Old 10-22-2011, 09:07 PM   #46
Warney
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdsp View Post
Not mine, but a friend of mine just picked up a 250
[/QUOTE]

Another friend of yours just bought one too, Hi Mike!
Warney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 02:40 PM   #47
Wi1dB1ue
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Thought I'd breathe a little life into an older thread just to see if there are any other MP3 owners still here. I do most of my posting on Modernvespa (hey Ponydrvr--didn't realize you were here as well!), but came over here a year or so ago for some of the great gear deals in the flea market. I saw at least one mention of a pair of MP3s--400s I believe. This is a snap of all our babies; the middle-school-girl-sparkle-purple-nail-polish-colored 500 is the wife's ride, the other two are mine. Would love to hear from anyone out there, especially if you do your own maint--I'm getting ready to replace the sliders with some Dr. Pulleys and pop some new spark plugs into place and could use all the help I can get!

Cheers!

Wi1dB1ue screwed with this post 05-05-2012 at 02:49 PM
Wi1dB1ue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 03:24 PM   #48
ponydrvr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wi1dB1ue View Post
Thought I'd breathe a little life into an older thread just to see if there are any other MP3 owners still here. I do most of my posting on Modernvespa (hey Ponydrvr--didn't realize you were here as well!), but came over here a year or so ago for some of the great gear deals in the flea market. I saw at least one mention of a pair of MP3s--400s I believe. This is a snap of all our babies; the middle-school-girl-sparkle-purple-nail-polish-colored 500 is the wife's ride, the other two are mine. Would love to hear from anyone out there, especially if you do your own maint--I'm getting ready to replace the sliders with some Dr. Pulleys and pop some new spark plugs into place and could use all the help I can get!

Cheers!

If you need some limited help let me know. It does look like you're pretty well set though. Of course I vouldn't get there before I get back from the Southeast Gathering week after next.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:32 PM   #49
Brooktown Geezer
scooter guy

Oddometer: 481
The R1200C is awesome.
Brooktown Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:06 AM   #50
Wi1dB1ue
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooktown Geezer View Post
The R1200C is awesome.
Thanks; it's taken me almost a decade and a half to realize that I still loved my old 98 R1200C I bought in Germany way back when; enough so that I simply HAD to rekindle that flame last year when I saw this 03 Phoenix advertised on cycletrader...but I admit that for around-town-scootin', nothing beats the MP3 for sheer mindless fun!
Old 05-07-2012, 09:19 PM   #51
Graniteone
3,2,1...Beer me!

Oddometer: 421
Update for me: I ended up buying a MP3 500 for the wife for her birthday in December. She really didn't get much time on it because of the winter weather till March. At first it was way too heavy for her and she was having trouble with it and her confidence was shaken. She had ridden some smaller scoots but this was her first big bike. In retrospect I think it was too much weight for her to deal with. The 500 is a heavy bike!

We practiced a lot of drills in and around our neighborhood till she was feeling more secure. She took a MSF class which really helped reinforce what I had been telling her. Now she rides it all the time and recently started taking it to work 20 miles away.

On days she doesn't take it to work I have been putting it thru a serious work out on the twisty roads around here. What a hoot. I have chased some of the sport bike guys around and made them feel insecure. Too funny! Cool bike just wish it was made as a dual sport.

Madstad windshield is a must.
Graniteone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:38 PM   #52
Beez
Given to fly

Oddometer: 5,773
Top box mounts

BeezWife got an MP500 last spring. This winter we got a foster dog who loves to ride in the car and stick his head in the wind as much as possible. Way more that our other 2 dogs. So we thought he might be a moto dog. To test it we got a cheap but sturdy bin, hardware, a harness and some doggles. So what did Floyd think of riding?

I think that pretty much sums it up.

Problem is this rig is bolted directly to the stock grab rails. It is difficult and time consuming to take off and when it is on the seat will not open.

Ideally she would like a quick release on the stock rails that will accept a top box or Floyd's bin.

Any suggestions?
Beez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:38 AM   #53
Wi1dB1ue
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beez View Post

Problem is this rig is bolted directly to the stock grab rails. It is difficult and time consuming to take off and when it is on the seat will not open.

Ideally she would like a quick release on the stock rails that will accept a top box or Floyd's bin.

