ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2012, 02:57 PM   #1126
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinRidin View Post
Any one use 89 octane with no issues?

I do, no issues.
wpbarlow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:10 AM   #1127
digger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Radiator guards

Does anyone know where to buy the aluminum radiator guards for the SE .Looked all over no one seems to have them.Thanks
Old 05-12-2012, 06:58 AM   #1128
charlie264
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,490
? Rear rack bolts, what torque?

Old 05-12-2012, 04:53 PM   #1129
veetwo _tls
RENOVATIO:

Oddometer: 1,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by digger View Post
Does anyone know where to buy the aluminum radiator guards for the SE .Looked all over no one seems to have them.Thanks
http://www.radguard.com.au/categories/KTM/

MY07 950 SER
veetwo _tls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 12:39 AM   #1130
The Bigfella
Big Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,506
I'm having a few braking problems... about as far away from a KTM dealer as I've ever been. I fitted new pads front and rear last week btw.

First up... I've got zero rear brake left. The master cylinder started dripping a week ago after a drastic emergency braking application (little kid ran across 4 lanes).... I certainly over-braked. I did a hard ride yesterday and lost pedal towards the end. I'd fitted a seal kit to this not long before I left on my current trip... and I'm going to need another. We (local mechanic) bled it today and I think he's got fluid on the pads... as I've got nothing happening at all when I jump on the rear brake. Nothing. I'll try a new set of pads and see how it goes.

The front brakes are shocking... I can pull the lever to the handlebars.... and I can do that at 140 and keep it there... and things slow down but not very well relative to what it used to be like. (reminds me of the scooter I had in Vietnam, where rolling off the throttle slowed you more than applying the brake). We bled it as well and he mechanic thinks there's something wrong in the master cylinder. Anyone had problems with the MC before.... and if so, what did they do?

Ride through Oz and Asia
The Bigfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 03:48 AM   #1131
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
The front brakes are shocking... I can pull the lever to the handlebars.... and I can do that at 140 and keep it there... and things slow down but not very well relative to what it used to be like. (reminds me of the scooter I had in Vietnam, where rolling off the throttle slowed you more than applying the brake). We bled it as well and he mechanic thinks there's something wrong in the master cylinder. Anyone had problems with the MC before.... and if so, what did they do?
Problems are TWO:
1) WRONG master piston area (too small for the calliper pistons) -> long lever throw
2) SMALL oil capacity -> easy boil
Both of the above create exactly what you describe after relatively little use.

Solution is ONE:
Fit an adventure 950/990 master.
Initial bite is less aggressive due to the now larger master piston. However the more you pull, the more you stop in a very crisp, strong and controllable way. It is called perfect braking. I have also fitted a 320 disc on mine which takes braking to an other level by itself.

mousitsas screwed with this post 05-19-2012 at 04:01 AM
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 06:20 AM   #1132
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitsas View Post
Problems are TWO:
1) WRONG master piston area (too small for the calliper pistons) -> long lever throw
2) SMALL oil capacity -> easy boil
Both of the above create exactly what you describe after relatively little use.

Solution is ONE:
Fit an adventure 950/990 master.
Initial bite is less aggressive due to the now larger master piston. However the more you pull, the more you stop in a very crisp, strong and controllable way. It is called perfect braking. I have also fitted a 320 disc on mine which takes braking to an other level by itself.

Aegis,

I think he started only having issues recently, so it doesn't have anything to do with small fluid capacity or the bore size.

Bigfella,

What happens when you fully pull on the lever/push on the pedal, are you getting a lot of resistance or can you go all the way to the end of the stroke? If you are getting nice pressure then it's a friction issue and would point to the brake pads being done. If you can easily pull the lever to the bars then it is air in the system. If they can't be bled then it might be the piston seal as your mechanic thinks. Any fluid loss at the caliper?

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:33 AM   #1133
The Bigfella
Big Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
Aegis,

I think he started only having issues recently, so it doesn't have anything to do with small fluid capacity or the bore size.

Bigfella,

What happens when you fully pull on the lever/push on the pedal, are you getting a lot of resistance or can you go all the way to the end of the stroke? If you are getting nice pressure then it's a friction issue and would point to the brake pads being done. If you can easily pull the lever to the bars then it is air in the system. If they can't be bled then it might be the piston seal as your mechanic thinks. Any fluid loss at the caliper?
Long travel at the lever with the front... can get it to the bar if I try hard... but its always been like that. I've had the local guys bleed front and rear today (neither spanner in the toolkit....) I think I'll change the front pads back to the half worn ones and see how it is. Rear had gained travel yesterday... it was worked hard in the Xtrim Sumatra eXpedition event.... big hills... bled it too, but I reckon the mechanic got fluid on the pads. Will change them again and see. The rear is so bad, I can't even lock it on loose sand on the bitumen.

