Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2012, 06:21 PM   #31
Infracaninophile OP
Finding My Way..

Oddometer: 7,511
Cool weather today in the high 40's/low 50's so thought I'd pass on riding. But my wife had a hair appointment today for 2+ hours so I grabbed my jacket and took the BV350 out. Was just going to go for a little 10 mile ride but came back 2.5 hours later with 110 miles for the day. A bit of everything including about 25 miles on the interstate at 65-75 to connect one road to another. No issues at all. The bike has averaged about 64+ MPG so far on my fill ups and the bit of high speed running on the interstate seemed to have no effect on the MPG.

Going to check the oil, learn how to check the trans, and check the air pressure tomorrow and then take it out again. This was my first 100 mile scooter day and I had absolutely no issues. I think I'll try a 150-200 miler the next time it's nice and warm.

T.

Infracaninophile screwed with this post 05-12-2012 at 06:48 PM
Infracaninophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:45 PM   #32
conchscooter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,710
You might be surprised...

...by what a Vespa can do...

....and where you can find yourself:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=236885

My GTS gave up after 10,000 miles but I liked it a lot before the electrics gave out on it.

IBA#39,523
conchscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 05:30 AM   #33
TheReaper!
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infracaninophile View Post
My wife wanted a scooter to ride to her new job which is 8 miles away. Downtown and all that. We started research a month ago. Then test rides. Ruled out the 49cc 2-strokes as too anemic. She already rides a motorcycle so the motorcycle endorsement thing here in Colorado was a non-issue. We then both test rode 125,170, 200 and then 250's. The 250's and bigger seemed awesome for our elevation. Last Sunday we drove a used Kymco 500 maxi-scooter and it was waaaaay too big, long and heavy.

She found a brand new, leftover 2010 Vespa GTS300 Super in Denver at a dealer with a price of $4499. Local dealer here charges $6500 for new 2012 GTS 300 Super's. We went up today and did the test ride and she loved it. She was really itching for the "classic" Vespa look.

While she was doing that they rolled a new, 2013 (really?) Piaggio BV350 onto the floor. 1 mile on the odo. I was drooling. It was black and looked just right for me. Wife drove it and didn't like it as much as the Vespa. We compromised: She bought both. It was the only one they had and I think they're pretty rare. Got both scoots home this afternoon and then took them out for a 25 mile local ride.

It was awesome. I've been a motorcycle rider since age 5 but the scoots are really fun and my wife loves her. Tomorrow we dig in and learn how to check oil, tire pressure, etc....

Never thought I'd end up in this forum on AdvRider.

Tom

Over time you will find yourself using your scooter more and more , plain and simple it’s just easier to get it out and about .
Then the more you can carry on your scooter the more possibilities and opportunities you will have to make use of it . I too
drove motorcycles for years , 50 years to be exact . I went to a scooter and a Big Ruckus in particular for two reasons , I was
sick to death of all that shifting around town , and the Big Ruckus could carry a mega trunk . I’m a retired bachelor and in the
summer I find that the Big Ruckus easily takes care of 90% of my transportation needs . While some thing like this is not for
every one , it works well for me and my son who has one just like it . For me the rule is the more I can carry on it the more I use
it .

TheReaper!

TheReaper! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:16 AM   #34
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbolling View Post
Thanks for the Pics. I love both of those scooters. Great choices.

How is the leg room on the BV350? I am 6'1" with a 34" inseam and feel cramped on lots of scooters.
I couldn't get comfortable on one, and I'm 5'11".

Had more then a few rides on the 300 (looks the same) and the 350
recently. The Kymco People 300 has A LOT more room on board.

