Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2011, 04:43 PM   #61
jet987
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
What is the empty weight of a Givi TRK33N? I can't find this anywhere.
jet987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 12:21 PM   #62
swellguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
This is my first post but I thought I'd use it to offer my recent firsthand experience with the Givi Trekker cases.

I have a 2001 stock 1150 gs and have been using the stock BMW sides cases for my needs which were essentially commuting via highway and ferry between Victoria and Vancouver BC over the last number of years. I've recently remarried and had done done some touring with my wife on my Electra Glide, but those were essentially straight line trips, some curvy highways but seldom a gravel road. Our life now sort of limits us to more week long local travel of the BC interior or Vancouver Island where the Harley was simply too big, heavy, loud, uneconomical and really not capable of backroad travel we'd like to pursue.

Having sold the Harley and shuttering at the thought of spending nearly $4000 on BMW luggage, I went past a local Twisted Throttle dealer saw the Givi and Trax luggage options. I was told that sw-motech did not have a bracket setup for their panniers to fit my bike, but Givi did. Somewhat inspired by a couple of photos in Givi's literature:

I thought that this would be a good, cost effective upgrade (I realize it's a 1200). Having used ABS cases for a number of years I wasn't put off by the Givi material and since I see them everywhere these days, I ordered a set (2 large, one medium) as pictured above.

The dealer gave me a break on the installation charges but I should have perked up when I heard him mention this had been the first bmw he had worked on. The top box plates and pannier rack went on fine but when everything came together, there was clearly a problem in that the top box bracket that sat flush with the rear frame rack left the top box without enough clearance for the side bags. In a bit of hurried work, the installer jimmied this so everything would fit:

After some time, I came away feeling like the back end of my bike looked like a pack mule on an old west trail:

I was told this a temporary fix until I got back when the "correct" Givi mount system would be available. So my wife and I went on a three day trip to Galiano Island with bike as it sat. When we arrived, the lock on the large side bag wouldn't open. Naturally this was the case that had our meds in it. I spent several hours on the phone with Givi tech support where they suggested something might have become pinched in the top and bottom join or that I should apply varying degrees of pressure on different points of the bag to relieve stress on the lock so it might open. None of this worked and it was a bit frustrating to be told that I must have overstuffed the case . . . especially since it was only half full at the time. I was finally obliged to force the case open with a screw driver to get my meds, but this left the bag locked to the rack for the rest of our trip and not able to close without being strapped shut:

Throughout the rest of our three day trip, the other two bag's lock mechanisms continued to stick, the key would require fiddling, even WD-40 a time or two helped. All the while, the entire bike rode far more top heavy than I had been accustomed to and I assumed that when I got back, any kind of solution Givi had would have brought the weight of everything lower.

To confirm my beliefs, once I returned home, I removed the smaller side bag and with a still-attached empty right hand bag, my bike fell over while on its center stand. Givi responded to my complaints by offering to fix or replace the broken bag and use the "correct" top box mounting plate:

It became clear that I was still going to be faced with having a luggage setup that was going to create a bike that was too top heavy and dangerous. I told the dealer I was bringing everything back. The Western Canada rep for Givi came to my house and for two hours we talked about the situation. He was surprised that the large cases were being marketed as side cases and a bit shocked that you could even configure such a system from their website. In his words, "those bags aren't meant for side use". He was also a bit concerned by the construction technique of the pannier racks that simply used butt welds instead of more stable joins.

The Givi rep encouraged me to take everything back for a refund which is exactly what I'm going to do.

Update: I took everything back, the Givi distributor left me high and dry despite his promises of a refund and the dealer pleaded innocence since he said he was stuck with used inventory. I sued him in small claims but eventually settled on about 65 on the dollar.

swellguy screwed with this post 05-18-2012 at 05:15 PM
swellguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 12:53 PM   #63
Karbono
Rookie GSer

Oddometer: 336
Wow. What a story. I'll start by saying my top case hasn't given me any problems whatsoever.

Funny that I once planned to buy another 52 liter to put on the side, since I read somewhere they were supposed to be mounted that way on bikes that were asymmetrical. Since I saw two 33 liters side-mounted on an f800 I changed my mind.

I'm still planning to buy another two 33 liters.

Good to know Givi support worked great, though!
Karbono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 08:38 AM   #64
RomaDakota
ROYGBIV

Oddometer: 1,267
For some reason I really liked the looks of these boxes right off. Been thinking about one for a while. I don't ride around town or commute to work with my side BMW adventure bags and have been using a Touratech pillon soft bag. I needed something more for grocery store stops etc. Back to thinking about a Trekker. I did not like the black plastic SR689 Givi mount and found the SR692 on the internet which is aluminum and matches the R1200GS nicely.
Could not locate the SR692 in the US so I order on eBay from a seller (2nd-gear) in Canada and ordered the smaller 33L Trekker from Twisted Throttle. They both arrive a week later however Twisted sent me the larger 46L. Back to Twisted with the 46L and they told me the 33L was backorder. Why they listed it as a special sale with a reduced price when none is stock is a bit of a mystery to me. Anyway, back to 2nd-gear in Canada for the 33L; arrived fine 5-6 days later.
As far as a top-box goes, I really like the look of the mount both with box off and box on. I like the look of the Trekker and the silver/black matches up with the R1200GS wonderfully; it complements and matches almost exactly with the silver/black front side panels. Box is working fine so far and the option of complete open/partial open is useful. No plans for offroading with this box, only commuting and for tripping, I plan on removing the Trekker and going only with the BMW side boxes (one reason I wanted a nicer looking mount).
Old 09-16-2011, 06:57 AM   #65
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,655
NEVER squirt WD-40 into a lock! Never! Use a graphite lock lubricant instead. WD leaves behind a goo that fouls up the lock. You can make a locksmith cry by telling him you put WD-40 into a lock.
Smugmug Coupon: mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 07:14 AM   #66
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
NEVER squirt WD-40 into a lock! Never! Use a graphite lock lubricant instead. WD leaves behind a goo that fouls up the lock. You can make a locksmith cry by telling him you put WD-40 into a lock.

What he said.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 01:35 AM   #67
swellguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karbono View Post
Wow. What a story. . . .Good to know Givi support worked great, though!
Givi has not refunded my money and claims that I might have to settle for a reduced price store credit based on the fact the bags were not in new condition when returned. So if you have dealings with 2Nd Gear Motorsports in Coquitlam BC, they apparently do not have a satisfaction guaranteed policy.
swellguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:31 PM   #68
RomaDakota
ROYGBIV

Oddometer: 1,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet987 View Post
What is the empty weight of a Givi TRK33N? I can't find this anywhere.
10.5 pounds; empty, not including rack.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:56 PM   #69
swellguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
Thanks for that. Of course, I thought of myself as fortunate when Givi technical support suggested I do so and I had some with me.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:18 AM   #70
klingklang
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
is somebody got the new 52 liter trekker top case. I wrote to givi usa to ask some more extended dims and they wrote back with which like an automated message. : for any warranty issue and.... bla bla bla , contact your dealer in canada. Crappp. I'de like to fit my X-lite 551 upright and totaly on the side. I actualy can't because of the rounded shape of my case. Not efficient when you need to put it in the middle. It was not a problem with my previous helmet because it was a normal full face and the 551 is a dual sport.
klingklang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:22 AM   #71
birdie_xx
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 743
The 52L Trekker dimensions ..

As per the GIVI website, the depth of the case is 31.5 cm http://giviusa.com/cases-top-case/mo...TRK52N-TREKKER

That should be around 12.4"....

Cheers,
birdie_xx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:14 AM   #72
klingklang
Gnarly Adventurer

I know, depth wont be a problem. They give an overal dim on ther website. But the case has a weird trapesiod shape, narrow on the front. Also, their is a huge slope a the bottom perimeter that reduce the base surface as hell. I just want to know if I can put my helmets like this picture. Because of the longer jaw of ADV helmets, I can't now. Probably will need to wait and see one in store sometimes.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:21 PM   #73
birdie_xx
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 743
Sorry , I misunderstood ....If they won't fit like in the photo, then you can probably lay them sideways.
birdie_xx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:54 AM   #74
klingklang
Gnarly Adventurer

same problem sideway, the visor take some place too and the bluetooth adaptor on the side...... I'm asking myself, you're doing a cases for dual sport and you did not figure out if arai XD, shoei hornet or fit how they should fit. I did not the bottom aslo. Im my actual case, there is a huge bulge in the buttom for the fixation mecanism. It remove about 1 inche in depth...
Old 08-03-2012, 07:27 AM   #75
zimm
KTM

Oddometer: 136
The Trekker 52N is finally available in North America. I just got one on ebay coming in from Canada. The US dealers should have them really soon.

Gone: '89 Honda Hawk GT650, '98 Honda VTR1000F, 2007 BMW R1200S, 2008 Harley Night Rod Special, 2007 Yamaha FZ1, 2008 KTM 300XC-W(e), 2008 KTM 690 SMC
zimm is offline   Reply With Quote