Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2012, 06:04 PM   #316
WhatThaFrig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by josjor View Post
I'm not sure I have ever heard the words "Gold Wing" and "Hooligan" in the same sentence. I don't believe it was ever appropriate.............until now!

Love it!
Thanks! I never associated "Hooligan" with it til now. It fits!
1982 GL1100 Standard
1980 GS550
WhatThaFrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:11 PM   #317
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerIsGood View Post
Anything loud.
Goody. More for me!

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:26 PM   #318
codyh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Another vote for Harley, but only because I'm still holding a grudge over the refusal to sell Buell. Too bad because the '72 looks awesome and I think it'd be a great daily ride. Other than that, there's not a bike that I wouldn't buy if my pockets were deep enough. I've had a lot of fun on pretty much every style of bike made, and my wife will tell you that I aspire to own them all.

How many of you who would never buy a cruiser or a sportbike have spent significant time on them? I understand there are some comfort issues associated with both of these, but a lot of riders just seem to dismiss whole categories based on some preconceived notions of instant death on a sportbike or that they'll turn into a :ymcaif they ride a cruiser.
codyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:22 PM   #319
Rufjeep
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 387
I'd buy about anything if the price was right...I'm not proud.
Rufjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:28 AM   #320
judobiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 487
I always buy used. The only ones I won't consider are the bikes with ads that say the have been "streetfightered" to look cool. Especially when the factory fairings don't come with the bike...that's never a good sign. Other than that I'll buy or ride anything--and have fun doing it!
"How narrow and difficult the road that leads to life, and few find it" (Matt 7:14)

'05 Bandit 1200, '01 DRZ400, '95DR125, '01 KDX200
judobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 03:02 AM   #321
B.Curvin
Feral Chia tamer

Oddometer: 2,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkent02 View Post
Anything that makes more noise than power, anything that handles best in a straight line, anything that looks better than it feels. Anything in this picture:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y26.../hogparade.jpg

And KLRs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwade View Post
That looks dangerous as HELL!!
Figst it for you.

I would not want to be riding in the same state as that rolling cluster f@#k.

Porsche Audi VW
B.Curvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 05:01 AM   #322
rivercreep
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Man View Post
What?

The only thing being humiliated are the most deficient sport bike riders. Not the bikes.
Depends on the nature of the road. Tight twisty AND bumpy =650+ D.S. can easily win. Smooth and perfectly manicured with absolutely no debris of any kind = sport bike wins.
Power is a great advantage but, on most roads in my State, you need the suspension, increased lean angles (without touch-down) and semi knobbies of a D.S. to dig down through pea gravel and find clean black-top to even be able to use the mild H.P. that a big single makes.
...all you'll hear behind you on most of Pennsylvania's tight twisties when a sport-bike is trying to keep up is the poor fucker losing power as his rear wheel keeps losing contact with the bumpy road surface as it skitters and also spits out pea-gravel because the tires and suspension are lacking the ability to put the power to the pavement.
I'm sure in other States where the roads don't suffer from poorer surfaces, sport-bikes and their riders can whip some ass but, I've never seen it happen in Pa.
On the other hand, those same riders (one of many which was my brother on his KLR vs his 750 Katana) could always keep up with me when riding their D.S. but, NOT when they were on their crotch rockets. (DR650's were always my D.S. Mount)
B.T.W. The exception to my last statement were guys on sport-bikes that had LESS power like older FZR400's.
There truly ARE situations where less is more.
Why some guys can't accept that fact has always puzzled me.
I for one got into the D.S. scene after realizing that my 1100 Katana (despite its power and my skill level riding on it) was NOT the best vehicle for riding Pa's nasty ass roads. (which is where the fun is)

Y.M.M.V. but, things are not always as cut and dry as you might think they are.