I kept pushing myself back in the buttstop, but couldn't push myself
as much as I wanted on the BV.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:18 AM   #35
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeClone View Post
more about the power delivery and trans

The BV 350 touts an all-new engine designed to pack the power of a 400cc into a 350cc package. This is accomplished through changes in lubrication, the bore/stroke ratio, and the crankcase. The model will also be among the first scooters to offer ABS/ASR (anti-lock and anti-skid) brakes. However, the new transmission — different than anything else on the road — is the BV 350′s most innovative feature. The multi-plate wet clutch promises to be much more efficient that the centrifugal ones in current scooters, and will require far less maintenance

http://www.scooterfile.com/oems/piag...piaggio-bv350/
The bolded part - Tmax got that years ago..

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
Old 05-14-2012, 12:52 PM   #36
Infracaninophile OP
Finding My Way..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
I couldn't get comfortable on one, and I'm 5'11".

Had more then a few rides on the 300 (looks the same) and the 350
recently. The Kymco People 300 has A LOT more room on board.

I kept pushing myself back in the buttstop, but couldn't push myself
as much as I wanted on the BV.
I'm 6 1/4" with a 33-34" inseam. I fit comfortable. I did a 110 mile ride w/o stopping (getting off the bike) on Saturday and was absolutely fine. I found the bike just as comfortable as most other bikes I've had. My other rides are a KTM950 and a BMW R100GSPD (old airhead) which are much larger bikes. I think I could do a 250-500 mile day on this bike.

Just commuted to work today for the first time. Felt wonderful.

Tom

Infracaninophile screwed with this post 05-14-2012 at 12:58 PM
Old 05-14-2012, 09:17 PM   #37
trirol1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
congrats on the BV350 and the Super
trirol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:03 PM   #38
Infracaninophile OP
Finding My Way..

Boxes have started to arrive

Some boxes from Scooter Works and ScootersWest (mostly) are arriving. All of these are parts for my wife's Vespa.

So far have decided to add:

1. Sidestand - The US GTS models do not come with a sidestand which is weird. It means my wife has to dismount and then put the bike on the center stand. I assume this is a legal thing. I found a Vespa OEM sidestand that is self-retracting and it will mount to the bike with the existing mounting point. Conversely, my Piaggo BV350 came with a sidestand standard that is NOT self-retracting but does have a safety switch. Smart and fool proof. Will install this later today. It seems 50/50 whether people like these or not. Doesn't matter, wife wants it.

2. Windshield. The Vespa did not come with any windshield on the model we got. But the good news is that there are lots of options. Initial order was the OEM short Vespa screen and the mid-height smoked Faco screen. Each comes with mounting hardware so once the windshield is assembled it doesn't take very long to switch from one to the other. I think she might go with the mid-height until the middle of summer and then switch to the shorter.

3. Bling. She wants bling. Since the entire body of the Vespa is metal, and she saw these on another used scooter, I ordered the chrome OEM Vespa rear crash bars. On their way now. Pending install. Bling

4. Rear Givi rack on it's way from Canada (via eBay) along with a 30L Givi top box in white on it's way from Amazon. Pending Install. Top box is primarily to put the helmet in while she's at work. She wears a full face and doesn't like carrying it.

5. Front rack. I think she wants to put her briefcase here. Not sure. Might just be bling. OEM Vespa ordered as it mounts via 3 holes you drill with a template instead of hanging brackets over the top and bottom. Should arrive today. Pending Install.

Pics soon.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:35 PM   #39
Brooktown Geezer
scooter guy

Oddometer: 481
Enjoy, but be careful with the side stand on the Vespa. They self-retract when the weight is off the scoot and if you aren't ready for it, the scoot can be on the ground. Also, don't use it where the ground is uneven or soft, or where it may get bumped by passers by.

I have one on my GT200 and I like it for limited purposes, but it doesn't work like a regular motorcycle stand.

Best,

Len
Brooktown Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:40 PM   #40
TheReaper!
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooktown Geezer View Post
Enjoy, but be careful with the side stand on the Vespa. They self-retract when the weight is off the scoot and if you aren't ready for it, the scoot can be on the ground. Also, don't use it where the ground is uneven or soft, or where it may get bumped by passers by.

