User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2012, 05:30 AM   #856
Dickyb OP
Bewildered Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,038
Ode to Idilevo........................

A tribute inspired by good times, a snifter of Jack Daniels and a boring night on the telly. To the tune of Hotel California. One, two, three and here we go..............

Bring on the guitars "Da da laddle lah....................etc..........

Cheers,

Dickyb
Dickyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 05:57 AM   #857
tee bee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
You twit dad, i,ll never live it down.
tee bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:49 AM   #858
Roughshod
weld proud

Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowes View Post
Some lovely pics there DickyB. Those sheep dogs and their collars of spikes, know them well from Syria......ferocious and protective of their heard of sheep, they do their job well ....was mountain biking then......would love to meet them again on my GS....not
We had Anatolian Shepherds guarding our farm and sheep from predation in northern Alberta. Had one big boy resembling this one that weighed 200lbs. No need for a metal collar. I dont think they export them anymore. Great RR DickyB!
Tons of laughs
Roughshod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:04 AM   #859
Dickyb OP
Bewildered Adventurer

Riding with the vampire...................

Vladrian the Inhaler, a Romanian chappie was off to meet a couple of Vladimirs in Vladivostok. He'd wisely shortened his name to Adrian to ward off curiosity over his canines from border officials . We had planned to meet up in Cappadocia and ride the Taşyol (stone road). Better take some weaponry in case he gets all pointy-toothed with me

Riding out of the valley the tone was set for the next few days, spooky

700kms and 11 hours later I pulled into the hotel courtyard. No sign of Adrian, not surprising with the sun still being up Still, I managed to get a glimpse of his chariot. A Honda Transfagarasan. A Romanian hybrid knocked together under the moonlight using a Honda engine and old Dacia car body panels

Apparently blokes with sun allergies and a penchant for the red stuff can go out in the daylight if they take suitable precautions so the following morning off we went

Adrian wanted to check out a suitable venue for performing the sort of ceremonies only creatures of the night get involved in Off we went

"That'll do nicely!" growled the other worldly one

Cor blimey, the Lord of Darkness doesn't hang about. He got himself two young lovelies in the blink of an eye

I'm gonna need more than a couple of cloves of garlic to rescue these two. "Quick, pass the stake!"

"Not that one you buffoon! The correctly spelt one. That's better"

Phew, panic overTurns out it's those two Cheeky Girls. Oana........

and Mihaela

Old 05-05-2012, 10:00 AM   #860
AlpineGuerrilla
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
Oh, he's already started his trip, cool. Godspeed and don't forget to post a rr.
AlpineGuerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 12:40 PM   #861
Dickyb OP
Bewildered Adventurer

..........................Turns out that he likes a mixed diet, our Adrian. For starters, main course and dessert he'd lined himself up a Spaniard, a Venezuelan, the Cheeky Girls and Havi the Spanish boyfriend of the cheekiest girl Mihaela Me? The only person I get it in the neck from is the Mrs and she was 500 miles away so I wasn't worried

Since we were all mates, albeit all nervous of what dastardly deed the beast in our midst may commit, we went sightseeing The Cheeky Girls lived up to their name

Mihaela was confident that wearing a hat, fashioned from a tourist map, worn at a rakish angle would protect her from the suns harmful rays

Over a couple of beers Adrian tried to convince me that his wicked ways were over. All that robbing folk of their crimson bodily fluids was just a childish prank. Maturity and a need to pay the bills had meant a need to suck blood in other ways. He had become a LAWYER I wasn't totally convinced. Why would he be looking for a summer house in an underground city?........

Why would one of his cohorts be measuring up the lounge for soft furnishings?

And why would he be looking for new recruits to howl at night from Kangol, famous for breeding noisy four legged folk?

I'd had enough. Time to call the cops. They came, mob handed

and, after comparing shades, he was led away

Phew! That was close. Off to the Taşyol I trundle when lo and behold

"F%^?k me! How did you get here?" "Told them I would suck more blood by raising petrol, Efes and Raki taxes.Be gone and go about your wicked ways they said." said he. "Better go and ride the Taşyol then." whimpered I

The Demon of the Dark lapped it up. Here he could ride day and night, didn't matter

Thought I heard a wolf howl but it was only the Night Stalker getting his breath back.....