Any suggestions?
I'm no engineer, but this occured to me when I read your post. The stock OEM top box is quick release--you can easily remove it and take it with you. The mounting plate that secures to the bottom of the box bolts to the mounting bracket by four corner bolts; there is enough space between the plate and the mount to run a pretty hearty piece of straight aluminum/metal between the bolts. Make it wide enough so that the sides of the metal piece braces against the support bolts--wrap in some foam insulation or other vibration dampening material so it doesn't rattle between the bolts. Next make a small false bottom for the bin (wood, plastic, whatever) if you need to isolate your dog's butt from the materials; cut a slit on both sides of the bottom of the bin and slide another piece of similarly sized aluminum through that opening; seal and secure through the slits in the bin--maybe JB weld and liquid electrical tape or something similar (I dunno, I'm just spitballing this part)

Now you should have two long pieces of metal, each with ends hanging out past the sides of the bin and mounting plate, essentially making a sandwich with the bin's bottom and mounting plate between them. Line up and drill some holes on the top and bottom pieces of aluminum/metal and run some bolts between them with nylon spacers/washers and rubber gaskets, again to lessen vibrations. Then either snake a couple of locks through two of the holes on one side, or use wingnuts on those bolts, so they can easily be removed...and then you simply slide the whole contraption out the other side when not in use. Paint it black and reduce the fugly factor to taste.

There may well be a more elegant solution, but I figured this at least could be accomplished without modifying the OEM mounting hardware or top box, and could be DIY'd for pretty cheap.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:39 AM   #54
trirol1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
can't see the pics ---
trirol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:50 PM   #55
Vulfy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 561
MP3 - 400 here. Bought it with a wreck title for a steal, and had some minor work done on it at a dealership. 100% functional but never got to register the damn thing, since I have to get it to DMV's office for inspection. So it "sits" in my friend's garage. Gotta finish this damn paperwork and finally enjoy her fully. My wife loves riding this thing, its very comfy for 2-up. I like it too, very good scoot.
I'm seeing more and more of them here in NYC. Mostly its the sportier versions without the trunk.
Vulfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:04 PM   #56
Fuzzy74
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Modern Vespa

Best source of information for MP3s is here: http://modernvespa.com/forum/forum13

14 of us spent a few days in the North Carolina Blue Ridge Parkway area last week. Details: here: http://modernvespa.com/forum/topic98270

There will be a get together in North GA in September. Watch ModernVespa for details.
Fuzzy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 05:27 PM   #57
phillyrube
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,031
Been looking at something for the wife, since she had to sell her VStar Classic after some back surgery. The Can-Am is a no-go, she was really uncomfortable on it. Took a look at a 2008 MP3400, 500 miles on it today. I rode it around, and coming from my Harley Road Glide and Honda ST1300, this thing was FUN!! Didn't play much with the lean lock, and once I got out of the habit of trying to slip the 'clutch' (with resultant wheel grab) in tight turns, it was pretty cool. The wife, tho, could barely tiptoe it stopped. She is 5-2. Anyone have the seat cut down so they could flat foot it? Her Yamaha had a 25" height, but I don't see getting 5" out of this seat.
phillyrube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 05:55 PM   #58
ponydrvr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
I've not heard of anyone getting 5 inches out of the seat height. One of my lady friends who is 5-2 found some boots with lifts. I'm thinking they were in the 2-3" range. The seat might also be modified to make it more narrow in the front and reduce the height reduction needs.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:37 AM   #59
Beezwife
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyrube View Post
Been looking at something for the wife, since she had to sell her VStar Classic after some back surgery. The Can-Am is a no-go, she was really uncomfortable on it. Took a look at a 2008 MP3400, 500 miles on it today. I rode it around, and coming from my Harley Road Glide and Honda ST1300, this thing was FUN!! Didn't play much with the lean lock, and once I got out of the habit of trying to slip the 'clutch' (with resultant wheel grab) in tight turns, it was pretty cool. The wife, tho, could barely tiptoe it stopped. She is 5-2. Anyone have the seat cut down so they could flat foot it? Her Yamaha had a 25" height, but I don't see getting 5" out of this seat.
I'm not completely certain how much but I know it is possible to shave a good deal off the seat. I'm 5'4" and am planning to send my MP3 500 seat here: http://www.pirateupholstery.com/ I've heard good things about them specifically about the seats they do for the MP3s. I need to lower my seat a bit, and I need to do something about comfort - it is tough for long rides.
Beezwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:33 PM   #60
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,392
I think the customer actually did it themselves, but though you aren't going to be able to shave 5" off the top, just trimming and reshaping the side of the nose of the seat does wonders for being able to reach the ground.

I'd say the customer is around 5'2" and though she's not flat footing it, she has zero problems holding it up since she trimmed the side of the seat.
Owned to date. Honda Aero 50, Honda Elite 80, Honda Elite 250x2, Suzuki Katana, Suzuki RF600, Yamaha YZF1000R, Kymco Xciting 500, Suzuki GS500, Suzuki Burgman 650, BMW F800GSx2, BMW S1000RR, Aprilia Scarabeo 200, Aprilia Caponord, Aprilia Sportcity 250
I love and miss you Jeneca and I'm sorry.
JoelWisman is offline   Reply With Quote