I have one on my GT200 and I like it for limited purposes, but it doesn't work like a regular motorcycle stand.

Best,

Len
YUP ! the side stands aren't worth a damn , I never NEVER EVER use mine .

TheReaper!
TheReaper! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:39 PM   #41
Infracaninophile OP
Finding My Way..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooktown Geezer View Post

Best,

Len
Yes, that was all factored into the decision. My wife is smart enough and has even ridden motorcycles with self-retracting before. It's primary purpose is to allow her to dismount and THEN deploy the sidestand. We did a one hour ride tonight and she's happy with it. She is aware of the pros and cons and made a decision. I just implemented it. It was easy to install, used grease and both springs. The bike COMES with the sidestand tab welded to the frame. It's just the US (and perhaps some other countries) that don't put a sidestand on. My Piaggio came with one that is linked to a sidestand switch. That would be my preferred choice all along. Weird.

If other people here don't like their sidestands it won't hurt my feelings.

She really liked the Vespa low screen so it's staying. Will keep the Falco mid in the box until it gets cool or she wants it on there. The OEM Vespa screen definitely has better mounting hardware. Some of the Falco is plastic and the metal brackets are not all that great. Some of the reviews on ModernVespa said that, but Vespa doesn't appear to make a mid-height screen for the GTS bikes. You have to move to a super tall one which would never work. Neither of us can ever ride a bike where we look THROUGH the screen.

So, today was a success. Also got the factory Vespa service manual in printed form along with the printed parts manual. That will come in handy. After the initial 600 mile service I'd like to do all of the maintenance I can myself as I have a lift and tools and like to do that kind of stuff.

Tomorrow the front rack and rear crash guards should arrive. The crash guards are apparently a 30 minute job to install and she really liked them on one of the used bikes we rode last week. The front rack has to be drilled and is supposed to come with a template. We'll have to see about that.

Mounted my car GPS onto her bike with a RAM mount tonight just to see how close her speedo is to reality. It's about 5MPH high in the 30-70 range. I mounted it on my BV350 yesterday and my speedo is about the same. The only difference is the speedo on the Vespa reads in MPH while the Piaggio has KPH on the outside ring and MPH in smaller letters inside it. Now I know I can just subtract 5MPH from the reading and I'm good.

Had a nice 60 minute ride though the suburbs tonight and it was awesome.

T.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:18 PM   #42
Infracaninophile OP
Finding My Way..

Windshield went on yesterday. She likes it. She commuted to work (8 miles each way) today with it and it works wonders.

The GTS300 Super comes without a rear rack. Which is fine as we wanted a Givi box. The rack arrived today. Via an ebay seller in Canada. Ten minute install job and then the small 30 litre Givi box on top. Will holder her helmet when at work and odds and ends. The Givi rack without the
plastic mounting adapter plate looks awesome by itself even. Much nicer than the OEM Vespa IMHO.

The OEM Vespa chrome crash bars arrived today. Will try that install tomorrow or over the weekend. From research it looks like a 30 minute job.

Tom
Old 05-18-2012, 04:24 AM   #43
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Probably a bad time to tell you that there's a white version of that
topcase, right?

Old 05-18-2012, 05:55 AM   #44
Infracaninophile OP
Finding My Way..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
Probably a bad time to tell you that there's a white version of that
topcase, right?

Cortez:

No. I know there's a white and it can be had here. Got the matte black as the rear reflector is RED. If the white came with RED reflectors might have considered it. The clear lenses don't, IMHO, help drivers behind you see the bike any better.

Tom
Old 05-18-2012, 05:58 AM   #45
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Possibly true, but they do, also, reflect.

And working in the bike & accessory business.. you can NOT sell a red reflector
topcase to ANYONE these days! Maybe one in fifty!

It's all about the cool factor.
Who cares if you get killed.