Oddometer: 1,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaDakota View Post
The pivo will be chilled!

Na zdravi!
Old 04-24-2012, 11:15 AM   #138
THREE LEGGED DOG

Oddometer: n/a
Matman72 sorry about your mishap, as the former owner of your rig i was amazed after a getoff in n. Ga mountans on an off-road event[ it rolled 4 times ,towed up the hill by a passing jeep] it cranked and i finnished the event urals take a lickin..................
Old 04-24-2012, 04:39 PM   #139
matman1972
Lost in the woods.

Oddometer: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by THREE LEGGED DOG View Post
Matman72 sorry about your mishap, as the former owner of your rig i was amazed after a getoff in n. Ga mountans on an off-road event[ it rolled 4 times ,towed up the hill by a passing jeep] it cranked and i finnished the event urals take a lickin..................
Good to hear from you Jon.
She's a trooper. I bought her from you as an introductory to sidecars, and after 24000 km in one season, shes not leaving my possession. Love the bike.
Confusion to our enemies.Zaphod for president!!
matman1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:06 PM   #140
Leaf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 398
How's it going? :3

Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:18 AM   #141
MotoJ OP
Mobtown Hacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf View Post
How's it going? :3

Stalled a little. The bike is all together and wired, tank sealed, but still haven't tried to start her up- I need help getting her out of the basement. Exit is a 30" door with a 12" high curb sill. Takes a little manhandling, even with ramps. Leaks at dampeners in the forks, oil pan, and transmission drain plug that need to be addressed. Nothing major.

Still working on the valve adjustment trying to get the compression up. Only about 40lbs now. I think the rings just need to seat some (I hope!). I have it timed at no advance so the points are just cracked at TDC, gapped to .45mm on each lobe. Should I be advanced or not when setting the gap?
I have the set screw in the points case set so that the plate stops just short of full advance.

Not sure what else to do there- anyone know how to time these flatties with manual advance?

I was going to save the reveal for later, but technically she's not done, so here's where I am now:

I'll post all the progress pics later, showing how I got to this point....

Please excuse my basement! I need to clean up and get some order to things again...

MotoJ screwed with this post 05-09-2012 at 06:46 AM
MotoJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:35 AM   #142
Prmurat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 804
Beautiful!!! Just FYI.. I am going to see a K750 today and I am blaming you for any consequence!!!
Do you know if the forks of a CJ are compatible with Dnepr?? I just saw a front disc brake kit!! (i have problems with my right arm and any help for stopping if welcome, drums are usually a nono!).
Thank you and keep the photos coming!!
Prmurat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:30 AM   #143
Biebs
BMW Airhead

Oddometer: 455
Thumb Come a long way from this!!!

Looks great your time and effort to save / restore this unit is comendable and 50 years from now when this is still running your efforts will be appreciated - kinda like an artist who's work is not valued until he is gone!!!

Biebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:42 AM   #144
MotoJ OP
Mobtown Hacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prmurat View Post
Beautiful!!! Just FYI.. I am going to see a K750 today and I am blaming you for any consequence!!!
Do you know if the forks of a CJ are compatible with Dnepr?? I just saw a front disc brake kit!! (i have problems with my right arm and any help for stopping if welcome, drums are usually a nono!).
Thank you and keep the photos coming!!
I like the K750s- 4 more horsepower than the M72- blinding speed!

I wouls think CJ forks are compatible or at least could be machined to fit somehow. You might have to press a longer stem in or machine for bearings or something, but I'm sure they could be made to work. The M1 CJ forks are direct copies of the M72. No disc brake mod though.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:44 AM   #145
MotoJ OP
Mobtown Hacker

looks great your time and effort to save / restore this unit is comendable and 50 years from now when this is still running your efforts will be appreciated - kinda like an artist who's work is not valued until he is gone!!!

Thanks Biebs! Not running yet though. The whole thing could still go Kablooey! That's when i cut my ear off...
Old 05-09-2012, 09:13 AM   #146
matman1972
Lost in the woods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoJ View Post
Stalled a little. The bike is all together and wired, tank sealed, but still haven't tried to start her up- I need help getting her out of the basement. Exit is a 30" door with a 12" high curb sill. Takes a little manhandling, even with ramps. Leaks at dampeners in the forks, oil pan, and transmission drain plug that need to be addressed. Nothing major.

Still working on the valve adjustment trying to get the compression up. Only about 40lbs now. I think the rings just need to seat some (I hope!). I have it timed at no advance so the points are just cracked at TDC, gapped to .45mm on each lobe. Should I be advanced or not when setting the gap?
I have the set screw in the points case set so that the plate stops just short of full advance.

Not sure what else to do there- anyone know how to time these flatties with manual advance?

I was going to save the reveal for later, but technically she's not done, so here's where I am now:

I'll post all the progress pics later, showing how I got to this point....

Please excuse my basement! I need to clean up and get some order to things again...
Just FYI, when I did my last rebuild with new cylinders, pistons and rings, I ended up with between 50-60 psi cold with the kickstarter. Went up to about 80-90 warm with the kick after riding. 2500km later, it is around 130-135 warm now. It does tend to build as the rings seat.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:48 AM   #147
MotoJ OP
Mobtown Hacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by matman1972 View Post
Just FYI, when I did my last rebuild with new cylinders, pistons and rings, I ended up with between 50-60 psi cold with the kickstarter. Went up to about 80-90 warm with the kick after riding. 2500km later, it is around 130-135 warm now. It does tend to build as the rings seat.
Matt, thanks for that info- I was lying awake last night wondering what I did wrong!
Old 05-09-2012, 10:39 AM   #148
J-Dub
Combat Commuter

Oddometer: 252
This is so cool! I'm always looking forward to updates to this thread. Thanks so much for sharing your progress. I think this aesthetic is what every new Ural buyer is after, and we're all willing to accept the shortcomings in outright speed and maybe reliability just to get a little piece of this nostalgia. Love it!
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
1965 Triumph TR-6 S/R
J-Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:30 PM   #149
matman1972
Lost in the woods.

Quote:
Matt, thanks for that info- I was lying awake last night wondering what I did wrong!

Now, if it doesn't rise as it warms... Then stay up at night worrying....
Old 05-13-2012, 03:25 AM   #150
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,752
WOW!!! It looks great, glad to see it in showroom (Maybe better?) condition.
Quote:

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote