ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-23-2012, 07:58 PM   #5221
Skyclad
Original Bastard
 
Skyclad's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Moran Nation, confused as a baby in a topless bar
Oddometer: 5,563
I just received the latest issue of ADVMoto magazine. Nice interview with our hero. Five pages for Ned...only six pages for Despres and Coma combined!
__________________
Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.
cancer
For some, a glue stick would be a better option than Chapstick
Skyclad's Wanderings - Bald Eagle Bastards - The Mountains are Calling, and I Must Go
KCCO
Skyclad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:33 AM   #5222
mark5280
Lost on purpose
 
mark5280's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Peoples Republic of Boulder
Oddometer: 82
What issue is this in? I got onto my ADVMoto account last night and the most recent I found was the March 03, 2012 version. Is there something newer that isn't showing up yet?

Thanks!

Mark
__________________
aka 'Ferg
Director of Marketing
Rocky Mountain Adventure Riders
www.rmariders.org
mark5280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:59 PM   #5223
Skyclad
Original Bastard
 
Skyclad's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Moran Nation, confused as a baby in a topless bar
Oddometer: 5,563
The cover lists it as May/June.
__________________
Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.
cancer
For some, a glue stick would be a better option than Chapstick
Skyclad's Wanderings - Bald Eagle Bastards - The Mountains are Calling, and I Must Go
KCCO
Skyclad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:31 PM   #5224
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer
 
beechum1's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Not home in Tijuana
Oddometer: 8,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilslamer View Post
And when I'd find a feature that I'd described in the van on the way out there, we'd stop and confer on it:
I think you said... "witches night" as a feature to watch out for. What DID you say, and what is it?
__________________
Rally Moto Kit /// Vendor Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdutchman177 View Post
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:41 PM   #5225
pfdskipper
Westside Trash
 
pfdskipper's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Litchfield Park, Az
Oddometer: 1,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
I think you said... "witches night" as a feature to watch out for. What DID you say, and what is it?

I believe you are referring to a witches eye. Those are circular little depressions that suddenly appear, seemingly randomly in the high dunes. They are also in the lower dunes as well although less frequently found,,, if I recall correctly.

They will ruin your day if you ride straight into one.

Hilslamers overview was pretty spot on as I recall.
pfdskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:54 PM   #5226
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer
 
beechum1's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Not home in Tijuana
Oddometer: 8,099
THanks. I have that post bookmarked, and was going back to check it out.
__________________
Rally Moto Kit /// Vendor Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdutchman177 View Post
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 02:03 PM   #5227
pfdskipper
Westside Trash
 
pfdskipper's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Litchfield Park, Az
Oddometer: 1,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
THanks. I have that post bookmarked, and was going back to check it out.
You will often find those little bastards on the opposite side of peaked ridges (downwind), usually where two or more ridge lines come together. But they can be in the oddest places.
pfdskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 02:11 PM   #5228
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer
 
beechum1's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Not home in Tijuana
Oddometer: 8,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfdskipper View Post
You will often find those little bastards on the opposite side of peaked ridges (downwind), usually where two or more ridge lines come together. But they can be in the oddest places.
I've seen a few vids already where they could be in the saddles as well....
__________________
Rally Moto Kit /// Vendor Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdutchman177 View Post
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 03:43 PM   #5229
pfdskipper
Westside Trash
 
pfdskipper's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Litchfield Park, Az
Oddometer: 1,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
I've seen a few vids already where they could be in the saddles as well....

two or more ridglines coming together= saddle
pfdskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 04:11 PM   #5230
Deadly99
Fast and Far
 
Deadly99's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Merrickville, Canada
Oddometer: 8,967
Less than a month before your up in Canada doing your presentation. Now that the mayhem is over I look forward to hearing your take on the race.

Stoked to catch up and ride together, cya soon
__________________
Tales From The Bivouac Rally Print Publications

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)


Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:46 PM   #5231
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer
 
beechum1's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Not home in Tijuana
Oddometer: 8,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfdskipper View Post
two or more ridglines coming together= saddle
Why you gotta bring up old S*?
__________________
Rally Moto Kit /// Vendor Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdutchman177 View Post
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 02:26 AM   #5232
wilkinsonk
Riff Raff
 
wilkinsonk's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Sanford, NC
Oddometer: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfdskipper View Post
I believe you are referring to a witches eye. Those are circular little depressions that suddenly appear, seemingly randomly in the high dunes. They are also in the lower dunes as well although less frequently found,,, if I recall correctly.

They will ruin your day if you ride straight into one.

Hilslamers overview was pretty spot on as I recall.
I'm still running head on into these as I gain more experience in the dunes here and I've lost count of the number of really bad bruises across the tops of my thighs where I've struck the bars on my way over the front. Since the sand on the down slope into an eye is so soft I usually go from all ahead full to a dead stop in the blink of an eye. This always makes for a funny Go-Pro vid that I promptly delete!

An I agree, Hilslamer's overview was excellent and has proven very helpful.

- Ken
wilkinsonk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:55 AM   #5233
hilslamer
2XRedheadedstepchild
 
hilslamer's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Chch, EnZed
Oddometer: 1,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
I think you said... "witches night" as a feature to watch out for. What DID you say, and what is it?
See below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfdskipper View Post
I believe you are referring to a witches eye.
Correct. I'm sure if you dug into the USGS literature on dunes and dune formation, you'd find a geologically correct term for it, but local slang in the ISDRA/Glamis area is "witch's eye." They are named such because when viewed from above, they look like an eyesocket/brow and in general, they are pretty evil features to deal with from any angle, at any speed and in most any dune-able vehicle.


Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinsonk View Post
I'm still running head on into these as I gain more experience in the dunes here and I've lost count of the number of really bad bruises across the tops of my thighs where I've struck the bars on my way over the front. Since the sand on the down slope into an eye is so soft I usually go from all ahead full to a dead stop in the blink of an eye. This always makes for a funny Go-Pro vid that I promptly delete!
Shame on you for deleting! Share, so we can critique(constructively) and use you as an example.
hilslamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:08 AM   #5234
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer
 
beechum1's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Not home in Tijuana
Oddometer: 8,099
Vid's please. other than just doing it, dunes are my final frontier that I'd really like to study up on before really going out. Those vids you did Hilslamer, were great, thanks so much.
__________________
Rally Moto Kit /// Vendor Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdutchman177 View Post
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:53 AM   #5235
hilslamer
2XRedheadedstepchild
 
hilslamer's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Chch, EnZed
Oddometer: 1,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
Vid's please. other than just doing it, dunes are my final frontier that I'd really like to study up on before really going out. Those vids you did Hilslamer, were great, thanks so much.
Cheers!
hilslamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014