
Rear tire: 10.200 km (6.300 miles)

Under conditions, that the pattern is worn completely at the end of lifetime and the wear rate is constant over the complete lifetime.

I must say, that I have expected longer lifetime. I do not expect constant wear rate, which will result in better lifetime than 10.200 km. But on the other hand, who will wear the tire completely to the 0.0 mm pattern depth.

Conclusion: I am disappointed with this tire.

What are your experiences with this tire regarding lifetime?
Nsfrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:26 PM   #53
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Oh, sure 95% pavement will eat this tire like candy. It's a snow/mud tire so it will wear faster on pavements where one goes 70 mph. Mine is intended to be used mostly on dirt roads and occassional pavement on the way to trails.. If I get at least 6000 miles out of it..I'm happy- compared to the rear Tourance from which I got only 3000+.

Cheers...
Old 05-10-2012, 02:42 PM   #54
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Vredesteins..

Another new Vredie...

Going a bit offroad so decided to get another Vredie M/S and put the Nexen which is on the sidecar in abeyance. Now the sidecar and pusher will both sport identical Vredies. Should the pushers Vredie erase it's treads quickly then can always swap the sidecars with the newer Vredie which hardly ever wears down.

Nexen on the left....Vredestein M/S on the right..

Notice that the Vredie has a higher load index than the similar 165/15 nexen.

Nexen-LD 80=992#
Vredestein-LD 86=1168#

Also be mindful of the manufacturing date of the tire: Here.. ..DOT DVTB VMW (4511) = 4/5/11 which is a one year old tire, pretty fresh!

I don't think that you ever need a 990# load index in the rear . So both the Nexen and Vredie are just fine only that the Vredie will have better traction in the "bad" stuff than the Nexen.

So Amigos..roll on and get your Vredies now before the slow boat from Holland won't bring another batch of em' !

Cheers...

Abenteuerfahrer screwed with this post 05-10-2012 at 06:45 PM
Old 05-11-2012, 06:16 AM   #55
DirtyDR OP
Dana

Oddometer: 2,209
About time for me to pull the Vredestein off of the GS rig and put a new Nexen on for Alaska. I wouldn't mind the Vredestein up there but I don't think there would be much left of it after the asphalt haul to get there besides I have a TKC 80 on the stock rear wheel for a spare if the road gets too nasty.

99 Rokon Ranger
71 Rokon RT140

Hack'n the TLH
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=592860

http://dirtydr.smugmug.com/

Proud Member of the Patrol Patrol
DirtyDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:01 AM   #56
bmweuro
Mad Scientist

Oddometer: 3,313
I have over 100k miles on Vredestein-tires and I have to say they are the best wearing and super off road. I had a really hard time getting them 2 years ago.
VBMWMO #7770, BMW MOA #48694 & Airhead BMW Club #600
bmweuro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:28 AM   #57
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmweuro View Post
I have over 100k miles on Vredestein-tires and I have to say they are the best wearing and super off road. I had a really hard time getting them 2 years ago.
You mean you got 100,000 miles not Km on the Vredestein M/S or the standard street Vredestein? If so..wooo..you da Man What's your secret in this longevity.