Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2012, 05:35 AM   #76
bokad
Difficult Child

Oddometer: 395
I had never heard of or seen a Ural until a few months ago when I was in Russia and a friend sent me a link for the "The Ice Run", (www.theadventurists.com/the-adventures/ice-run) a proposed winter rally across northern Russia with original Urals. This is from the same people that put together the hugely awesome Rickshaw Run and Mongol Rally. As soon as I saw it there was a deep primal urge inside of me that said "I want that!". Over the next few days I was consumed with reading, searching, and watching everything I could find about that. When I realized they made new and improved ones my urge groaned "I want that now now!". I began Ural spotting. Although I had never seen one before (or probably seen and never registered), I began to seem them EVERYWHERE. These Urals were never moving though... From the train, in people's yards, parked next to matching Lada's, in my GF's fathers photo albums... Then my GF told me that her Dad had a Ural (acquired new in trade for a forest gathered ton of pine nuts) when she was a kid and she used to ride in the side car.

blah blah blah blah blah...

I ignored everyone's advice and decided to absolutely get one. Beyond the coolness factor (which is sizable), the main thing was to be able to travel with GF and carry enough stuff for us to be comfortable.

I returned to the US. Checked out a few dealers, and bought one a week later.

Hilarity, adventure, and frustation followed. I love and hate my Ural.

It took many months to write this post, I've been busy riding my Ural.

Inspiring picture from The Adventurists. Snow boarding behind a Ural is still on my bucket list!

Is that a Ural? Spotted from the train near Novosibirsk.

Ural spotting in Abakan, Khakassia

Bland blue, it matches the car and the apartment!

GF's dad on his Ural "back in the day"

My new Ural and the first trip

Attention seeking behavior.
bokad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:45 AM   #77
oppozit
Banned

Oddometer: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokad View Post

Is that a Ural? Spotted from the train near Novosibirsk.
It's an IZH (ИЖ) a two-stroke 350 either a single based on the DKW NZ 350 or a twin loosely based on an Adler but with Yamaha involvement.
oppozit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:55 AM   #78
Razinski
Kick-It

Oddometer: 19
Nih

Many, many moons ago we wanted to go to the moon. We did. Then we needed something to write with up there. A pen was designed by us that could write in zero gravity! Millions of dollars was spent on designing this amazing new pen! The Russians, well .... they just took a pencil. Point is "Slow is Smooth and Smooth is Fast, KISS"
Razinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:03 AM   #79
Montague
UDF Adventurer

Oddometer: 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razinski View Post
Many, many moons ago we wanted to go to the moon. We did. Then we needed something to write with up there. A pen was designed by us that could write in zero gravity! Millions of dollars was spent on designing this amazing new pen! The Russians, well .... they just took a pencil. Point is "Slow is Smooth and Smooth is Fast, KISS"

Good one, I like this reasoning!

So I guess the swarf that I clean off my magnetic oil plugs on each Ural oil change are an analog to the pencil shavings floating around the Soviet capsule?
Montague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:07 AM   #80
4PawsHacienda
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 469
It takes a sense of humor.

Reaching the point in my life where I have more and more time on my hands, finally!
Been dreaming about a hack for a while, something different to ride and play with in addition to the street bike. Ran some numbers and built a few spreadsheets to compare prices. Looking at used bikes and adding a new sidecar plus all the farkles I wanted got kinda expensive. Been hearing about Urals for a while but dismissed them - they're Russian for crying out loud!
Discovered their owners are passionate about them. Did some more research.......... things started to look better. Simple, no plastic, devoted user base, good warranty. Basic maintenance skills adequate. What the hell, bought one - Retro. I liked the styling - grumpy old man. Added then removed a Garmin GPS, just couldn't stand the idea of 21st century technology on the Ural so I mounted a compass in it's place - I'm easily amused.
Fun. Caught myself laughing out loud while riding more than once.
I'm hooked. GS is gathering dust in the garage. Between the dog in the sidecar and the bike itself I'm having a hard time remaining an introvert. Good country road cruiser, convenient for grocery shopping too. We'll see what happens after she's broken in completely but I've got my heart set on the long way to Thunder Bay. Just planning on enjoying the ride and seeing the sights along the way.
4PawsHacienda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:28 AM   #81
Heyload
Remastered Classic

Oddometer: 7,469
*sigh*....just a little longer.....just a little longer....just a little longer...

