User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2012, 03:16 AM   #31
chukzelda OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Patrick,

How about a pic of that homebuilt chopper? You know you can't just tease us by saying that...

peace
Chuk
chukzelda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:08 AM   #32
Patrick46
visionary

Oddometer: 2,812
here ya go Chuk...

(I build these things)

it really is a ball to ride. has an EVO bottom, with a TwinCam top end = 100.3 ci.
the frame, tanks, fenders, racks, front end....basically the WHOLE bike is homemade. (or from stuff I've yanked outta the Harley stealership's dumpster!!!)

It's faster then snot, pulls wheelies all day long, corners like it's on rails, and still rides excellent.

part of why I'm thinking about the FJR is that we pull a trailer, and I think the front end on my chopper is simply too light to do this comfortably. If I hook my trailer behind this monster, the front wheel will never touch the ground!!

I've got a chance at a freshly crashed FJR for very cheap money. I've always kinda liked 'em anyways, and we've put ALOT of miles on older Yamaha Ventures, which pull our trailer very well! (I can't stand those big fairings though.)

For what I could get outta the chopper, I could easily buy the FJR, PLUS a Honda XL500 or something similiar for dualsporting...and still have money left over.

I'm just wondering if this FJR would be up to the task.

any comments out there?????

www.artworks-unlimited.com
Patrick46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:32 AM   #33
noshoes
soñando con México

Oddometer: 2,123
Many years ago, I bought a BMW K100. At first I really liked it. It did everything it was supposed to, and smooooooth as can be. After riding it for about 4 months, it got real boring. It was kinda like riding an appliance. It did everything is was supposed to, and smooth as can be. Traded it for a XL200 and a trials bike. Guess I'd been riding thumpers and twins for too long.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:44 AM   #34
Meter Man
Living on a prayer

Oddometer: 7,544
I just sold a Concours ZG1000 that had this attribute.

It was a bit odd though. It was very isolating from the road itself, but had very pronounced feed back from other vehicles (it would dance and shimmy in the wake of trucks and even cars).
Meter Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:32 PM   #35
FBB
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick46 View Post
here ya go Chuk...

(I build these things)

it really is a ball to ride. has an EVO bottom, with a TwinCam top end = 100.3 ci.
the frame, tanks, fenders, racks, front end....basically the WHOLE bike is homemade. (or from stuff I've yanked outta the Harley stealership's dumpster!!!)

It's faster then snot, pulls wheelies all day long, corners like it's on rails, and still rides excellent.

part of why I'm thinking about the FJR is that we pull a trailer, and I think the front end on my chopper is simply too light to do this comfortably. If I hook my trailer behind this monster, the front wheel will never touch the ground!!

I've got a chance at a freshly crashed FJR for very cheap money. I've always kinda liked 'em anyways, and we've put ALOT of miles on older Yamaha Ventures, which pull our trailer very well! (I can't stand those big fairings though.)

For what I could get outta the chopper, I could easily buy the FJR, PLUS a Honda XL500 or something similiar for dualsporting...and still have money left over.

I'm just wondering if this FJR would be up to the task.

any comments out there?????
Here are a couple of FJR specific forums http://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?act=idx

http://www.fjrforum.com/

The forums are obviously biased as they are FJR forums, but most people there would be able to answer any questions you may have.

I had a 2008 FJR and the thing is a great mile muncher and for me the bike was not excessively isolated from the road.

Of course compared to the bike you have now pretty much anything will be isolated.

The FJR should easily be up to what you want it to do. Fantastic engine and very stable chassis and pretty good aftermarket support.
FBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:30 PM   #36
Patrick46
visionary

Thanx for the imput FBB.

I see you have/had an FJR...do you still have yours??

through another inmate, I've heard that the '05's and older could develop overheating issues. (corrected in the '06 models) Seeing that pulling a trailer obviously makes an engine work harder, this kinda thing worry's me.

Any truths to these rumors??

------

update....I missed out on the FJR, so I guess I'm stuck riding this damn chopper fer now!!!

Ah well.....it could be worse!!

Patrick46 screwed with this post 05-08-2012 at 09:32 AM Reason: update
Old 05-08-2012, 11:02 AM   #37
FBB
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanx for the imput FBB.

I see you have/had an FJR...do you still have yours??

through another inmate, I've heard that the '05's and older could develop overheating issues. (corrected in the '06 models) Seeing that pulling a trailer obviously makes an engine work harder, this kinda thing worry's me.

Any truths to these rumors??

------

update....I missed out on the FJR, so I guess I'm stuck riding this damn chopper fer now!!!

Ah well.....it could be worse!!
Yeah it could be MUCH worse!

I sold the FJR this year and took a big gulp of the Kool Aid and bought a GS.

The FJR is a great street bike, but off the pavement not so good. I know several people that take them everywhere and I would run gravel roads with it all the time, but I never got over the feeling that if I dropped it all that plastic would be very expensive to fix or replace.

