Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Trials
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2012, 07:05 AM   #1
Jonny042 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
2 or even 3 bikes in a 4x6 v-nose trailer?

Can it be done? Or, I should ask, how much dissassembly might be required?

I would like to buy a trailer and a 4 x 6 v nose would be a lot easier to store, wheel around by hand, etc. plus fuel mileage vs. a 5 x 8 and I could even tow a 4 x 6 with my '87 911. (if it had a hitch.....)

Most often I would have one bike in it so no problem but there are occasions when I like to have a friend or two along for the ride.
Jonny042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:42 PM   #2
broncobowsher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,272
I have to ask about the "V" part.
4' wide should give 2' of depth to the "V".
So when you say 4x6, is the 6 to the front of the "V" or is it 6' + 2' of tapering floor space in the "V"?

I am going to presume it is 6+2 in length (as 4 wide x 4+2=6 overall would be a funny looking trailer)
Second question is how pristine do you want the bikes to ship? If a little rubbing here and there is fine I think you could get 3 bikes in easy enough. 2 pointing in with the front wheel turned into the tip of the "V" along the walls. Third backed in. Lot really depends on how well you can pack as well.

I have a trailer that is 88" inside diminsion. Straight in I have a fair amount of room behind the rear tire. Without actually loading it up and putting a tape measure to it I will say I need 80" from front wall to back wall. Keep in mind this is a straight wheel measurement, turning the front wheel to lock can take a lot off of this. But I don't think you can shrink it under the 6' mark.

As far as a 911 towing, I live less then a mile from the VW test track. I still remember see what I first thought was a box van following a 911 very closly. I was wrong, it was a 911 towing a HUGE enclosed trailer. A plenty of room to walk around inside sized trailer. Not saying you should do that, just what I have seen running down the road by my house going back to the grounds.
broncobowsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:58 AM   #3
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer: 3,429
Tie up the foot pegs and you can get bikes very close.
AteamNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:52 AM   #4
Rainmaster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
Not my 911 but trailering can be done.......

Trailer is a South Sport Tire Trailer. I don't think you can still buy them new.

Rainmaster screwed with this post 05-07-2012 at 06:09 AM
Rainmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:04 AM   #5
Jonny042 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Pulled the trigger on a 5 x 8 trailer today - not sure that it will ever find a home behind the 911 - maybe too large. But for now it will tag along the Trialblazer no problem!!

Colorado here we come!
Jonny042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:34 AM   #6
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,253
We put our bikes in a 14 or is it 16ft vnose featerlight, we put them in at an angle, front wheel on left side of trailer rear to right side, you have to move the bike around to get it this way, I get more bikes in this way, using up less room, when needed. Wish I had some picture of it, we only carry max of 4 bikes and it was a while back, as we built a bunk bed in the back, and can only haul 1 maybe 2 bikes now. But when we didnt have the bunks, we have a lot more of the front area to rest & dress and store our crap... be creative with shelving and HOOKS, dont forget hooks and towel bars and more hooks, and carry rope, lol... so you can hang stuff up to dry... every time we go Im looking for more places to hang stuff, especially when wet out, lol.
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:11 PM   #7
Ross Brown
One AU out

Oddometer: 68
I have a 6X4 box trailer and there is no 'V' nose. Buying a standard garden trailer, that happens to be adapted to carry trials bikes, was easier to sell-in to the wife too. I have to turn my trailer sideways to store it in my driveway so a 7x4 would be too long and/or a single removable drawbar was not what I wanted (rattles and not as rigid).

The trailer has a standard box front with two "U" shape welded to a cross bar that locate the front wheel. But on a 6x4 the rear of the bike does overhand the back of the trailer so I could not use the standard tail gate when carrying a bike; which was a pain as things like muddy boots after a trial couldn't be carried as they'd fall out the back.

The 6x4 trailer 'before' shot. Note bike is longer than the trailer ( a problem )

After. Here's the solution use the extra length of the bike to its advantage by building a custom tailgate (to replace the open-end plus loading ramp) that holds the tyre. The 6x4 trailer now holds two forward-facing bikes securely with no tie-downs required at the rear of the bikes.

Ross Brown screwed with this post 05-10-2012 at 10:26 PM
Ross Brown is offline   Reply With Quote