Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2012, 06:44 AM   #4771
MN_Smurf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,145
You stated the facts. Rick's sent you a subpar piece of equipment and then didn't want to work with you to make it right. Another source stepped up to the plate with a better part. End of story. I see no problem with anything you said.
Old 05-11-2012, 06:46 AM   #4772
ec90t
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff B View Post
What worries me is if the guy from Custom rewind is right when he said that maybe my experience w/ Rick's might be an anomoly. If it is, then I'm potentially an asshole for posting my experience. See the problem?
Anomoly or not, the way it was handled (on their end) is the issue. You were trying to keep from scrapping your vacation plans and they could have cared less. In steps Custom Rewind and saves the day even though y'all had never done business together before.

Anyone can sell a part. Anyone can send off a faulty part. What seperates the ones that will stay in business from those that go by the wayside is how the customer is taken care of after the sale. Those companies that have great customer service always do well when the economy is down.
ec90t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:18 AM   #4773
Jeff B
I apologize

Oddometer: 5,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Smurf View Post
You stated the facts. Rick's sent you a subpar piece of equipment and then didn't want to work with you to make it right. Another source stepped up to the plate with a better part. End of story. I see no problem with anything you said.

But it's not like I had dealt w/Rick himself. The person I talked to from Custom Rewind [I now remember his name being Gary] was in fact the owner. I wonder if the outcome would of been different had I been dealing w/the owner Rick himself. I guess theres always the chance that Gary [C.Rewind] stacked the deck on this case as an opportunity to attract business his way. I guess if someone else orders a beefed up stator from Gary and gets something less than I did we'll know for sure.

But usually I have a great talent of reading people and Gary really impressed me. His speech was effected by a stroke he survived, but he none the less communicated just fine. We talked for prolly close to an hour about motorcycles, riding, and the humors of running a business. He told me if I was ever in the area that I was welcome to stop by and visit. This is why i figure his service was genuine and prolly not an opportunity as I mentioned above.

I remember him joking about cycle electronics and saying that they have a spirit made of smoke. He said that what proves this is that anytime you see an electrical component fail you will always see the spirit [smoke] rise from it on it's way to heaven. Funny stuff.

Disconnected......... "The random thing was Grape Ape was there too"
Jeff B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:39 AM   #4774
MikePike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by ec90t View Post
Anomoly or not, the way it was handled (on their end) is the issue. You were trying to keep from scrapping your vacation plans and they could have cared less. In steps Custom Rewind and saves the day even though y'all had never done business together before.

Anyone can sell a part. Anyone can send off a faulty part. What seperates the ones that will stay in business from those that go by the wayside is how the customer is taken care of after the sale. Those companies that have great customer service always do well when the economy is down.
An owner can be great and the employees poop. If the employees act poopy then the reputation of the owner and the business will suffer. It's like what they told us in the Army. If you go out and act a fool in your uniform the people won't remember you they will remember the uniform. Change uniform to business position and the analogy still holds up.

You presented in a non-biased way with clear and concised photographic evidence to boot. that my friend takes skill. I would consider Rick's but you gave a great bit of evidence for another company who seemed willing to work with you and stand behind their product. That goes many miles in my book.
MikePike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:27 AM   #4775
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,278
Rick's....is that RICKYSTATOR? Very well known.

They need to just fire the 'girl' there. Typical crappy customer service. They don't care about the customer, it's not their business, they come, do minimum work, have a shitty attitude, and collect a paycheck.

When we moved from Seattle to California twenty years ago we were shocked at the lack of service every where we went. We started calling it 'California service'. You walk into a resturant and the hostess grabs some menus and walks away....are you supposed to follow? No greeting, no smile, no nothing. Or you sit down at the table and they throw a handful of silverware in the middle of the table and a stack of napkins and walk away. Or they bug the crap out of you, tell you their name (I could care less) but then you can't find them when you do need something because they went on break. Or you ask for something special and they just look at you and say "we can't do that" and bat their eyes.

The new stator looks great!
Old 05-11-2012, 09:01 AM   #4776
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,130
cross-posted from the V1000 thread:

Just a heads up, if you are in the UK and own the 650, Kawasaki are offering test-rides on the 1000 and you get free membership of the Kawasaki Riders Club (usually 29.95 a year).
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:09 AM   #4777
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,130
Quote:

So I'm not reccomending Rick's as you can see.
Custom Rewind might be getting some international orders..
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 03:40 AM   #4778
wb57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,390
Quote:
What worries me is if the guy from Custom rewind is right when he said that maybe my experience w/ Rick's might be an anomoly. If it is, then I'm potentially an asshole for posting my experience. See the problem?
Even if it is an anomaly, they treated you badly and did nothing to make it right. It may have been the individual on the phone. Or maybe not.

Is the Ricks being referred to here the same as Ricky Stator that's been around for years?

http://www.rickystator.com/

I've always heard nothing but good about them, although I've never bought from them.

Edit: Nevermind. Found that Rick's is in NH and Ricky Stator is in CA.

Turning money into spent fossil fuels.
(Smiley crap is implied in all posts.)
wb57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 02:28 PM   #4779
Jeff B
I apologize

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb57 View Post
Even if it is an anomaly, they treated you badly and did nothing to make it right. It may have been the individual on the phone. Or maybe not.

Is the Ricks being referred to here the same as Ricky Stator that's been around for years?

http://www.rickystator.com/

I've always heard nothing but good about them, although I've never bought from them.

Edit: Nevermind. Found that Rick's is in NH and Ricky Stator is in CA.

No, not Rickystator. It was Rick's Motorsports Electrics.