The only overheating I ever heard of on the Gen 1 (2003 - 2005) FJR's was the rider. The first generation FJR's, like many other bikes would cook the rider at times so I hear. I never had one so can't speak personally to that.

They made some changes to the fairing and added different heat shields for the generation 2 bikes that seems to have cured that.

When you consider that a lot of the Iron Butt types run that thing in the big rally that should tell you how well it holds up.

Good luck in your search!

FBB screwed with this post 05-08-2012 at 01:07 PM
Old 05-08-2012, 11:38 AM   #38
PizzMor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
I felt this way on my K1200LT, so I am switching to a R1200R. Feels like a true motorcycle. The LT was amazing, but too refined. Good thread!!
Old 05-08-2012, 11:49 AM   #39
BuilderBob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzMor View Post
I felt this way on my K1200LT, so I am switching to a R1200R. Feels like a true motorcycle. The LT was amazing, but too refined. Good thread!!
I had a Hayabusa a few years back and decided to sell. A guy contacted me who had a late model LT and wanted to trade. We met up, I rode his bike and he rode mine. The only thing that came to mind while riding the LT was "total sensory deprivation". Didn't do the deal.

I ended up selling the Busa and buying a new FJR.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:53 PM   #40
Patrick46
visionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBB View Post
Yeah it could be MUCH worse!

I sold the FJR this year and took a big gulp of the Kool Aid and bought a GS.

The FJR is a great street bike, but off the pavement not so good.

Good luck in your search!
Funny you mention a GS, as I was over on this thread too....

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=476494

guess I'm just gonna hafta get 2 bikes!!

Old 05-09-2012, 08:33 AM   #41
FBB
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Funny you mention a GS, as I was over on this thread too....

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=476494

guess I'm just gonna hafta get 2 bikes!!
There are worse things than having 2 bikes...

Here is that article they were talking about on the other thread about the GS as a sport tourer http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/model_eval/2010AugGS.pdf
Old 05-09-2012, 06:55 PM   #42
yzmaico
Slacker

Oddometer: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrivens View Post
My 1250S Bandit was like that - very capable but a very dull bike to ride on. The 650 VStrom was much the same. Most of the bikes I've had in the last 20 years have been pretty dull if it comes to that. Nice for comfort, but not much on excitement. I ride a lot, so the simple ability to do large miles in comfort and safety have been nice, but there was always something missing. I grew up with unfaired, vibrating bikes which had to be manhandled around corners, weren't all that fast and had the minimum of technology in them. Some were absolute rubbish (and I've seen a few of those being rebuilt in Old's Cool...), some of them were brilliant, but most were fun of one sort or the other. This year I sold the Strom and the Bandit and went back to scratch - a Kawasaki W800 and an 07 standard Sportster. It's like being 20 years old again; while riding has been a major part of my life for well over 40 years, I'm now getting more of a kick out of it than ever. These two handle well, are reliable, aren't that powerful and despite EFI and electronic ignition are very basic and still have the unsophisticated feel of the old stuff. It requires a bit of a change of attitude - 1000km days on these two would be murder and highway cruising speeds are a tad lower but it's about time I slowed down a bit anyway at my age.

Yup, I own a '09 1250s.

I went from a '02 Buell Cyclone, to a '06 SV1000s, to a '07 GSXR750 and bought the 1250 as a second bike for more relaxed riding.

I wadded up the gixxer, I mean high siding-ejecto-cartwheeling off into the sunset.....but damn I MISS THAT BIKE.

I'm saving for another sportbike....the 1250 is a fine bike, just gotta know what it's made for.

Hmmm...Jennings is open this weekend, might have to do a track day on the Bandit...don't laugh.
yzmaico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:13 PM   #43
d2wing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 449
A couple Goldwings, Harley Ultra Classic, various other Harley's, nighthawk, BMW, KLR, Uly. I planned on buying another BMW, but ended up with a Sportster. It's just more fun. If I planned a long ride though I'd get a full touring bike but keep the Sporty.
d2wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:01 AM   #44
amos100
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
BMW K1300GT. Test rode several times. Last time I couldn't wait to get off, Would rather be in a car.

Got a S1000RR instead and would get another one. Another fun bike connected to the road is the BMW F800S I had one for a while and recently test rode the F800R. It's a hoot, but not sure I want to spend the money. Had been thinking about looking at a cruiser with a fairing. This thread may have gotten me over that
amos100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 01:31 PM   #45
Fireman1000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,459
I feel the same way about the bikes I've had in the past three years. I just can't seem to find the right "fit". Favorite bike has to be the 2001 FZ1 I had twice. I feel like I've overcomplicated riding by trying to get the perfect motorcycle. I still haven't found it yet.
Fireman1000 is offline   Reply With Quote