Oddometer: 4,450
first little outing to Pawhuska Ok from Tulsa ... about 120 miles round trip

just outside of Barnstall, OK .. home town of Clark Gable

_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:45 PM   #407
Xcuvator
Justa Venturer

Oddometer: 1,342
Nice looking bike and weather. Did you spend a week there?

So much riding-so little time
Xcuvator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:05 PM   #408
_cy_ OP
Beastly Adventurer

testing Aerostich Roadcrafter for water worthiness. a bit unfair since I scrubbed suit hard with soapy water before dousing with a full stream of water. results after 15min of scrubbing and dousing with water... soaked inside.

will try water only next time

Old 01-16-2012, 06:43 PM   #409
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 7,662
You're supposed to waterproof the suit every now and then. Sounds like it's time!
Old 01-16-2012, 07:10 PM   #410
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,198
No matter how well you waterproof them aerostich + rain = soggy crotch (eventually legs too)

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.

Airhead Wrangler screwed with this post 01-16-2012 at 07:22 PM
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:56 PM   #411
fishkens
Further...

Oddometer: 5,147
+1 The zippers simply aren't waterproof. The suit could be more waterproof but that would compromise the easy entry/exit, although I do believe they're now using more water resistant zippers seen on mountaineering gear.

From their site:

Waterproofing Zippers?

The Roadcrafter’s unique zipper arrangement can become a source of water entry in extremely wet conditions. To dramatically improve performance in severe conditions use either a wash-in water repellent or hand seal these areas: 1) Stitching and knit zipper fabric around both underarm zips; 2.) The knit zipper fabric along the right leg zipper; 3.) The stitching and knit zipper fabric along the left leg zipper from two inches above the bottom of the Velcro flap, to below the knee.
Wash-in repellents like Nikwax TX Direct® penetrate everywhere during laundering. In addition to improving breathability in wet conditions, they minimize leaks around zippers. Seam sealing products like Seam Grip®, should be thinned enough to completely soak into the fabric, thread, and stitching. (Use Cotol® or toulene.) Apply sealant to both the knit zipper fabric and the stitching.
fishkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:55 PM   #412
sdpc2
Just another Rally Rat

Oddometer: 1,045
that is one SWEET G/S

Greg is known for having some really nice G/S's over the years.... and i've never even met the man. But i seriously considered buying a bike from him a few years ago...

I lower my passenger pegs for those riders that have gone before me
sdpc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:04 AM   #413
_cy_ OP
Beastly Adventurer

G/S in front of Frank Loyd Wright Price Tower yesterday

Old 05-12-2012, 12:18 PM   #414
_cy_ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Leaky Bing carb fix on R80 G/S ... tried everything else without success.
it was time to replace the seat. removing seat by carefully following below method requires no heat.

use a 24 - 5/16 tap then screw same pitch bolt into now threaded brass seat.
use a nut with ID larger than seat for a spacer. then simply turn nut to pull out.

easy does it when making initial pull. taking apart several times to inspect pull is coming out straight.

use a brass drift to gently tap new seat in

correct float height setting. float level with edge of bowl.

_cy_ screwed with this post 05-12-2012 at 05:07 PM
Old 05-12-2012, 02:54 PM   #415
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 7,327
Thanks Cy,

That's the first time I've seen this explained so clearly and with pictures. Nice operation.

It is pretty amazing they can leak I think and not show any deformity. Was that also your experience?

Pay your debt, privatejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 03:07 PM   #416
_cy_ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
Thanks Cy,

That's the first time I've seen this explained so clearly and with pictures. Nice operation.

It is pretty amazing they can leak I think and not show any deformity. Was that also your experience?
yes... tried everything multiple times ... changed out to new floats, new needle, tried different float heights, new float bowl gasket, etc.

it'd hold for awhile like overnight, then start leaking again ... it was time for a new seat

_cy_ screwed with this post 05-12-2012 at 05:08 PM
Old 05-25-2012, 04:42 PM   #417
Duckmeister
midlife crisis@64

Oddometer: 2
Thumb R90s guages

I too am bringing back to life a 74 S model. In the event that you need to resto the guages,I can recommend Terry Vrla in Oregon. He goes by "Wirespokes" on this site. Great job,very fair price. Best of luck with your Beemer...
Duckmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 11:34 PM   #418
_cy_ OP
Beastly Adventurer

working electronic ignition yanked on R80 G/S

these little lovelies are in it's new home (one spare beancan with points)
fired right up with static timing ... double check with timing light tomorrow.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:13 AM   #419
chasbmw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
I have two under the tank MCs that I picked up somewhere. One I know is from a '77 R100S the other one I don't know. But both have the cast in # "17". I've not measured them. I think a "16 should work great and even a "15" would be OK but eventually you run out of grip travel and during hard breaking it can not work so good. The two calipers are "40"s and they take more fluid to work. Although I've heard of people using the stock MC for a single disk on a dual set up I don't think I would do that. The single is a "13" I think. It might be "14".

If your "16" ever pits up on you you can convert to "17" easily with out sleeving.

I also painted the frame in the same place ten years ago. Time to do it again and I'm converting to Duals, so there.

Charlie

This looks like a very early 90/s with the solid discs, if it is likely that the calipers are 38MM (if they are not marked with a 40, then they are 38s).
My dual 38s work very well with a 13mm handlebar master cylinder, so i suggest the smaller the better if you want more poweful and responsive brakes.

Charles
1971 Commando Fastback
chasbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:15 AM   #420
chasbmw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
if I was an Airhead pro like yourself, I'd take the same attitude. but facts are I'm a nooob to Airheads.

got lots more mistakes to make and lots of finding out what's really important. so my tool kit has to be complete enough to tackle most anything. also this tool kit needs to support a multi month trip.

then factor my bike is 37 years old and I have not ran this airhead enough miles to know what will break. long term maintenance parts that take up little space at low costs will be coming along. other option is just to install all the maintenance parts like these http://www.northwoodsairheads.com/ma...nce-parts.html and be done.

my entire kit laid out above and few more tools, fits inside front and rear tail and weights a total of 10lbs. which is OK, those tools will get me home and/or back on the road if I break down.

for instance, just tracked down my blowing fuse problems. operator error because I'm not familiar with how BMW parts are laid out.

connected hot wire to left turn signal lamp to the identical looking ground spring loaded post. left turn signal on... pooof goes fuse

Tools neatly packed away

with an early R90S like yours it is worth running an earth wire from the front indicators back into one of the earths in the headlamp.
1971 Commando Fastback
chasbmw is offline   Reply With Quote