Old 05-12-2012, 05:16 PM   #4780
flying_hun
Moral Hazard

Oddometer: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
When we moved from Seattle to California twenty years ago we were shocked at the lack of service every where we went. We started calling it 'California service'.
In 1989 we moved from Seattle to New Haven CT, then two years later to California. California had WONDERFUL customer service compared to CT. It was astoundingly poor. /threadjack

Hey, my clutch cable broke today. I can't remember the last time that happened to me on a streetbike. The dealer's got one on order, and it's covered under warranty, but it sure seems like an odd failure. Anyone else experience this?

TheFlyinghun Blog

EuroBARF 2014
flying_hun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 05:45 PM   #4781
ec90t
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Seat Concepts seat impressions

This is what I rode today to back-up my initial impressions of my Seat Concepts seat today. I have ZERO complaints. The seat just plain fits. Never broke down the foam one bit. The seat stayed as comfortable during the last 30 minutes of ride time as it did the first 30 minutes. The dimpled cover has plenty of traction and won't allow you to slide forward under heavy braking, though it will allow you to move if you get real aggessive while cornering.

The fit. The slight bucket hugs my posterior almost perfectly. It's about 2" wider than stock so it is more supportive and spreads the contact area. This cuts down of fatigue. The bucket slims up quick enough that it doesn't support you legs. This is a big plus in my book. Both my RDL and my Bill Mayer seats came too far forward with the bucket and made them uncomfortable. For my taste, I like the bucket to stop at the seam line between my arse and where my legs start. This is exactly where the buckets starts to narrow.

Because the seat has a slight bucket, it really holds you in one spot in a good sort of way. It doesn't make it so that you can't move, it just cradles you. The step-up provides some nice lower back support. My back is just fine after 9 hours in the saddle.

Since the seat narrows up like the factory seat, it allows me to stand up on the pegs without feeling funny. I stand a lot of the pegs to break up the monotony when I'm riding is a straight section of road, or encountering a really bumpy RR crossing. When I set back down I'm no wiggling around trying to get situated.

With the slope down to the tank gone it raises me up just enough that the peg lowering kit won't be needed. 9 hours in the saddle and my knees are just fine. I can't remember the last time I rode this long and didn't have some aching knees. I can still flat foot the bike at a stop, but just barely.

I know this seat isn't for everyone, but it is one of the best motorcycle seats I've ever sat. This one is a keeper and by far the best mod I could have made for it. I would like to ride with someone that has one of the Sargent seats just for comparison. It would be fun to ride a while then switch seats and ride a while longer.

Background: Dimpled seat cover with smooth sides. Firmer than standard foam. 290lbs suited up. 6'02" height with 32" inseam so I'm long torsoed and longer than normal reach. The seat to handlebar to peg relationship (ergo's) are the best of any motorcycle I've ever owned. I can't remember the last bike I didn't have to alter the ergo's like crazy to get them to work.
ec90t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:08 PM   #4782
ONEWIZARD
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Quote:
But it's not like I had dealt w/Rick himself. The person I talked to from Custom Rewind [I now remember his name being Gary] was in fact the owner. I wonder if the outcome would of been different had I been dealing w/the owner Rick himself. I guess theres always the chance that Gary [C.Rewind] stacked the deck on this case as an opportunity to attract business his way. I guess if someone else orders a beefed up stator from Gary and gets something less than I did we'll know for sure.

But usually I have a great talent of reading people and Gary really impressed me. His speech was effected by a stroke he survived, but he none the less communicated just fine. We talked for prolly close to an hour about motorcycles, riding, and the humors of running a business. He told me if I was ever in the area that I was welcome to stop by and visit. This is why i figure his service was genuine and prolly not an opportunity as I mentioned above.

I remember him joking about cycle electronics and saying that they have a spirit made of smoke. He said that what proves this is that anytime you see an electrical component fail you will always see the spirit [smoke] rise from it on it's way to heaven. Funny stuff.
I am new to this forum, normally post on the http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...t=16774&page=5 jn regards to the stator issue

I just purchased the compufire series regulator but am interested in this beefed up stator.

I should explain that rewinding was at one time my profession, I changed course some 32 years ago, and now specialize in induction melting inverters.

Looking at the Custom winding stator I can tell you that it was machine wound, possibly more epoxy than needed as it is poor at heat transfer, however IMO it is far surperior to OEM,and what I am saying is custom rewind is far surperior, the magnet wire has a very thin coating,the rotating permanent magnets cause a push / pull on the wire, any loose turns or places were magnet wire cross each other can cause the coating to wear, which will eventually cause a shorted turn or turns. If you look very closely at the OEM you will notice the last turns are closest to the top of the pole, that is because that is were the magnetic flux is strongest., custom rewind is similar .

The only way you can get a power increase on a PM alternator, is increase laminations, increase wire gauge, and reduce turns ( more turns= higher voltage and less current ) ( less turns = lower voltage and higher current). Keep in mind that the OEM regulator is a shunt regulator, so the alternator is at full output all the time.

I am curious as to what was actually done and if I find the time I might call Gary at Custom rewind, if I do I will post what I find out. I have a local alternator rebuild guy that does rebuilds for most of Ontario, been a long time since I was in, so don,t know if he still does bikes.

ONEWIZARD screwed with this post 05-12-2012 at 08:18 PM Reason: errors
ONEWIZARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:28 PM   #4783
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 29,858
Quote:

No problem at all. You spoke factually of your experience. That's what this site is for.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 01:22 AM   #4784
Dust_
Adventure Dreamer

Oddometer: 175
Here's mine!

14.000km and going strong! Needs new tires though

Old 05-13-2012, 11:19 AM   #4785
Jeff B
I apologize

In my opinion, a high performance stator is one that not so much has a higher peak output, but instead one that puts out more at just off idle and slower engine speeds.