When life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
Heyload is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:18 PM   #82
oppozit
Banned

Oddometer: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razinski View Post
Yet another urban legend that refuses to die - http://urbanlegends.about.com/librar...ravity_pen.htm
oppozit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:07 PM   #83
backdaddy
FDNY never forget

Oddometer: 32
I seen adds and read some articles thought they looked pretty cool. Saw my 1st one in person at work about 2008, the quality looked better than I imagined. I'm like "hey this has kiehin carbs". A few months later he gave me a ride in it and let me ride it around in 1st gear.
BIG mistake, I bought a snowmobile and 1/2 an airplane this way. I started shopping and just couldn't get past the 12-13k price. Well 2 years latter I sold my 1/2 of the plane and spent some time on the internet shopping. Found a 2010 Gear Up for 10k with 3300k on it. Had to buy it, too good a deal to pass up. Figured I could break even if I didn't like it.
Well it gets ridin way more than my other bikes. Its crude, slow, and makes some real interesting mechanical noises for not much acceleration. I shouldn't like it but it makes me smile.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:29 AM   #84
Razinski
Kick-It

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by oppozit View Post
Yet another urban legend that refuses to die - http://urbanlegends.about.com/librar...ravity_pen.htm
Still a pretty cool legend though!
Razinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:01 PM   #85
ivel_86
Oops

Oddometer: 691
Well before I could have ever afforded a new bike my father showed me a couple of Urals and we talked and said how cool it would be but heard horror stories about them. Than I went down to terry Crawford's shop and he took me for a ride. basically sold on the idea just didn't have the money for one what with all of my other toys and what not. But my father passed away in a motorcycle accident and when he did I was able to pay off my bills so I figured I should go back into dept to buy another bike. Now I would trade it all to have my father back but every time I see my Ural I am reminded on how awesome of a father I was blessed with and the stories and day dreams we had together years ago about these awesome bikes and how I plan on doing all of those wacky things we dreamed about doing.
OEF 12
ivel_86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:02 PM   #86
capuett
Scrambunctious Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
2011 Ural Patrol T for Sale

Get started now on your story of "How did you end up on a Ural?" I reluctantly have mine up for sale; please see pics and more info at:

http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2...10501890?FLUSH=&
capuett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:37 AM   #87
llirttoc
Ural Life

Oddometer: 181
Thanks Mr. COB!!

I discovered the ural while lurking on ADVrider. Mr. Cob kept posting pics and vids of his antics on his gear up. After going to Crawfords and seeing my first Ural in person back in '05 I had to have one. Bought a new Patrol in '07. Thanks again you Crazy Old Bastard

always pursuing the ghost of rationality
'07 Ural Patrol
llirttoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:37 PM   #88
msblu79
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Back in '08/09ish Ural ads started appearing in "Cycle World" magazine which I subscribe too. After seeing them a few times I decided to go to their website which in turn led me to Youtube where the Discovery Channel, Mr.Cob, Indian Bill, and many, many others had posted videos of all their onroad/offroad antics etc. and became very interested as I like to ride off-road but also wanted to take my wife along comfortably(she is 64) and share the experience, sights, and fun I had been enjoying riding my solo enduro bikes all these years alone. When I saw that they were 2WD and off-road capable I had to have one. I contacted Adk Ural in late 2010 and arranged to buy a Black Patrol 2WD model. We have 33,000kms. on it already and love it, we have a blast hitting all the trails & backroads. We both still work and work at the same factory (20 miles each way) so on nice days we ride into work together as well. Wish I had done it years ago.
msblu79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:35 AM   #89
muzhik
n00b

Oddometer: 1
I was visiting the Philippines in ’08 and fell in love with sidecars. What a perfect rig for running errands around town I though. So upon returning home I searched for a bike to add a sidecar to. Ended up with ’72 CB250 that I had great plans for. Well it sat in the shop and I never did get around to building a sidecar for it. The summer of ‘011 I ran across this thing called a Ural as I was researching hacks. WOW! How perfect is this. No need to trailer the 4 wheelers to the mountains. The wife and kid can ride together with me. The lab and I can take off chucker hunting from our door step. I can carry as much gear as I can strap on to it. What’s not to like? So I started combing craigslist for a used one. A year later I gave up on the used idea and decided to spend the extra money on a new rig. Ordered a ‘012 GU on September 13th last year. Well it’s a long story but a ‘013 GU was delivery to my house this spring on March 13th. That was the first time I ever seen a Ural in person. Having a blast and couldn’t be happier with it!!!
muzhik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:42 AM   #90
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzhik View Post
I was visiting the Philippines in ’08 and fell in love with sidecars. What a perfect rig for running errands around town I though. So upon returning home I searched for a bike to add a sidecar to. Ended up with ’72 CB250 that I had great plans for. Well it sat in the shop and I never did get around to building a sidecar for it. The summer of ‘011 I ran across this thing called a Ural as I was researching hacks. WOW! How perfect is this. No need to trailer the 4 wheelers to the mountains. The wife and kid can ride together with me. The lab and I can take off chucker hunting from our door step. I can carry as much gear as I can strap on to it. What’s not to like? So I started combing craigslist for a used one. A year later I gave up on the used idea and decided to spend the extra money on a new rig. Ordered a ‘012 GU on September 13th last year. Well it’s a long story but a ‘013 GU was delivery to my house this spring on March 13th. That was the first time I ever seen a Ural in person. Having a blast and couldn’t be happier with it!!!
Fixed that for ya - can't see black on dark grey background
JustKip is online now   Reply With Quote