Ride through Oz and Asia
Old 05-19-2012, 08:48 AM   #1134
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Long travel at the lever with the front... can get it to the bar if I try hard... but its always been like that. I've had the local guys bleed front and rear today (neither spanner in the toolkit....) I think I'll change the front pads back to the half worn ones and see how it is. Rear had gained travel yesterday... it was worked hard in the Xtrim Sumatra eXpedition event.... big hills... bled it too, but I reckon the mechanic got fluid on the pads. Will change them again and see. The rear is so bad, I can't even lock it on loose sand on the bitumen.
Bleed as follows:
1)remove master lid
2)slightly unscrew slave nipple 1/4 - 1/2 turn
3)insert long enough transparent tube on nipple and end the tube inside master reservoir so it is under the fluid surface at all times and forms an external closed circuit.
4) start pumping hard. If necessary, add fluid in master reservoir. You will most likely need to do that, since the tube will have to fill with fluid, while at the same time maintaining the correct fluid height in the master.

after 20-50 strokes max you have a perfectly bled system. This is the best kept secret in bleeding I've ever encountered (thanks gefr!).
Old 05-19-2012, 08:52 AM   #1135
Nytro
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Long travel at the lever with the front... can get it to the bar if I try hard... but its always been like that.
Sounds exactly like mine was. In another thread someone mentioned they removed the red adjustment knob on the lever and turned the adjustment rod in further and loc-tited it. This resulted in better lever travel.
I tried it, and it works fantastic. I needed to remove the lever a couple times to get the adjustment just right, but now I have
much better braking without pulling the lever to the bars.
Nytro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:43 AM   #1136
Crowley
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Bleed as follows:
1)remove master lid
2)slightly unscrew slave nipple 1/4 - 1/2 turn
3)insert long enough transparent tube on nipple and end the tube inside master reservoir so it is under the fluid surface at all times and forms an external closed circuit.
4) start pumping hard. If necessary, add fluid in master reservoir. You will most likely need to do that, since the tube will have to fill with fluid, while at the same time maintaining the correct fluid height in the master.

after 20-50 strokes max you have a perfectly bled system. This is the best kept secret in bleeding I've ever encountered (thanks gefr!).
Thanks for the info definite light bulb info. So simple yet never thought about it.
Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:44 AM   #1137
The Bigfella
Big Adventurer

Arrgh.... damn patchy internet ate my reply.

No tube around here - central northern Sumatra... to try the loop idea. Lack of tube makes me think mechanic got fluid on the rear pads. Neither spanner needed was in my toolkit, of course. Rode it tonight and can't even lock the rear in big patches of sand on the bitumen. NO rear brake.

Will try the adjusting rod trick tomorrow for the front.

Woke to an almost flat front tyre today too. Pumped it up after the offroad stuff. Still up, so tomorrow will tell. Had two flats Friday last week. First two on the bike in over 20,000 km.

Ride through Oz and Asia
Old 05-19-2012, 10:47 AM   #1138
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Arrgh.... damn patchy internet ate my reply.

No tube around here - central northern Sumatra... to try the loop idea. Lack of tube makes me think mechanic got fluid on the rear pads. Neither spanner needed was in my toolkit, of course. Rode it tonight and can't even lock the rear in big patches of sand on the bitumen. NO rear brake.

Will try the adjusting rod trick tomorrow for the front.

Woke to an almost flat front tyre today too. Pumped it up after the offroad stuff. Still up, so tomorrow will tell. Had two flats Friday last week. First two on the bike in over 20,000 km.
Well, the tube needs no to be transparent, but helps so you can see the bubbles!
You may use the petrol tank overfill tube. It is the one leaving your gas cap and ending next to your clutch slave.
It is long enough to bleed the front too (I think)!
Old 05-19-2012, 04:38 PM   #1139
The Bigfella
Big Adventurer

Quote:
Well, the tube needs no to be transparent, but helps so you can see the bubbles!
You may use the petrol tank overfill tube. It is the one leaving your gas cap and ending next to your clutch slave.
It is long enough to bleed the front too (I think)!
Ha! there's another problem... I've got a locking cap (two actually... I got a new one and its the same as the old one) .... it doesn't vent enough for here.... it overpressurises the tank and I end up with leaks from the sensor. I must get a non-locking cap on my next trip home (gotta go home to run a workshop for a client soon... two days travel for a half day workshop.... arghh)

Ride through Oz and Asia
Old 05-20-2012, 12:42 AM   #1140
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,309
hey fellas can anyone tell me how much pressure the stock fuel pump puts out.
Just about to fit a omc pulse pump so would like to know the presure diference for setting the float valves.

Cheers

Joe
DRjoe is offline   Reply With Quote