Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2012, 03:26 PM   #31
theborv OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSFREEK View Post
Really , go test ride both. Testing one thing to see if you like the other is pretty twisted
I would if I could, they don't have 650 for demo...

So my options are to travel to another city, and that's a true pain, or to get as much info I can get from the net from people who had tried both to see if I can extract some real worthwhile info to take the plunge and order the 650 or not.

When I get to sell my car, I can chose either bikes from a price perspective. If I had all the money to spend, I still don't know if I would get the 800 or 650, this is more to do with what will be the better option for me to ride.

The 800 size fitted me perfectly, if I knew the 650 would fit just as well, I would chose the 650... I think.
theborv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 03:35 PM   #32
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,204
Fill out your profile and let us know where you are. Maybe there's an inmate nearby who can let you try their 650.

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 04:00 PM   #33
theborv OP
Adventurer

I live in Bergen, Norway!

GH, there is a 650 in the shop, I can sit on it, can't take it for a spin. It's like mountain boots, you won't really know if they fit until you walk in them properly, trying them on in the shop only tells half the story.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:02 PM   #34
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpoke28787 View Post
I also think the 650 was just too small for my 6'5 frame. The 800 is just bigger all the way around.
Really? It's the same frame, engine, seat, foot peg location, bar height, how can this be?

Current bikes F800GS-EXCF350-Versys-690R-RZ350
sieg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 03:27 AM   #35
GSFREEK
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by theborv View Post
I would if I could, they don't have 650 for demo...

So my options are to travel to another city, and that's a true pain, or to get as much info I can get from the net from people who had tried both to see if I can extract some real worthwhile info to take the plunge and order the 650 or not.

When I get to sell my car, I can chose either bikes from a price perspective. If I had all the money to spend, I still don't know if I would get the 800 or 650, this is more to do with what will be the better option for me to ride.

The 800 size fitted me perfectly, if I knew the 650 would fit just as well, I would chose the 650... I think.
I did my 25 hours driving lessons on a 650 and bought an 800. The 650 turns a bit easier and the front end seems more stable at higher speeds. I prefer the higher sitting position of the 800 and it is much more trashable off-road . Last but not least, the 800 looks sooooo much better IMO!
GSFREEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 03:47 AM   #36
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by sieg View Post
Really? It's the same frame, engine, seat, foot peg location, bar height, how can this be?
I thought the same thing until I sat on both of them. It's hard to explain but the 800 does seem bigger and not just because of the height. I think the reach to the bars is different. Or maybe the bars were not adjusted to the same angle on both bikes.

If you go here you can plug in both bikes and see the difference. It's not much but they are slightly different.

http://cycle-ergo.com/

I was amazed at how much heaver the 800 feels with the added height. More than the published difference in weight. In fact the weight of the F800 feels more top heavy like my past V-Strom 650's and the F650 feels more like my DR650. Light and nimble.

Since I'm only 5'9" and 150 lbs the F650 was a much better fit.

I do agree if a person wants to do more off-road the 800 is probably better suited to the task.

For just fire roads either bike will do the job.

Jon...
Old 05-13-2012, 03:56 AM   #37
theborv OP
Adventurer

Regarding looks, the version of the 650 I am considering is the special edition yellow/black one. If it weren't for that I wouldn't have considered the 650 at all. But the 800 still looks better.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:10 AM   #38
theborv OP
Adventurer

How is the engine-breaking-feel/experience compared between the 650 and 800? Are they slightly different, if so, how are they different? Or are they the same?
Old 05-13-2012, 09:53 AM   #39
8thdwarf
perfect,just perfect

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Pro & cons 650 vs 800 after riding both?