Dickyb screwed with this post 05-05-2012 at 12:50 PM
Old 05-06-2012, 11:59 AM   #862
Dickyb OP
Bewildered Adventurer

..........................We left Kemaliye the following morning after imbibing a couple of beers the night before and passing out at an unfeasibly early hour. The climb out was pleasing to the eye.

The mission for the day was to have a chat to the talking heads at the top of Mt Nemrut and shack up in a pansiyon somewhere in the region of Karad
ut, a village on the South side of Nemrut. Maps and the interweb were consulted. I swore I could hear a couple of mice tittering at the best laid plans of a couple of men. Feeling confident we engaged first and wobbled off. After a few hours we hit the snow line

rounded a corner....

and saw the heads

The track we rode to get to the heads petered out at the building on the right. The track we needed to take to get to Karadut can be seen at an angle to the left of the heads. Separating the two were 500 metres of snow, rocks, impassable obstacles and the political battle of wills between the mayors of the two nearest largest towns. The Northern road was fresh asphalt, the Southern road was cobblestoned. The two would not be joined because the local big wigs wanted tourists to arrive at, visit and depart the heads through their district thereby spending tourist spondoolies in their area. Can't fault the logic. A tad annoying though. So close and yet so far. A 56km 2 hour diversion far

Want to know what a pissed off Romanian looks like?

Anyway after five fun days it was time to go our separate ways but not before Adrian made a list of who was likely to get it in the neck in Turkey

The list included, bickering mayors, well meaning Turkish blokes with their unique concepts of time and distance and hoteliers and restaurant owners in the East with fridges devoid of Efes

A couple of days later I was back home with my feet in front of the dog, stroking the fire. Adrian? He's out in the wilderness somewhere. If you listen carefully on a still night you may hear him. Alternatively you can find him here SpotWalla - Trip Viewer - There and back again

Stay safe fella, it was a pleasure

Cheers,

Dickyb

Dickyb screwed with this post 05-06-2012 at 09:26 PM
Old 05-07-2012, 03:31 AM   #863
macarron
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Funny lyrics for this 2012 cover of the Eagles' song, I've laughed a lot reading it. And terrific narrative of the vampire biker too!
Old 05-07-2012, 03:46 AM   #864
pokemon
n00b

Oddometer: 1
hekimhan dan bir defa daha geçerseniz misafirim olun. herzaman beklerim.
pokemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:38 AM   #865
kktos
on a bright side of life

Oddometer: 2,345
Thumb

as always, very entertaining ! ;)
kktos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:34 AM   #866
Gentri in GA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Thumb Very nice

Nice RR's and enjoyed the The Eagles "tune". Thanks for taking the time and posting up some great pictures from an amazing area! Some day.....

Regards from Atlanta

G
Old 05-08-2012, 11:56 AM   #867
backroadbob.com
Roads Scholar

Oddometer: 182
Turkey - It's Up and Coming

Another great RR. Riding anywhere you want, no one hassling you, and great food. I see why you like Turkey more than England. It's like Spain - the interior all seasons and the resort areas off season are eerily empty, but that's a good thing when you're DSing. More, please.
New Motorcycle Adventure Website <www.backroadbob.com> Featuring a Four-Decade Distillation of Motorcycling in 38 American States, Five Canadian Provinces, Five National Forests, Ten Pennsylvania State Forests, and Eight Foreign Countries.http://www.backroadbob.com
backroadbob.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:50 AM   #868
asilindean
Adrian

Oddometer: 132
Hi David,

great RR. Story and pics are what I was hopping to read from you

Had a great time riding with you, thanks for coming along!

I will post some picture myself . Soon....

Send my best to all in Ilidevo, have a Shumensko for me.

the regulator regulated and rectifies as it should

Tomorrow will cross to AZ and fun will begin
asilindean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:35 PM   #869
621andy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Great RR as always, and it was lovely to see you all, albeit briefly, in Kapadokya...would've been nice to fly you all...but bus drivers what can you do

See you found the sculptures too..

@Adrian...Lovely bike keep going man!
621andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:02 AM   #870
Dickyb OP
Bewildered Adventurer

Ta chaps!

Hi Roughshod, macarron, pokemon, Gentri in GA and backroadbob.com Thanks for your kind words and I'm glad my inane ramblings made you titter. Nice to hear from you again kktos. Been out with The Master of the Light recently?

Thanks again 621Andy for sorting out the foreign folk with their flight and generally being a good sport

All the best Vladrian and if you get a bit peckish try a blood orange for added vitamins

Cheers,

Dickyb