ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2012, 09:54 AM   #1
Troutbum420 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Northern Colorado Rides - Suggestions?

Hey all, I have some relatives headed to Colorado this summer with their DS bikes, we're staying at my place in Red Feathers and riding daily - I am seeking advice on routes, rides, must see's in the area? Trying to stay focused on dirt and jeep trails, off road etc. To that end I intend to start planning daily rides / loops over Deadman/Laramie River Road/Rawah Wilderness/Cherokee Park areas, down to the Comanche Peaks area, up the Poudre towards Cameron Pass, Long Draw road towards Rocky Mt Nat park or the State Forest access points at Gould, Rand etc....A lot of these I have already done on my bike or jeep but was always while chasing trout & elk - never "for the ride" so what I don’t have are the better bike trails, best views, backwoods forest service roads etc. I want to give them the best tour possible while they are here. Any recommendations/experience anyone can offer is appreciated.
Troutbum420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:09 AM   #2
ItsDoAble
Ravens follow me ...

Oddometer: 115
Looks like you have it covered. If you want to stretch it out farther, you can always do the backcountry roads west of Cowdrey down to Steamboat/Buffalo Pass loop, or, over Stillwater Pass to Grand Lake/RMNP, or, 360 around Kremmling, or, Snowy Range WY, or etc., etc.. They'll love it all ..

Note: I just purchased a Benchmark Atlas of Colorado. Reasonable price for a lot of info and has just enough detail to plan a DS ride. You can always get Lat40 or NatGeo Trail maps if you want more detail of a specific area (more$).

ItsDoAble screwed with this post 04-27-2012 at 10:15 AM
ItsDoAble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:36 AM   #3
Troutbum420 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsDoAble View Post
Looks like you have it covered. If you want to stretch it out farther, you can always do the backcountry roads west of Cowdrey down to Steamboat/Buffalo Pass loop, or, over Stillwater Pass to Grand Lake/RMNP, or, 360 around Kremmling, or, Snowy Range WY, or etc., etc.. They'll love it all ..

Note: I just purchased a Benchmark Atlas of Colorado. Reasonable price for a lot of info and has just enough detail to plan a DS ride. You can always get Lat40 or NatGeo Trail maps if you want more detail of a specific area (more$).
Thanks for the info - I've got the Benchmark Atlas, GPS & some detailed topo map programs, was directed by another forum member to pick up the Colo motorcycling guide by Steve Farson too, Looking forward to seeing what we can find. Doubt we will get to the Snowy range, but will be in the Boulder Ridge area & a ride north up Sand Creek or Bull mountain over the border to the Laramie plains is probable. You ever been on the Hontzholtz lakes loop, or the Forrest service roads N x NW of the Rawah near Old Roach? I've backpacked a ton up there but it was all in the wilderness area or state forest where nothing with wheels is allowed. From a DS ride perspective I am really still learning…have calls into the forest service folks and I do some volunteer work with one of the game wardens up there so should have all our bases covered. Take care, I appreciate the suggestions.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:50 PM   #4
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutbum420 View Post
Thanks for the info - I've got the Benchmark Atlas, GPS & some detailed topo map programs, was directed by another forum member to pick up the Colo motorcycling guide by Steve Farson too, Looking forward to seeing what we can find. Doubt we will get to the Snowy range, but will be in the Boulder Ridge area & a ride north up Sand Creek or Bull mountain over the border to the Laramie plains is probable. You ever been on the Hontzholtz lakes loop, or the Forrest service roads N x NW of the Rawah near Old Roach? I've backpacked a ton up there but it was all in the wilderness area or state forest where nothing with wheels is allowed. From a DS ride perspective I am really still learning…have calls into the forest service folks and I do some volunteer work with one of the game wardens up there so should have all our bases covered. Take care, I appreciate the suggestions.
benchmark atlas will dial you in very nice
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:41 AM   #5
Troutbum420 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
benchmark atlas will dial you in very nice
Thanks eakins, appreciate your feedback. take care.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:52 PM   #6
CO_trail_rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Not sure what bikes they have or their riding ability but if you want to throw rocks and mud in the mix you can try bald mountain(South of Potbelly) ties to greenridge which will dump you out at Chambers and then take the Poudre down East to Kelly flats and swing over to lower 7 mile take it east then find the single trail up North at the top and take the single track back to Bald then back to Red feather. Small loop but certainly not easy and overall a best mix of everything for this area.
CO_trail_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:00 PM   #7
Troutbum420 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_trail_rider View Post
Not sure what bikes they have or their riding ability but if you want to throw rocks and mud in the mix you can try bald mountain(South of Potbelly) ties to greenridge which will dump you out at Chambers and then take the Poudre down East to Kelly flats and swing over to lower 7 mile take it east then find the single trail up North at the top and take the single track back to Bald then back to Red feather. Small loop but certainly not easy and overall a best mix of everything for this area.

