Any BJJ'ers here?

Discussion in 'Sports' started by woolsocks, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Skowinski

Skowinski opposable thumbs

Oddometer:
    Our school was just recently (last spring) changed to a Gracie school. Before that it was Mica Cipili's school, still is, but now with the Gracie tag on it.

schwartzkm - you must have learned a lot of judo in 7 years! I think the two sports should be put back together. That is the way they originally started, then diverged into the all stand-up of olympic judo and the (basically) all ground work of brazilian jiu jitsu. I'm trying to start going to some of our judo classes....

Edit: to add video - this happens a couple of times a year at our school. I think I'll stay at blue belt!

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SXGd4uxiI3A?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SXGd4uxiI3A?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
  2. Skowinski

Oddometer:
    On the wall at our dojo:

[​IMG]
  3. Cainer

Cainer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Purple belt at Dark Horse BJJ in Longmont, CO. Doing it now for about 6 years. I know a lot of guys who train who are also big into motorcycling, but great to see there are several BJJ players on ADV!
  4. Skowinski

Oddometer:
    Congrats man, purple is a long ways to go in this sport! :thumb

Don't think there are many of us on ADVRider.... :lol3
  5. woolsocks

woolsocks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been a purple belt for 1 year now (I've been training for 4.5 years now) and I just got my first bike, a 2006 Ninja 650R a few weeks ago. The bike is all stock except for a fender eliminator and some frame sliders I just installed this week.

BJJ is my passion! When I'm on the mats, I feel alive. My brain "shuts off" and my body just does what it does. I'm just in the moment and forget about the outside world. I love the mental aspect of the game, I love the technicalities and the constant learning. I love trying to get better at something by giving it my all by putting in my blood, sweat and tears. I love the journey. I love competing and I love the community of teammates and close friends that I've built. I teach beginners and children on the weekends, I'm on the mats every day and I compete as often as I can. I'm moving towards a job in the martial arts industry and hope I can share the benefits of BJJ with others.

Since I bought my bike I've been taking it really slow and haven't gone faster than 40 mph--mostly just parking lot work so far. I'm still getting used to the slow maneuvers and how the bike feels, but one thing I'm really struggling with is weighing the benefits of motorcycling vs the risks or injuring myself and dealing with the possibility of not having BJJ in my life :cry :eek1 Anyone else have a similar internal debate?
  6. PoundSand

PoundSand Long timer

Oddometer:
    no. enjoy both. and be careful, but quit being such a wuss on thee bike and open it up a little. :p
  7. woolsocks

Oddometer:
    Hey, nice Pooh Bear in your profile picture! Very cute! :lol3

I'm going to take the bike out this weekend on some back roads near my house this weekend and "open it up a little".
  8. Skowinski

Oddometer:
    Hi guys, good to see this thread getting some input! I'm off the matt for a couple of weeks, picked up some ringworm. :bluduh Who brought it to the dojo I guess is impossible to know, but once it's there you gotta kick folks off the matt for sure. Good thing this is relatively rare. Oh well, more Lamisil! :lol3
  9. woolsocks

Oddometer:
    I'm happy to say that I took the bike out on some country roads today for a short 20 mile loop. I got the bike up to 63mph haha! Also passed a bunch of bikers and waved, but got no waves back...oh well...

That sucks. I actually have it right now, but I am on meds and can still train. I'm on Terbinafine oral tablets (terbinafine is the generic term for Lamisil) for 6 weeks. I went to a tournament a few weeks back and I am certain that I got it there. Lots of the competitors were walking around barefooted in the bathrooms and then walking on the mats. It goes without saying, but of course fecal matter, urine and grappling don't mix too well :lol3 It started in my hair and then started to spread to my face and chest, I didn't catch it for about a weeks time because it was underneath my head hair and beard hair. The doc told me after about a week of treatment that you can get back on the mats, just keep the wounds covered and of course wash all your gear after class and make sure to wipe out the inside of your gym bag with disinfectant wipes. If you have a mild case of the ringworm, try using Selsun blue shampoo in your hair and on your body. It's cheap and it kills ringworm before it gets too bad! I'm going to now always bring some body wipes to tournaments to wipe down immediately after I compete. Taking a shower with antibacterial soap would be ideal, but it's not always an option.
  10. Skowinski

Oddometer:
    Congrats on the bike!

Funny though, I have the opposite concern. I get worried that I will be injured on the mat, and then not be able to make a big ride, like the one coming up starting next weekend in Moab. Or, worry about the kind of thing that happened a few years ago - I was all set up to meet my brother for our once a year get together for a big trail run. Had flights booked, had spent several months building my mileage up and was in really good shape, ready to go. Then, on the mat two nights before I was supposed to fly out, and I really tweaked my knee. Had to cancel our run that we had waited months for! My brother was like "you idiot, why were you wrestling sweaty men just before our big run?" :lol3

Sounds like the terbanifine tablets are prescription. That would be the way to go. I've never had the stuff in my hair though, just a few spots here and there, hands, back of neck usually. My first experience with this rot was high school wrestling, that was a long time ago for me. :brow
  11. woolsocks

Oddometer:
    After 5 years of training I've only broken my thumb! I train hard and get minor injuries all the time, but the thumb sidelined me for 2 months. Other than that, it's been relatively injury free.
  12. Skowinski

Oddometer:
    I broke my toe once, and separated my ribs once. Those, and the tweaked knee (MRI showed nothing, so it really was ok). I've gotten off pretty lightly.

My wife though... 12 years in judo... her list of broken bones is pretty long and she blew out both ACL's and had to get them replaced, about 2 years apart. Ouch.

I think jiu jitsu is a bit more gentle on the body. :D
  13. Skowinski

Oddometer:
    Is there anything worse than feeling yourself locked in a triangle choke that is getting tighter and tighter?

<object width="480" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Lk-jfLCNSGc?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Lk-jfLCNSGc?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
  14. barbwire44

barbwire44 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another BJJ'r here. Started BJJ in 2004, trained gi- only for about 2 years and got my blue belt, then got into MMA in 2006, pretty much gave up the gi for no-gi grappling fought a little off and on until 2008, trained about another year hit or miss after and my coach moved to Virginia and now coaches the yamasaki mma division in virginia, so went back to BJJ only with original instructor who retired in the spring of 2011. Nothing else since, got a call last night another grappling gym opening up and the coach is one of my old training partners so I expect to be back in action by July. Really miss the rolling and am excited to get back at it.
  15. Skowinski

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  16. Patrol

Patrol VALE 46!

Oddometer:
    I trained in traditional Jiujutsu for 12 years, before BJJ caught on in North America. Can I still come to the party?