I did prefer the 800, although I would have bought the 650 if this 800 didn't come about. that being said, I like the torque of the 800 and the throttle response of the 800 over the 650. the 800 feels like a bigger bike, duh, more road worthy IMO... I just got this thing and i know it's going to take a different mentality riding this thing in the dirt. Much different than the XR or other dirt bikes I'm accustomed to, well, see. For the amount of off road vs. road riding I'm doing as of late, I'm glad I got the 800. Sounds like you're stuck with indecision.
8thdwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:03 AM   #40
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,063
Yeah, to paraphrase the previous poster; "Indecision may or may not be your problem".

For what its worth, I had a F650gs, sold it and three years later bought another one. I like them.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:39 AM   #41
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 2,168
Now heres a good looking 658.
Longer legs for off pavement but still with most advantages of the 650.
The low seat height advantage is lost...

I raised my bike because on my first go around I did this.

You can grow into the 650 if you want...
Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:44 AM   #42
vtbob
wanderer

Oddometer: 526
Quote:
How is the engine-breaking-feel/experience compared between the 650 and 800? Are they slightly different, if so, how are they different? Or are they the same?
The engines are identical except for a hotter cam(lift and duration) in the 800GS vs the 650GS, air injection to burn waste fuel from the longer duration cam (part of the reason for poorer milage, the need for Hi test fuel(vs regular in the F650GS), different ECU profiles.

The breaking is as with all BMW to my knowledge...gentle for the first 600 mile/1000km, vary rpm, no excessive RPM, do not lug the engine(i.e. heavy load/low RPM. this lets all the new metal bits to get acquainted and work well together. Just common sense.
vtbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 01:53 PM   #43
GH41
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 822
Quote:
Regarding looks, the version of the 650 I am considering is the special edition yellow/black one. If it weren't for that I wouldn't have considered the 650 at all. But the 800 still looks better.
I waited 2 1/2 months for the yellow/black special edition model here in the states. I never considered the 800 for my use. GH
GH41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 02:09 PM   #44
theborv OP
Adventurer

That is a very nice looking bike GH
Old 05-14-2012, 01:02 PM   #45
Hyoma
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Ahhh, the eternal debate on the F800 and F650.

I own a 2010 F650 and this is my take:

It's all marketing forces at work here. Yes, the F800 has better suspensions and a double disc upfront and is more 'off road' and some say 'bigger’. The deal is this: both are essentially the same bike. The suspensions on the F800 are better on paper, but not that much. The 650 brakes just as nicely with its single disc. The F800 is taller, but not bigger. Both have identical engines, but tuned slightly differently. The 800 has a little more horsepower at higher revs, but it sacrifices for some smoothness below 4k. The 650 runs smoother below 4k rpm.

The 650 is an underrated bike in BMW's lineup, just like the F800R and the R1200R. The 800 will always sell better because it is marketed as an 'OFF-ROAD ADVENTURE' motorcycle. The double disc, the suspensions, and the 21" spook rims give it more cred. The specs are better on paper, but the improvements isn't that huge in real riding. The 650 is marketed as a 'novice' motorcycle and targeted at women. This is all marketing talk and far from the truth. The 650 is, simply put, a very competent road machine which most people will enjoy riding. The 800 is also basically a road bike, but dressed up as off road. Both are too heavy for any real off-road. One will have more enjoyment doing that on a 650 single.

Now, the biggest advantage the 800 has over the 650 is the looks. Personally, I believe 90% of the riders choose the 800 over the 650 simply because it looks better. I doubt most of them buy it for any real off-road capabilities although few will admit to that. BMW has deliberately under-designed the 650 for strategic reasons. In stock form, it does not have the beak extender, the 2 panels at the side and comes in simpler and less exciting single tone colours. It certainly looks like a plain jane beside the 800.

Both are equally good motorcycles because they are essentially the same. Get the 800 if you want a better looking motorcycle and desire more 'off road cred' among peers. But if one isn't too concerned about others’ opinions or how pretty the machine is. If one just wants to ride a good motorcycle; the 650 is plenty enough. He won't be shortchanged.

Hyoma screwed with this post 05-14-2012 at 01:18 PM
Hyoma is offline   Reply With Quote