Thank you very much for the advice, that is exactly the kind of stuff I am looking for; we’ll have some bike options depending on where we go day to day & what we’re comfortable with, I am the least experienced in the group at this point & ride a KLR but don’t plan to bomb her down singletrack & off rocks and trees - expect to have a small motocross centric DS from a pro moto buddy of mine, they will have 350 and 450’s & R1200 GS with them - again the BM'er may not see much time. I mostly ride the dirt roads up there getting from one fishing hole to another & don’t know the trails at all - but will check this all out more in the coming weekends…regardless though, no one has anything to prove - if we get into something too hairy for our skills no one will feel bad if we assess and decide to turn back, go a longer easier way around if we have to.
I haven’t ridden green ridge before but I have it on my list of possibilities to investigate further, how technical would you say that gets in August during good dry conditions? Google maps show it ends at Laramie Lake but now that you say it actually drops out at Chambers/Laramie River I see the trail on Satellite vs map view…so there’s no FS gate at the lost lake parking lot to contend with?
Old 05-12-2012, 08:43 AM   #8
CO_trail_rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Here is a low tech snap shot of what I mentioned off the colorado atlas. The only downside is the pavement riding down to Kelly flats(15miles). I have never been plated so usually run back down Green ridge. There are plenty of options to bail and take a easy way back and if you don’t have a map a free FS map or a NG map would be the best. Bald mountain is a little rough, Kelly flats steep uphill is nasty but there is a bypass if you don’t feel comfortable and most the cool parts of that trail are gone now unfortunately due to private owners mowing down the trail. Bald(FR517)GR(177)KF(168)7mile(225)swamp creek cutoff(871fun trail many don’t know about with a couple tough spots)right on bald back to town. I think you can but thru Bellaire lake but not 100% sure.
As for Green ridge it one of my favorite trails up North. It is gated both ends and there is no dry season, if the gate is open you will get thru to chambers. Its either snowed in or open and very wet and muddy. Plan on coming back soaked if you take it but it’s a fun trail. Not too technical and actually less rocky than the rest of these.
The R1200 wouldn’t like this loop as I’ve come across one on GR and he didn’t seem to be enjoying it too much. There are a bunch of break offs so if you don’t know the area I would expect a long day trip finding your way and depending on your skills possibly a very long day. As mentioned though there are a ton of ways back on the county roads or pavement. If you don’t like bald mountain there is Killpecker which is probably rockier and road 300 which is easy. I think GR technically goes all the way to dead man if you stay as far west as possible.
CO_trail_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 02:29 PM   #9
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutbum420 View Post
Thanks eakins, appreciate your feedback. take care.
your welcome.
the nice thing about benchmark maps is the use thicker red dashes for easier dirt roads and thinner red dashes for rougher roads.
not always 100% accurate but a great way to see the big picture.
there are several great dirt roads radiating out from red feather lakes.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:37 AM   #10
Troutbum420 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_trail_rider View Post
Here is a low tech snap shot of what I mentioned off the colorado atlas.
Picture is worth 1,000 words - many thanks again for all the details & the map. intended to scout your route out this weeekend but got inches of snow Saturday morning, turned to rain & continued till mid morning Sunday - not good for bike riding but great that it helped put that fire NW of the Fort. Will post some pics once I get out there in a couple of weeks. J