F.W.I.W. I still desire a modern GSXR750 just for the sheer hell of it but, in no way am I going to kid myself that it could be as fast on the roads I enjoy riding as a DR650 would be; unless I have someone give it 7 more inches of suspension travel to suck up bumps to deal with the increased lean angles needed to handle the tight, twisty, pothole ridden roads we have around here. (and do they even make semi-knobbies to fit sport-bike rims?)

Ok....it's now your turn to throw out how fast a sportbike is on a racetrack vs what a D.S. would be, to which (in all fairness for not comparing things to real world riding) I'll have to ask you to show me how fast a sport-bike is on an MX track vs a D.S.

Back to our program = The only bike I wouldn't buy, is one that would keep a smile from forming on my face.
Keeping in mind that I believe each segment has its purpose and place, I don't think there is one.
What I wouldn't want is one that's hard to maintain, as I enjoy doing my own maint.
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:12 AM   #323
RBnite
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Never saw a MC I didn't like.

Some I can't and probably never will be able to afford, yet If i could I would
RBnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:40 PM   #324
C/1/509
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,630
More Type Than Specific Bike

Probably no touring bike. Probably no sport tourer. Probably no cruiser. Not most sport bikes, but there's an exception. But not a specific brand or bike - some styles just don't do it for me regardless which maker.
C/1/509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:54 PM   #325
Cowgirl
Cougar on the prowl

Oddometer: 3,839
The OP specified unreliable and I can't think of a bike I wouldn't own because of that but cruisers do not appeal to me. If someone gave me one I might ride it although since I have other bikes it would probably just collect dust Of course if someone wants to test this theory I'll certainly accept one I would never buy one for myself - just not my style.
A Cougar goes racing
Lead me not into temptation ............ just follow me, I know a short-cut.
Cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:59 PM   #326
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Curvin View Post
Figst it for you.

I would not want to be riding in the same state as that rolling cluster f@#k.
You see... You are just looking at it all wrong. That is not a rolling cluster f@#k ... It is a rolling slalom course there for the amusement of riders.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:24 PM   #327
T-Hall
tilting at windmills

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
As compared to what?

Sorry but I am tired of hearing this and other often parroted lies.

If you don't like the brands that is fine... Just dislike them for valid reasons not the tired old outdated bullshit.

If Harley's were so over priced they would not be increasing their market share. Ten years ago it was 48% Now it is 54% Something impossible to do if they were "overpriced"
I would not say overpriced... HD & BMW are pricey... and the beamer maintenance is high and not abundantly available in theU.S. Resale holds up well. But for me, I would rather purchase 2 riceburners for less than 1 HD or BMW. Japanese have been producing good motorbikes reasonably priced for a very long time... you cannot go wrong there.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:27 PM   #328
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,434
Anything with fucked up handling and poor brakes.

That covers quite a bit of the Harley space admitted, but there are other bikes that'd fit as well.

Pete
PeterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:30 PM   #329
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Hall View Post
I would rather purchase 2 riceburners for less than 1 HD or BMW. Japanese have been producing good motorbikes reasonably priced for a very long time... you cannot go wrong there.

Please look up the MSRP of these reasonably priced bikes from Japan then compare them to the similar Harley. YOU can't get two for one!!!!

A Raider S for example is actually more than its FXDWG competition.

HD sales UP 25%

DAKEZ screwed with this post 05-13-2012 at 07:56 AM
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:45 AM   #330
Ronin ADV
Gear addict

Oddometer: 594
I can appreciate the looks of lots of different bikes, but I really dont want to own anything that I cant stand up on. I just like the footpegs under me, so most feet forward cruisers are out. While I'm at it, I am partial to wider bars so the position of most sport bikes is not the best for me. I am much more interested in cornering than in how fast a bike can go in a straight line, so the mid foot position and wide bars just feel like they offer the best control.
Red dirt, rocks and sand; Riding the southern UTBDR, WR250R vs EXC 500 - a comparison
Ronin ADV is offline   Reply With Quote